GodFawk I just ran 8 miles :wtc:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mac Daddy, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

:wtc: :wtc: :wtc: My legs are about to die. I feel so shitty right now. My stomach hurts and my calfs are shot. This is the farthest I have ever ran in my life though:bowdown: I averaged about 10-11 minutes a mile because I wanted to pace myself. I ran the whole thing but stopped at the end of the trail for 1 minute then turned around and didn't stop. Felt great but the last mile was a killer because my body just didn't want to work anymore and my calfs were on fire. Right now I feel like complete shit and everything generally hurts. But I do feel accomplished. Btw listening to music really does help and a little AMP won't hurt either.

2. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

nice... i need to start running more. I need to ease into it though as I get a lot of pain when running. I was thinking about doing a 5k this summer...

You considering doing a race any time in the future? If nothing else its something to train for.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'd love to be able to run like that...

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Why? Do you not own a car?

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

[​IMG]

3 ultra-athletes endure sand, heat to run across Sahara Desert

By ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
    February 20, 2007

IN THE WESTERN DESERT, Egypt (AP) -- Three ultra-endurance athletes have just done something most would consider insane: They ran the equivalent of two marathons a day for 111 days to become the first modern runners to cross the Sahara Desert's grueling 4,000 miles.

"It will take time to sink in ... but this is an absolutely once in a life time thing. They say ignorance is bliss, and now that I know how hard this is, I would never consider crossing the Sahara on foot again," said American runner Charlie Engle, 44, hours after he and the others completed the run at Egypt's Red Sea.

Engle said he, Canadian Ray Zahab, 38, and Kevin Lin, 30, of Taiwan, ran the final stretch of their journey that took them through the Giza pyramids and Cairo to the mouth of Suez Canal on four hours of sleep. Once they hit the Red Sea, they put their hands in the water to signify crossing the finish line.

"We touched the water in Senegal at the beginning, and we touched the water in the Red Sea at the end. They were the bookends of our journey," Engle, of Greensboro, North Carolina, said on the telephone from a hotel room in Cairo.

In less than four months, they have run across the world's largest desert, through six countries -- Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Libya and finally Egypt.

A film crew followed them, chronicling the desert journey for actor Matt Damon's production company, LivePlanet. Damon plans to narrate the "Running the Sahara" documentary.

The trek is one of extremes. The relentless sun can push temperatures above 100 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, but at night it sometimes dips below freezing. Strong winds can abruptly send sand swooping in every direction, making it difficult to see and breathe.

Running through turbulent conditions is nothing new for these athletes who have traveled the world competing in adventure races. But they say nothing has tested their physical and mental limitations like the Sahara.

Throughout the run, the runners have been stricken with tendinitis, severe diarrhea, cramping and knee injuries all while running through the intense heat and wind -- often without a paved road in sight.

"This has been a life changing event," Engle said.

The runners say they undertook the challenge to see if they could accomplish something that many have called impossible. They use GPS devices to track their route and teamed up with local experts and a host of sports professionals who also followed them, along with the documentary crew, in four-wheel drive vehicles.

Typically, the three began each day with a 4 a.m. wake-up call. About an hour later, they started running. Around noon, they took a lunch break at a makeshift camp, devouring pasta, tuna and vegetables. A short nap on thin mattresses in a yellow-domed tent usually followed before they headed out on the second leg of their day's run.

Finally, around 9:30 p.m., they called it quits each day, returning to camp for a protein and carbohydrate-packed dinner before passing out for the night.

Despite the preparation and drive to finish, the runners said they often questioned -- mostly to themselves -- what they were doing. Zahab described stopping one recent day for a bathroom break only to discover the wind was blowing so harshly that he couldn't keep the sand out of his clothes. "And I thought to myself, 'What the hell am I doing?"' he said.

But Zahab kept going, as did the other two, never skipping a day. Most days the three ran a total of 44 to 50 miles -- sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

They were interviewed by The Associated Press on Saturday -- day 108 -- on the side of a road about 112 miles from Cairo in Egypt's harsh Western Desert, part of the greater Sahara.

At several points in their trek, the athletes stopped near sparsely populated wells to talk with villagers and nomads about the difficulties they face finding water. That marked another goal of the run -- raising awareness for the clean water nonprofit group H2O Africa.

"We have seen firsthand the need for clean water, which we take for granted in North America. It's such a foundation for any community," Zahab said during day 108's lunch break. The three plan to fund-raise for the group after they return home and finish recuperating.

"It started off as a huge motivator, especially as we passed through countries where the water wasn't clean," Engle said.

But as the trio's bodies became more depleted, the focus was "the day-to-day battle to stay alive and keep moving," he said.

6. DatacomGuy

:rofl: :rofl:

I guess for the sense of accomplishment. I've never been able to run that well.

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle *lube'n up the shock paddles*

DRINK WATER! You need to hydrate you bastard!:mamoru:

Anyways, you're are my hero...wish I could run but I'd give myself black eyes.

8. DatacomGuy

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

FUCK ASIAT!!! I wanna see those haymakers!!!

10. BYGDK

BYGDK "It's nice to be important, but it's more importan

wow nice!

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Ok yea thats insane. A marathon will kill most people for at least a week after running it. But these guys ran a marathon and did it again in one day and were able to do it again everyday for 1/3 of a year:eek3: They must have knees of steel.

12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Thanks:wavey: I've always been a bad runner though. But after wrestling season my endurance is crazy. It was so fucking weird at the halfway point I wasn't even breathing hard or tired at all.

13. I Pwn Noobs

I Pwn Noobs Guest

how did your wrestling season go? What was your record? Did you place at state?

14. Carrera

Carrera OT Supporter

I used to be able to run 4 miles no problem, and then i started smoking...

15. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Good on you man!

I split my cardio up.

I do a 10k once a week, takes about 46 minutes, I try to average an 8 minute mile.

It can hurt like hell the first few times you do it, but your body gets used to it.

16. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

Last year in XC I ran 7 miles...I need to get running again now that it's almost spring, and try to beat that..

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I adore running and I hope to get back to racing sometime this year- but I'll be the first to say, if you're not racing, I don't see the point of long distance runs. HIIT, sure- that's just sprints. But longer distances for regular sessions *are* hell on the joints.

18. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Shiiiiaaaayyyyyt, I ain't running no where unless a 500 pound gorilla is chasing me with a really BIG GUN or Krispy Kreame starts giving away donuts!!:rofl:

19. Aradia

Aradia New Member

Thats awesome! :bigthumb:

Yep...u need todrink some water...and OJ or eat a bannana. Potassium FTW

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

:rofl: :rofl:

21. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Oh no joke man. I had oranges like an hour after and I felt so much better.

22. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Didn't keep track of my actual record for the season by I would say it was about 50/50 win/loss. It's was only my second year wrestling and it was an overall good experience. I was Jv soph year then this year my senior year I made varsity.

Thanks for the support everyone. It feels awesome to be able to run for that far. Best run of my life.

23. DatacomGuy

What about the sense of accomplishment? :)

24. Elfling

Elfling New Member

That's what multiple orgasms are for. :wiggle:

25. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

nice going man! i ran 10 miles on thursday, at about 8:15/mile, i want to try to make this faster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.