Godammit

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ep, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ep

Ep Guest

I payed for 3 sessions with a personal trainer so I can learn the power clean properly but the form he's teaching me doesn't look exactly like the ones on exrx or on youtube etc.

He's having me row the weight up my body to the point where my elbows are coming way up like an upright row, which feels good because you aren't supposed to just curl the weight up but I don't see that happening in these examples

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUmi2oqlvA

This is why I don't like using personal trainers. When I saw him doing an example, his elbows were practically facing the floor which puts weight on the wrists and he was catching the bar in a full grip

2. Ep

Ep Guest

3. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

no you are right, without even watching the vids you posted. Majority of personal trainers have very little olympic lifting background, and even then, it is very very hard to teach correctly.

Should never feel like an upright now, the hands are hooks and the arms are ropes.

4. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

sounds like you should have saved the money for some cheap clean confidence boosting ass

5. Ep

Ep Guest

It was kind of an impulse thing:wtc:. I was talking to the counter person about how i wanted to get my form right but didn't trust personal trainers and he gave me the "all our trainers are bodybuilders balhalbhab" so I gave it a shot.

I meet the guy last night and the first thing he says is "power cleans right? yeah I'm shaky on those myself":ugh:

6. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

HAHAHAHA, wow. I would personally go and demand a refund.

7. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

why would you expect some dipshit personal trainer to know how to do a complex movement like an olympic lift

if theres no olympic coach in your area just watch a lot of videos/read shit until you get the basic form down

8. 4cd-Air

I would have stopped them at "all our trainers are bodybuilders" because bodybuilders are the last people who should be teaching olympic lifts. Also I would ask how many of those "bodybuilders" have been on stage

9. Ep

Ep Guest

I was stupid enough to listen to the counter guy who said they would know. Got the lessons because I figured it would be worth the 100 bucks. I should probably demand a refund

10. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

11. Ep

Ep Guest

My wrists are still hurting 3 days later from doing 40x light weight versions of his power clean trying to get the form. Fucking pissed!!!! So do the arms actually swing up in the motion? That's what I am seeing in the videos. You use the jump and swing of the arms to catch it

12. Ep

Ep Guest

Okay just got done practicing in front of a mirror. I probably could have done this myself. I wait till the bar gets high on the thigh and propel the weight up with the jump. Hardest part is catching the weight so far

13. 4cd-Air

not to discourage you, but teaching yourself in a mirror is almost as bad as having a dumbass PT teach it to you wrong. You should never be looking in a mirror, you need to learn what a correct clean feels like, not what it looks like. Over time you are going to teach your muscles the wrong movement patterns, and when you finally meet somebody who can teach it to you, you will have to unlearn all the stuff you leanred in the mirror.

14. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

go buy starting strength has a pretty good explantion on the power clean

15. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

16. miek

miek New Member

There's a link for it in the pdf thread too

17. Ep

Ep Guest

I've been watching those videos. But it'll be hard to train myself without looking to see if there are differences in my form. thanks for the help

18. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

19. Ep

Ep Guest

thanks for the video ceaze. So key points are

hips come in and jump starts when the bar hits an inch or two above the knees. Bar is propelled by jump and dynamic shrug. Bar falls into the pocket as feet hit the floor. No weight should fall on the wrist. Land in a half squat and squat up. Only things sore should be my legs, traps and upper back

20. Ep

Ep Guest

I'll do a video of doing hang cleans tonight to see what I'm doing wrong, hopefully you guys can critique. thanks again I appreciate the help:bowdown:

21. 4cd-Air

once you get your form down pretty well, you need to go back to your personal trainer and offer to teach it to him for $100

22. Ep

Ep Guest

I should haha. I talked to the guy at the counter who set me up with this trainer and told him the deal. He seems like a nice dude but he was REALLY starting to annoy me. I told him that the PT was giving me shotty advice and I was annoyed that I specifically asked to be trained in power cleans and I got a trainer that didn't know how to do them himself.

The guy then went on to tell me that I shouldn't expect to learn the form in 3 days. I then gave him the analogy that a professor shouldn't teach students a subject he doesn't know. Then he went on to tell me how he trained with kettlebells for 3 months bro to specifically learn a power clean and he still never got up to it. I then said once again that none of that mattered to me because I couldn't even get a teacher who knew the exercise. Rinse and repeat.

He said he would call me with a new trainer but honestly I'm gonna tell him to just give me like 2/3 of my money back. Lesson learned

I took form videos tonight of bench, deadlift and practicing really light cleans. My shit is a mess right now

23. 4cd-Air

Kettlebell Cleans are in no way comperable to a true Olympic Barbell Clean, although they do require similar form. Sorry to tell you that you won't be getting your money back, either. They may comp you a few extra sessions or some other free item, but I've never worked for a gym that would return a client's money. That's why we make them sign contracts.

24. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

1. You deserve your money back.

2. In the trainer's defense I'm sure he hears "I want to fit into my jeans" 500 times to every "I want to learn good power clean form."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.