Go VW

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, Sep 24, 2008.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

...and Dex stay the fuck out of my thread.

Have an 03 TDI which started flaking paint on the front fender. Vehicle has 250,000 kms. Pissed at first but then kind of glad at the excuse to freshen the front end up I resigned to have a buddy paint the front.

I do a bit of reading and as it turns out the diesel MKIV cars had a foam pad placed between the inner and outer fender for whatever reason. The bottom of this pad rubs against the paint and over time causes it to break away. VW is aware of this and I went into a dealer today to see them about it and they ordered two new (one one fender is doing it) front fenders to be painted and ready for me next week to have installed on the car.

No cost.

Thats pizimp.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's the weirdest fucking thing ever, since the last fucked-up VW design flaw I heard about, anyway. I wonder what purpose it was intended to serve.

3. dr.zed

I knew you couldn't do it.

The body shop guy wondered if it was part of the mfg process. However the TSB talks about trimming 1cm from the bottom of it to keep it away from the new fender. There must be a reason. Something to calm the crazy harmonics of the diesel.

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

jetta with a 4th gen av :bowrofl:

5. dr.zed

Yeh... sold the car last year.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I didn't even try. I knew you thought you were testing me, and I wasn't interested in humoring you, so I responded exactly the same as I would've had you not baited your thread.

How do you know the bait didn't work? Fuck if I know; Schrodinger's cat and all.