God Damn Dealer Prep

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Beason, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

Got to love the dealership trying to make a car nice for a sale and install some damn buffer trails all over it.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Did you expect anything less?

3. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Coulda been damaged.

At the dealer I work at, in the body shop. Only cars I know of that get a buffer put to em, is when their damaged, repainted, dirt and crap sanded outa the paint then buffed, so, mite be something to look into.

4. Beason

Intelligence for a stealership? Never. Just gets fustrating. Brother drove home 12 hours last night and I find buffer trails, swirls and the oh so common dealer tag. Even though it was 11:30 I got the badge off as quick as possible.

Its an O4 BMW with not damage history. Shouldnt be any need for them to touch the car.

5. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

carfax's dont mean shit. my mom bought two cars that were wrecked previously. 96 lincoln continental that she bought in late 97 (ford doesnt paint body body panels metallic silver before the paint them dark green :ugh: ) and a 2004 mercuray gr. marquis (if you pull down the carpet panels on both sides of the trunk, one side is flat black, and the other side is painted the same color as the exterior, and the "seam filler" the factory uses was BUTCHERED on the side with the black panel)

i carfaxed the lincoln after she sold it (for $2k after the 3rd tranny blew, and the power steering and AC died [all within 2 weeks of eachother]) and it came up absolutely clean. i carfazed the merc BEFORE she bought it, and it came up clean.

6. Beason

Well we have the complete service history from BMW and I doubt BMW would allow my brother to purchase an extended warranty on a damaged vehicle.

7. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Well, buffer+ damage isnt the only reason, they proboly where just trying to make it look nicer I guess.

But, their have been brand new cars with damage that come off the trucks, we fix em, and sometimes, noone ever knows. Thats with Brand new cars though.
    Hell, someone bought a brand new F-150 before, he special ordered it, when it arrived an employye went to put gas in it and rear ended another F-150. We rushed and got it fixed in 2 days, owner never was informed......

8. Scottwax

I find that shit a lot on customer's cars. "But I bought it new" they say. Ha! I know body/paint work when I see it. :mamoru:

9. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

There are quite a few instances at the dealer I work at where the vehicle is damaged in transit, and the carrier driver will take a rotary to the damaged area so they don't get charge the driver for the damage. The guy who checks in our cars doesn't notice the rotary holograms, along with more than half of the people that work there. :ugh:

10. Scottwax

It isn't just the holograms. I find overspray on glass, in door jambs, gas cap doors, trunk jambs, very different orange peel from panel to panel, some sections with noticably softer/harder paint, etc. Really a bitch when you buff out a car and one area is hazed because of a softer repaint.

11. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

I had a car come in from another dealer, and the car was on their showroom floor. I opened up the fuel door, and there was still tape around the cap from when they repainted it :mamoru:

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Stea...i mean "Dealerships: will do just about anything to get a car out and get it sold.

COnsidering the car is an 04, and BMW is just now getting it off the lot to him, i wouldent at all be suprised if it had some major body work done to it.

Basicly the way the dealership gets away without repoting it, is becuase the car is unlicenced, and has never been on the road, so they do all that repairing to it, without reporting it, and still claim its "new" becuase its unregistered.

Its shady, but they all do it. From BMW, Benz, on down to Hyundai and Kia.

13. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Yep, in my case, it's Ford. Work for a Ford dealer in the bodyshop.
    Hell, onetime a F-150 was in for basic service, and left5 with a dent in the rear fender. I know cause I was told to buff out the damn thing and make it look as nice as I could. Customer never saw it....... :mamoru:

14. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

same car, same problem for me. I picked up my 02 325Ci from the dealership, and it had rotary holograms all over it.

Im not entirely disappointed, it'll give me a good chance to improve my detailing ability.

15. Beason

Finally got some pics after a quick wash. Hopefully he'll be home for a few days so I can get to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Scottwax

I'd personally kick the owner of the dealership's wife in the cooter for those holograms. It isn't her fault but the owner not getting any because his wife's snooch is bruised may make him rethink what type of work he allows in his stealership.

17. Beason

:bowrofl: but on a serious note, do you think OC and an orange pad will be enough to take care of those? or should I use a Yellow pad? Either will be followed up with OP and a white polishing.

18. Beason

well I got to work on it some and needless to say it is more work then I was expecting.

[​IMG]

50/50 after a pass with OC and Yellow Pad
    [​IMG]
    Closer Left Before
    [​IMG]
    Closer Right After
    [​IMG]
    Didnt get some stuff out so I stepped up to DACP and an Orange Cutting Pad
    [​IMG]
    Better but not perfect.

Any suggestions? I tried DACP and a yellow pad and it didnt look that much different. I think I will be investing in a rotary soon.

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

It looks like you just need to make some slower passes.

Honestly, and im just keeping it straight with you...if your not patient enough to work out the OC properly with a PC, and step up to a rotory, all your going to be doing is recreating the same situation teh dealer left you with.

Stick with the OC, move up to a more agressive pad if possible, take slower passes, and likely you will get the results you want.

20. Beason

believe Ive been patient with it. Worked from 11-8 on the paint. OC w/ Orange, got of the buffer trails, OC w/ Yellow x2, didnt budge the swirls, DACP w/ Orange removed most but not all. Followed up with OP/OC and a polishing pad.