god, have mercy on my soul (help me !!)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexican, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Sexican

Sexican New Member

so i installed AIMutation on my computer, and now i get 2398723198 popups every 5 seconds, im friggin serious. can someone help me get rid of these damn popups...i uninstalled AIMutation and reinstalled AIM, but still get all these popups...i seriously cant handle this :( anyone?

2. Sexican

Sexican New Member

it's gotten even worse now...im pretty sure its a virus from downloading aimanipulation, but im unsure. when i turn on my computer, it will load seriously like 30+ webpages, and then my comp will freeze. i disconnected my internet so i could look around in my C:. i found like 10 folders that were at least part of the problem, and was successful in deleting half of them. the others when i tried deleting them, it wouldnt let me delete a single file in each folder, saying "make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in current use" now i managed to cntrl alt delete and end task to all the files that were .exe but when they are .dll's, how am i supposed to delete them? how can i search through my C: and see exactly what i need to uninstall or delete? i cant even sue my computer right now, so any help would be absolutely appreciated.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Downlaod AVG at www.grisoft.com ... its free

Go to www.download.com and download:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta
    Ad-Aware SE
    Spybot

If these leave something behind you can go into control panel in Add/Remove Programs and manually uninstall whatever these cannot find.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

5. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Ok, so now I can't even boot ym computer fully, regardless of whether it's hooked up to the internet. I decided I don't care and would rather just format, but it won't even let me get that far. All I know to do is insert the WIN CD, and reboot the computer...and it won't load. Is theer another way to format?

6. Sexican

Sexican New Member

I've also right clicked the C: and went to format, but it won't let me do that either...It is telling me to close out of running applications before I formart, but I can't! ahh this is so frusterating.

7. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Insert your XP disk and reboot. Lickle bit easier to format that way ;)

8. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You may need to go into your BIOS settings (del or other hotkey when the computer first starts) and change the boot order. Change it so the CD-ROM drive comes before the hard drive. If you have the boot order set properly and your Windows disc is in the drive you should get a message to press a key to boot from the CD, which will start the setup process.

You can reinstall Windows without making any changes to the file system, if you have data on your C: drive that you haven't backed up and don't want to lose. It will just delete and rebuild the Windows folder.

9. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Wow, I love this forum. :) Can somebody pretend that I don't know that much about computer, I mean I can understand what you're talking about, but could you give me a step by step process and I swear I'll never bother you guys again!

If I understoof you correctly, there is a way to reformat and still keep the files from my harddrive? I have like 10,000 MP3s I'd hate to lose, along with some pictures that would be very hard to get back and some other odd programs I'd have a hard time finding. HOWEVER, My computer must be working by tomorrow for the Diablo II ladder reset! If I do have to lose my hard-drove, I'll do it...can someone give me a step by step? Until I get a reply though, I'll try and read closely and do the steps you guys listed above.

GL to me.

10. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Ok, I switched it so that the CDROM should boot first, however it doesn't seem like anything changed...

11. Sexican

Sexican New Member

bump for me :(

12. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Heh, well, I haven't done a reinstall without formatting my drive first in a *long* time. You should be able to do so, however: you've got to get rid of the Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings, RECYCLER (hidden), and System Volume Information (hidden) folders, as well as all the hidden system files in the root directory. Move the files you want to keep into a different directory, one that doesn't have anything to do with Windows. When reinstalling XP, you should be able to select the drive without formatting it.

Now, am I missing anything here? If I recall correctly I've done this once a few years ago, but now I have one HD that's partitioned into two so it's not a big deal. Anyway, can somebody confirm that the steps above are correct?