GM 15 Passenger Van- opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mjolnir, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Alright, here's the thing-

I have the opportunity to get a smoking deal on a 2005 Chevy Express 15 passenger. ~80,000 miles, 6.0, Stabilitrak (RWD, not AWD though), generally good shape, less than $3000 dollars. Best I can tell, it bluebooks around $10K.

I have 5 kids, plus pets and friends, and our '99 Suburban is getting elderly so I thought this might be a good time to pick up a new road trip/car pool vehicle.

Has anybody here owned or operated one? I'm looking for an honest opinion on operating costs and general ownership experience.

Thanks guys.

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

both my old dodge, and my brother's current ford van got/get better mpg when towing ssomething for some strange reason.

3. Mr.Right

Mr.Right N2O

i dont know much about vans, but for less than $3000 for a 2005 sounds like a good deal, unless its all torn up or something.

4. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

if you dont get it please give me contact info :big grin:

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

My folks bought a 1990 GM fullsize conversion van new and used it to haul us around growing up. My father had it until 2006 and about 200,000 miles. It was a good vehicle overall. Occasional nickel and dime stuff but nothing major ever went wrong with it.

6. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

well, i drive a 02 express van for work and its a damn reliable vehicle. only thing replaced has been the battery and the starter, van now has 90,000 + miles. i drive it hard too.

it has the 4.3 v6.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Probably the thing they were towing smoothed out the airflow coming off the back of the van -- in essence, the van and the payload were drafting.

8. twistid

not what we haul. :rofl:

9. deusexaethera

The payload doesn't have to be aerodynamic by itself, it just has to more/less fill the space that the low-pressure bubble would otherwise occupy. Unless the payload is bigger than the van itself, or consists of a deployed parachute, it would be hard for it to make gas mileage worse -- presuming you're driving at a constant speed on the highway, of course.

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

picard.jpg

11. twistid

for my brother's van... a trailor load of assorted sizes and shapes of these, are not only super heavy... it's not quite areodynamic, with all the holes and cavities.

[​IMG]

when i had my van, my roomates at the time had a band... we used to haul all their gear in a trailor, that was like pulling a wall.

12. deusexaethera

It's not a covered trailer?

13. twistid

the flatbed trailor is more versatile than a covered... one time we tried a tarp, but it acted as a parachute.:o

14. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Sure, but if I don't get it there's probably a good reason why. I'm looking at it Monday and if we pass on it I'll PM you.

15. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

sounds like a hell of a deal to me. is the title clean? My father in law has the 6.0 in his yukon xl denali and so far he has gone 156,000 miles without one problem!

16. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

We passed on it. It doesn't have about 80k, it's got about 185,000 on it. Judging by the options and general wear it was either an "airport van" or belonged to a construction type of company that used it to shuttle guys around. The rear seat is MIA (cargo space??), and it has some wear on the floors and seats consistent with people who don't own the vehicle getting in and out.

I didn't get it on a lift, but I crawled underneath it and it might have had a tranny put in. It drives okay, but it'll need some suspension work relatively soon.

It's fairly clean, with a clean title, but even at $2500-$2800 I'm not willing to buy a vehicle with near 200,000 miles.

If anyone has any interest in a high mileage 15 (actually 11) passenger van PM me and I'll give you the location and business name.