GM gives their trucks a facelift, among other things.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Feb 14, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

GM has seen fit to give its best-selling vehicles, the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickups, a variety of interior and exterior enhancements for the 2003 model year. On the Silverado, the truck's nose has been reshaped with a new grille, headlights, turn signals and hood. These changes are intended to make the Silverado look more aerodynamic and aggressive, as well as have it more closely resemble its truck cousins, the TrailBlazer and Avalanche. The GMC Sierra gains a new grille, a new front bumper and round foglights. Both trucks have power-folding exterior mirrors with integrated turn signals. The camper mirrors are now power extendable, as well.

[​IMG]

On the inside, the front seats feature more sculpted contouring and redesigned headrests for improved comfort. On trucks with power seats, the side panels of the front seats have been re-shaped to provide easier access to the seat button controls. Additionally, trucks equipped with the so designated "Full Feature" seats now provide independently heated seat backs and cushions. For safety, 1500-series trucks have an automatic passenger-sensing system that deactivates the passenger-side airbag, based on the weight and position of the passenger seat occupant, to help protect children and small adults from airbag-induced injury.

Once settled, drivers will notice steering wheel-mounted audio and trip computer controls, a new center console and a new gauge cluster. The console includes a storage compartment and power outlet at the rear. On crew cabs and extended cabs, the rear of the console also provides second-row passengers with separate airflow vents. 2003 crew cabs offer an optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system. GMC Sierras also have an exclusive new dual-zone climate control system and specially designed Bose audio system.

[​IMG]

Powertrains are the same as in the 2002 trucks, but GM has expanded the availability of the Quadrasteer four-wheel-steering system. The system, first introduced exclusively on the GMC Sierra Denali, will be offered this calendar year as a regular production option on properly equipped 2002 GMC Sierra Wideside and Chevrolet Silverado Fleetside 2WD and 4WD extended cab short-box pickups. Quadrasteer also will be available on 2003 Silverado and Sierra 1500HD 2WD and 4WD short-box pickups, and three-quarter-ton full-size Chevy Suburban and Yukon XL, making them the industry's first full-size crew cabs and full-size utilities to offer this control and handling technology.

The Silverado was last redesigned for the 1999 model year. These 2003 updates are significant improvements to an already capable truck. If you are a truck buyer, the next few years will offer some interesting choices: Dodge has its new Ram; Toyota has updated its 2003 Tundra; and Nissan plans to start selling a full-size truck in 2004. A redesigned Ford F-150 shouldn't too far off, either. How's a truck lover supposed to choose? — Brent Romans

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

wow i like

that steering wheel looks :yum:

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

That is more like it was supposed to look when they first redesigned it. Now if only they would lift it a bit higher I might consider going back to the bowtie.

4. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

I really hate that front end, but i hated the redesign in 99 also.

That's a cool steering wheel though. Nice to see one that isn't 80% airbag.

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

As per usual, the GMC incarnation seems to be a bit more appealing, however I'm not much of a fan. I want to know what happened to the days when you could buy a 4wd full size pickup w/o leather interior and all this crap and just work in it. It seems the only vehicle you can get something like that in is an F-350.

6. TriShield

You can still purchase barebones trucks, but usually on order at most dealers since most people don't buy them anymore.

Although, larger volume truck dealers stock a good amount of stripped Silverados and Sierras with manuals V6s/V8s or automatics. I know because we looked into buying one awhile back.

I also do not like the new front clip of the Silverado, the old clip was much more appealing and very handsome.

7. Johnny*MacBlayze

Johnny*MacBlayze wassup? shut up!

damn they really need to restyle that dash layout. u look at those 70s 80s chevy trucks and its the exact same shape. FUGLY

8. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Yea but you drive a Ford so your opinion doesn't matter! Just kidding. :fawk:

I actually had a Ranger which was a really good truck, never had a single problem with it at all.

9. Drifter

Drifter wat

I hate the front end on the chevy.

I also don't like GM's idea of using the 2001-2002 Cavalier's Stereo System in the trucks. (look at the headunit).

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

similar fascia, but thats it.. internal components are different.

I love the steering wheel, its right out of the most technologically advanced vehicle the General makes, the Trailblazer. There is a 1x6 inch LCD panel just below the speedo that gives an incredible number of readouts. trip times, fuel used, fuel remaining, mileage estimates, display language, back up mirror assists, driver exit assist, keyless entry and security system programming, lock in park/key out/key in settings and much more.

the bottom right bar of the wheel is fuel/trip estimate menu controls, the top right is main menu tree options, the top left is stereo volume and the bottom left is HVAC controls. Since this will only come with LT, or SLT in the Generic Made Chevys, there will be a driver memory option and heated leather seats. Don't forget OnStar, one year of which is included free in a new vehicle purchase. The benefits of OnStar you might not know are: Remote Diagnostics, Remote Lockout, and Theft Recovery. The remote diag lets the OnStar network download your vehicles error code, and will inform you as to the nature of the problem. They can also keep track of oil change intervals and many other things...

11. TriShield

The stereo headunit and that climate system were originally Oldsmobile pieces... :sad2:

Also the most advanced vehicles the General makes are the Cadillacs and the Corvette. The trucks are also have some pretty insane engineering detail. The only thing advanced about the Trailblazer is the new engine, very BMW like in design and technology.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

Took you long enough :p

I don't consider Caddy's as true General products :nono:

13. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

lol what is the big deal with the steering wheel? its just a steering wheel :p

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

go test drive an LTZ, spanky. :squint:

15. TriShield

:confused: Explain.

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

Not part of the General's blue collar crowd... just the way I see it. I know they're a technical subsidiary of GM.

17. TriShield

Denalis won't recieve major changes.

Not sure if the Denali SUVs will get four wheel steering or not.

They look cool with aftermarket xenon headlamp kits.

18. katabrat

katabrat Guest

I thought the 99 GMC & Chevy looked good,I think the 03 does not look right,sorta of fulgy,in about 6mo. it will prob.look good,I thought the same about the Fords & Dodges.