Glycogen manipulation

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Genghis.Tron, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Glycogen is obtained from carbohydrate and glycogen stores are energy stores in both the muscle and liver. Liver can store about 50 g of glycogen and muscles about 400-450 g. These figures are for a "normal" 180 lbs guy, so results will vary according to the amount of muscle mass. When these stores are full, the excess carb is converted to fat (de novo lipogenesis).

HIIT can be quite glycogen depleting. A lifting session usually end ups lowering the glycogen stores by 25% and a single 30 sec sprint can lower the levels by 30%!! (linky : http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/87/4/1326)
    So if the partionning effects are caused by an exercice induced change (both a higher glucose uptake and then a higher insulin sensitivity) it should be fine. (reading : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...rch=1 6036907 )
    Depletion of glycogen stores to a certain extent will prevent de novo lipogenesis.

HIIT is also pretty glycogen depleting, 10 bouts of 1 min decreased muscle glycogen by almost 60% and most of this depletion occurs during the first couple of bouts :

When at low levels, glycogen stores in muscle can store more glycogen than it usually could (it's called carbohydrate loading or glycogen supercompensation) but this effect can't be repeated two days in a row. That would mean that depleting glycogen stores during 2-3 days, followed by a high carb day (2g per pound of carb and 1g/lb of protein, fat kept at about 30-50 g).

So by controlling carb intake and exercise being done during this day, most people could get a nice intake of carb while preventing some fat gain.

2. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Should add this to the nutritional info sticky

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I wasn't sure if this was nutrition or training related so I chose to make a separate post.

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I'd put it into the nutritional sticky. It would probably help a lot of people who want to look good for a certain occasion or lose fat

5. twelch

twelch New Member

Glycogen Storage Disease Type 9 FTL

6. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

so basically you're just saying it's okay to refeed every once in awhile if you are low-carbing it?

you should do up a carb cycling diet 101 thing and add this in.. good info

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

wow.. carb up a few hours after HIIT, dudes.

I'm surprised how much depletion there is after such short amounts of exercise, when done at extremely high intensity.. :eek5:

8. MP18

MP18 New Member

word, HIIT is a bitch though

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Read the nutrition EDU :eek4:

It's not "okay" to have a higher carb day if you're on a low-carb diet and exercising, it's almost a necessity unless all you do is low-intensity cardio. Lifting, HIIT, sprints, it all fuels on glycogen.

10. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

your first sentence is some kind of mutated, run-on

sorry, just thought i would point that out

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah well, I have a habit of using punctuation as I would in French so I know that I have a tendency to put commas where they shouldn't be. :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.