GMail question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Jun 19, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I've been using GMail for a very long time (as I'm sure all of you do too, and if you don't... START). But ever since I've gotten my account, I receive my e-mails and leave them in my inbox. I've currently got 1519 e-mails in my inbox. I was just wondering, what's the difference between keeping all of my e-mail in my inbox as opposed to archiving them all instead? Is there no difference? Does it just make the inbox clear, so you don't have to look at those old e-mails? What are the advantages to archiving vs. not archiving?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Most people archive instead of deleting.

Personally I take a 3-tier approach. I archive instead of deleting, but I also create categories and flag my messages so it's easier to sort and organize.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I do the same. The in Gmail, the Inbox is sort of like any other tag. If you to go All Mail... well, its all your mail.... including stuff thats currently in the Inbox.

If you Archive, the messages are still available for search/sort, but not cluttering up your Inbox.

I suggest starting to use the Archive function.. it makes things alot easier than having it all in your Inbox.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I do that also. I'll use filters to move certain e-mails to groups, or some to be deleted. So there's really no difference in archiving vs. keeping it in the inbox it seems

5. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Gmail doesn't want you to delete the emails... so it makes it hard to do so. No matter where you put it, google will use the email to help store information about you for its adsense and help in the search functions you use. It's a conspiracy!

But seriously, it doesn't matter. I just make an archive folder and push everything to it when I'm done reading it. If I need to find something, I'll just run a quick search through the thousands of files there.

On gmail or my school email, everything stays in the inbox... for one of two reasons:

A) I'm lazy and don't feel like deleting/moving it to a new folder

B) I don't know how to create a subfolder to store it in.

:) Ignorance is bliss

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i have pop3 set up and gmail set to archive the msgs that i download.

its perfect, keeps my inbox clear & all messages has emails from day 1.

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Um... ignorance is bliss... cuz there's a handy dandy delete button right next to the Archive button. But... i guess you dont use the archive function, so you might not have seen it... :o

Granted, it moves it to a Trash folder/tag that is still available for recovery, but you can clear the trash and its gone... i dont think Google would go thru all the trouble to force you to keep your old messages if you dont want them.