GM Passlock

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Jul 2, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Got a 1998 GMC Jimmy 4-door V6 4x4 that has recently started showing the "Security" light as always-on. Researching online has lead me to believe that no one really knows exactly why this occurs. I have heard responses ranging from disconnecting the battery, resetting the ecu, exotic key turn combinations, waiting, replacing cylindars, all the way up to "it's magic".

Does anyone actually know how to fix this?

Alternatively, is there an effective way to disable passlock (without large expense) so that the car simply doesn't care if it's working?

This is my weekend offroad rig and I don't want to be left without a running vehicle in the backwoods of Oregon.

I figured you pro car audio installers see a lot of car alarm and remote start installs, so I figured you'd know about as much as anyone could about Passlock.

2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

if you want to bypass it, theres a wire in your steering column, that you can cut, and wire in a specific resistor. You would need to cut this wire ( dont remember the color but i want to say orange/black), try to start the car, and meter the key side to see what resistance its reading, then apply the appropriate resistor and connect the wire.