A&P God my website traffic sucks

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HighTachPres, Jun 24, 2009.

1. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

Talking with some of my internets buddies, they get well over 1,000 hits a day or so on their website...

I had about a 2-3 year hiatus of not really working on my website, but what am i missing? flickr? SEO? some stupid youtube video to make me famous? Is there something key I need to do to really boost traffic??

(gloating) I think I have an interesting website, I just need to "get it out there". Sigh, ok i'm off my softbox, i mean soapbox :hsd:

[​IMG]

2. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

Like selling anything mate, you gotta promote it, promote it, promote it.

Once it gets going it will develop a steady flow, but if you want growth you have to put the time and work into it.

My website, took 5000 hits in the first year. I thought that was good at the time. The second year, after lots of promoting, it took 50,000 hits. This last year, it has taken over 100,000 hits.

It probably would have been more if I had been doing some more work on it, but I am fairly content for now.

Check it out and send my link to 10,000 of your friends OK?:naughty:

http://www.asignobservatory.com

Baz.

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

From what I have learned, it's not the amount of people who look at your personal site but rather who the people are who are looking. The people who constantly frequent mine are, from what I can tell, clients, friends, family, coworkers, Googlers of the SEO structure that I want, etc. Since it's my personal site/blog/portfolio I don't really care all that much if random people in nowhere, Georgia are reading it since for all intents and purposes they will not people the people who are hiring me. I am also not out to create a flash in the pan buzz about myself like some people want. I think overall you have a great site, some fantastic work and overall a pretty impressive portfolio. One thing you need to really focus on is your goal for your site. Once you have established clear goals then you need to structure everything to meet those goals by making sure every headline uses keywords that you want to associate with your name and same goes with all the body copy. Tag everything with very specific keywords that will direct Googlers your way and avoid the ones that everyone uses. One thing that does jump out at me about your site is the crazy high bounce rate. You need to cut your link usage a bit since you're bringing people in and then just sending them away. Yes, you need Flickr, and FaceBook and Twitter. Most people I know who are obsessed with traffic will spend all day on those three just commenting, adding new contacts, posting, etc. But remember: you need to use SEO not just for traffic but for the kinds of traffic you want. The www has certainly brought out the fact that people who are great at branding themselves and can spend 18 hours a day online will always be the most popular. Period. But in the end, the people with quality work will always last the longest. It's late, so I hope this makes sense?

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

my site/blog is pretty boring but I can still get traffic, but I have no clue why

[​IMG]

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What does your referral section of Google Analytics say is your top 3 referrals?

6. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

Wow for a late night post you sure threw out a lot of feedback. Thanks! I agree quality over quantity. For the sparse visits that I'm getting, I have gotten some productive attention. I'll start hustlin' my facebook, twitter, and flickr more.

One of my main questions is where do i place key words within my website code to make it more efficient for search engines? I'm already naming my images with my name on everything. For example: "clintdavis_people_24_high.jpg"

Right now all I have to do is literally type "clint davis" into the keyword/url box and it goes to my site... but who would do that? lol. Not sure how that happened but it's cool :cool:

Here's my traffic sources:
    [​IMG]

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

are you using meta tags?

I get a lot of my traffic from posting on various car sites. Those images end up other sites, so it's a trickle effect as my images bounce around.