Gm Stage 2 kit now available for Cobalt SS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by itslackers, Apr 10, 2006.

1. itslackers

itslackers New Member

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/
    http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...amp;docid=24896
    GM Performance Parts is adding some extra juice to 2.0L Ecotec-powered Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and Saturn ION Redline by introducing two supercharger kits that generate significant power gain at the wheels. The Stage One and Stage Two performance upgrade kits provide an additional 31 and 36 horsepower respectively. “These stage kits are aimed squarely at the hard core enthusiast looking to boost the power of the already charged-up 205-horsepower 2.0L Ecotec engine of the Chevy Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and Saturn ION Redline,” said Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories. “They deliver increased horsepower and torque throughout the operating range of the engine.”

The Stage One Kit with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $500.00, includes higher-flow fuel injectors and an ECU calibration to provide a 31 hp boost to the Cobalt Coupe SS Supercharged and ION Redline Ecotec engine for a total of 236 hp and 205 lb.-ft. of torque.

The Stage Two Kit (P/N 17803229), with an MSRP of $750.00, yields more power through the middle section of the power curve versus the Stage One Kit. The Stage Two Kit includes the parts available in the Stage One Kit and adds a smaller supercharger pulley and drive belt, pushing the engine alive with 241 hp and 218 lb.-ft. of torque across a broad engine speed range.

GM is getting serious about stealing the tuner crowd from the imports.

:bowdown:
    [/FONT]

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

SS badge on a 4 banger makes baby jesus cry

3. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Wrong. DODGE has been serious about this for over three years now. 240 goddamn hp isn't going to crush any SRT-4's with upgrades.

4. itslackers

itslackers New Member

The new caliber looks like shit, Dodge turned the SRT to shit. While GM is coming out with much better vehicles like the sky redline and cobalt ss.

5. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Agreed. But that Dodge is going to come with 300hp, stock. Why won't Chevy do that?

:down:

6. itslackers

itslackers New Member

Decent fuel economy for one, look at Dodge's vehicle lineup all their cars are gas guzzlers including the SRT. All these cars are up against vehicles like civic si, acura rsx-s, etc. People in that price range dont want to fill up on gas once a week. The cobalt ss pulled the same fuel economy as an acura rsx-s in their last direct comparison in road and track a couple of months ago.

7. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

FUEL ECONOMY?! THAT'S the argument?! This forum is AMERICAN MUSCLE, not American Fuel Economy.

Why am I posting in a wrong-wheel-drive thread anyway? Fake SS ftl.

[​IMG]

8. itslackers

itslackers New Member

SRT is ugly, does not handle well and was deservedly discontinued, maybe if American manufacturers paid more attention to what consumers wanted they could actually afford to build muscle cars for the niche segment. /Thread

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

So $750 gets you a 36hp bump? That's not a bad price. It's not bottle-of-nitrous cheap, but coming from a factory that's cheaper than I'd expect.

10. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

doesn't matter what magic voodoo they put in the car. it's going to take years to wash that bad image everyone have on domestic being shitty & inferior. i see more new 06 civics on the road than neon srt-4, cobalt ss, & saturn redline combined. and thye all own the civic in power department.

11. itslackers

itslackers New Member

True, it will take a while - but they definitely seem to be heading in the right direction.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Everything you said is wrong. The stock SRT handles rather well actually. In Auto-X in their stock class they're actually very good. With a LSD in the 04/05 models and turbo-lag being almost non-existant while having a decent stock suspension, they're always a contender. Start upgrading suspension bits and you're nipping at the heels of the Miata. Throw some performance parts on and you're running down F-bodies (yeah, I said it). If you're really into the handeling thing you could have gotten the ACR package on the '05 model and got lighter wider wheels with better tires and 5-way adjustable struts on all 4 corners and stiffer sway bars in front and rear.

Dodge kicked/is kicking some serious ass with the Neon SRT-4. They sold WAY more than they expected to. For straightline performance you really can't beat the easy of upgrades and power on the SRT. On the stock turbo you can fairly easily get 300whp and 350wtq. On an aftermarket turbo you can push upwards of 435/450 on the stock block and after you upgrade internals theres people pushing 600whp. For 1/4 mile times theres 3 confirmed in the 10's on SRT Forums. Theres honestly probably 50 - 75 on those forums in the 11's and theres hundreds in the 12's.

Hate all you want on the SRT-4. "It's just a Neon" with insane potential.

13. itslackers

itslackers New Member

Any car can be upgraded, everybody knows the potential of the ecotec for power, go here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=48&i=9399&t=9399 to see an example of 2.2l ecotecs running 11's.

If the SRT is so superior, explain the results of Motor Trend's head to head comparison, they chose the cobalt ss over the SRT-4 as well. The stock cobalt ss beat the srt-4 aroung their 1.6 mile track - while having significantly less horsepower and achieved similar quarter mile results. It also beat it in the slalom and braking. View the comparison here: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0505_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/specs_price.html

14. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

:bowrofl:

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

If you want to competely buy into 1 magazines review of any car, help yourself. All the magazines have flawed reviews of performance cars in my opinion because they weigh things like comfort and gas mileage and towing and crap that doesn't matter at that point. They're consistant about it, so it keeps things level I suppose, but if you're going to review a group of performance vehicles, nothing else should matter.

The potential of the ecotec is impressive for its size, but it still doesn't compare to the SRT motor. That GM S2 kit is only making 241/218. S2 w/o toys on the SRT (which is roughly the same price) makes an easy 260hp and 300tq. You can get to 300/350 for about $2,000 and the only thing holding you back at that point is the turbo itself. Replace that with an aftermarket kit and you're running 11's on street tires. Buy some slicks and you're into the 10's. Go with a built motor and you're making 500+ whp at the wheels.

16. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

:rofl: do you even know anything about the Ecotec? There are stock block Ecotecs pushing 800 and even 1000 hp. You can rip that SC off the Cobolt, and simply bolt a turbo kit in and you have plenty more potential than you ever would on with that Eaton unit. Lets also not forget that the Ecotec is switching over to GDI, and is a much more advanced engine. The better car all around is the Cobalt.

17. thedguy

thedguy New Member

GM recommend you replace the stock pistons on the SS/SC cobalt if you want 300 or more, but thats it. Factory motor has eutectic pistons.

BTW, GM gives on one of their websites, and sells in print, a book on how to build an ecotec to the exact specs of their drag cars. Part numbers, Machining requirements and all. Dodge do the same?

The only reason why Dodge was smarter with the NEON srt4 was because they used a slightly larger engine, and already came turbo'd, not sure if they have factory forged pistons, but I'm sure the bottom end is other wise very stout.

18. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

As far as gas mileage goes, I get 24mpg city in my SRT4 regularly, and have gotten 28mpg on a trip that was 98mi each way to the dragstrip, with a shitload of passes in between, and a couple of full throttle 120+mph runs on the highway.

But I have no idea what the cobalt gets.

19. Diesel4mee

Diesel4mee U.P. > L.P. OT Supporter

$750 for 36hp = $20.83/hp that is fucking amazing. whilst i don't like four bangers or paticularily like any cars at all in the shitty sport compact class at all, mostly because they are all bullshit front wheel drive. The numbers speak for themselves 20.83/hp is a great deal at any level.

20. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Well if thats the case, I spent like 2 bucks on a carb spring and a turnbuckle and got ~20whp from my SRT4. No I didnt dyno it, but many others have and yes they really put down an extra 20whp and 40-50wtq (only reason for the huge increase is a boost spike though).

And longtube headers get those type of gains on LT1 F bodys for a ~$500 investment.

21. Diesel4mee

Diesel4mee U.P. > L.P. OT Supporter

While that is a good point i doubt that those modifications comply with the warranty on your vehicle. And if you really want to save some money you can just take your cat off.

22. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Neither will those stages for GM (just like Stage 1 and Stage 2 for dodge), it all depends on the dealer. You get a shit dealer, your warranty will be voided for putting an aftermarket air freshener in, you get a good dealer, and you'll be good even with abig turbo kit provided that did not cause the problem.

Either way, the spring takes about 10 seconds to remove, so its not really an issue should anything warrantable arise.

23. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

And with a pulled hose from the VSV I gained 40rwhp on my old Supra, and that was FREE!!!!!!!

:gives: Its FWD.

24. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

yeah FWD sucks dick :(

25. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I wish it was based on the Kappa chassis (RWD), styled with a little more flair, and called the Nova. Maybe even squeeze the LS4 in there. Now THAT would be a compact tuner car.