Go to PCI-E or stay with AGP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Splak, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Splak

Splak New Member

I have a 9700 Pro that is damaged due to a major overheating when the fan died on the heatsink. I have a new heatsink and temps are fine, however it has never been stable since it overheated..

Anyway, I want to replace it.. however my delimma is: Buy a new AGP card or goto PCI-Express and upgrade my processor and motherboard as well.

I know PCI-E is the way things are heading but is it worth spending the extra money when everything works just fine for me except the instablity of my current video card?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Unless your board and CPU are old and you want to upgrade anyway, just get an AGP card.

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I would stick with AGP, since upgrading motherboard + video card is just more headache. But again, it depends. I, personally, don't play the highest graphic games, but if you are, then it must be taken into consideration.

4. Splak

Splak New Member

How much longer do you think AGP will be around?

I only play WoW right now and I can't play on the highest settings, but it's not really that important to me. It would be nice to be able to though.

If I stay with AGP what would be a good card to replace my 9700pro where I would see an improvment?

5. Fee

Fee Boba Fett Likes the Nips

This probbly the last year of Powerful cards using AGP

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Keep in mind that the PCI-E card you might buy is not going to be better than the AGP card, just the Mobo will be. I would wait until the next gen processors come out before I'd upgrade mobo.

7. Cash--

Cash-- New Member

how much money you got to spend

8. Splak

Splak New Member

I'd like to spend around $300-500..

9. 98R-1144

98R-1144 V8 4.2L AWD = All Weather Fun

The x850 XT 256MB AGP is on sale at Microcenter right now. I just picked mine up... ordered on-line and picked up in store... all in the same morning!

$250 - $50 MIR = $200 FTW!

10. Cash--

Cash-- New Member

11. ZeusH8sU

ZeusH8sU New Member

What are the rest of your specs?
    Cause depending on what you have will determine what to suggest for you to get and also what you might be able to reuse.

12. Splak

Splak New Member

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (64bit)
    512mb Corsair XMS PC3500
    x2 200gb IDE Maxtor HDD's
    Antec 500w PSU
    ATI 9700 Pro

13. ZeusH8sU

ZeusH8sU New Member

What you have is not to shabby,the cheapest way to go go would be to just add another stick of ram and a 6800gs(agp)So that way you dont have to replace everything alse or.............

Sell that cpu,mobo,and video card and upgrade towards a sli mobo and a amd3700(Good and cheap) or a dual core(abit pricey) then add anothe 512mb corsair ram and a 6800gs(good and Cheap) or add a 7800gt for now and then later down the road you can add another 7800gt.

If you decide to keep your existing system adding another stick of ram and that 6800 you would be able to run alot of games at pretty high resolutions and get good frame rate.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd get a Sapphire Technologies Radeon 9600XT Utimate Edition (overclocked 50% with a heatpipe heatsink and no fan) for $150. It'll run as well as a 9700, cost less, and come with a cool fanless heatpipe that you can transfer to your next video card. In fact, I wouldn't just "would get" one, I DID get one. I love it. Fanless is the way to go, it's one less thing to break.

15. ZeusH8sU

ZeusH8sU New Member

That 9600xt would not be a upgrade it would be a downgrade for around the same price you can find a 6600gt which would be better and for roughly 50 bucks more u can score a 6800gs.Also with any overclocked system heatpipes are cool but a fan based system can cool alot better and will yield better overclocked speed's.

16. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

It kinda seems like you just want your system up and running again.

I would look to buy a used 9800 pro or something. Maybe you can grab one for $75 or under.

If you want an improvement on current graphics, go for that x850xt. That's a really nice price on that card if you get that rebate.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The performance difference is purely your opinion. I guess you like nVidia; I like ATI. The card I mentioned performs excellently in my computer, running World of Warcraft with all the bells and whistles turned on with no lag. Of course I do have 2GB of RAM and no pagefile to help speed things up, but it's an excellent card nonetheless.

As for your Fans > Heatpipes theory, it's flat-out wrong. Yes, a tornado-strength fan can remove large amounts of heat from a heatsink, it's not nearly as efficient; the fan needs electricity to work, and that makes even more heat in the fan AND in the power supply, whereas the heatpipe works with no extra energy and generates no extra heat. And even with the best, most efficient fan on earth, there's still the problem of getting the heat from the CPU to the tips of the heatsink fins. Most heatsinks can't deal with the amount of heat that modern CPUs put out, and people compensate by putting faster and faster fans on, thinking that the lack of airflow is the problem. Funny thing is, it doesn't work all that well.

In contrast, a heatpipe uses convection to literally carry the heat away from the CPU and deposit it in a a cooler area of the case, such as the opposite side of the video card. Then the coolant cools off and returns to the CPU to carry more heat away. A fan may still be necessary to dissipate the heat once it's been removed from the CPU, but oftentimes it's enough just to move the heat to another location and let it radiate away.

No matter how huge your heatsink and fan are, they will always bump up against the limitation of the metal to conduct the heat from the base to the tips of the fins. Heatpipes don't have this limitation. That's the real reason they're cool; it has nothing to do with the name or the bling chrome tubes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  18. ZeusH8sU

ZeusH8sU New Member

I like both ATI and Nvidia cards but going from a 9700pro to a 9600xt is somewhat of a downgrade,considiring that for the same price you can get a newer generation video card and unfortunely for the sub 200 price range nvidia does take the prize(for now).

That is why I mentioned those two cards.And as far the the cooling goes Ive seen both setup's and tried them both out and to tell you the truth the really big difference that Iv'e seen is not having to hear the fans that is the only benefit from going with heat exchangers/pipes in my opinion.