GUN Glock vs. HK vs. Sig

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SoundSpeed, Sep 4, 2002.

1. SoundSpeed

SoundSpeed Guest

Which do you think is the better value and quality for the price?

Glock
    Pro: lightweight, dependable, really good price, available in 45
    Con: no external safety, light trigger pull but still somewhat double action

HK
    Pro: lightwight, very high quality, can be outfitted to your specs(safety, decocking choices, etc...) available in 45
    Con: really fucking expensive compared to Glock

Sig
    Pro: very nice feel, don't know too much else
    Con: heavier than Glock or HK because of its steel frame, so far as I know only available in 40 though I am not sure.

Which do you guys think is the better firearm?

2. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

glocks for reliability, the sigs look :cool: though

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For price, Glock is basically impossible to beat.

SIGs are available in .357, 9mm, .40, .45 and a few other misc calibers.

i would not say any of those would be a better choice if you're willing to spend the money. i own examples of each, and can vouch that they're all top quality weapons.

4. WyldOrchid

WyldOrchid Guest

All those brands have earned a solid reputation. But I prefer the overall fit and finish of my USP .45 :bigthumb:

5. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I have owned a H&K USP .40 S&W compact, a Sig 229 .357 Sig, and a Glock 22 .40 S&W. The Glock is the best deal. H&K's customer is the worst of any gun maker or just company in general. The Sig is very sweet, but heavy to carry unless on a duty belt. The Glock has the hight capacity magazine 15, the other two are 12 rounds in .40 cal. The Glock won't break. The frame on the Sig is aluminum and if droopped hard can dent. You can dent near the slide and may mess up functioning. The H&K is just a little bulky on the slide. H&K you cannot add aftermarket parts to the gun, such as .357 Sig barrel to a .40 cal, they will not warrenty the gun. Changing recoil rods and springs, I talked to them and they will not fix if a malfunction occures. Glock and Sig say if it breaks we will fix. So Glock is my pic for a handgun.

6. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Easy one for me too. HK all the way. I shot all of those and more before I bought my USP. The USP won hands down. Try them for yourself.

7. Kyoushu

Kyoushu きょうしゅ

Pictures of all three please.

8. kellyclan

9. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Glock: bulletproof, but has a tendencey to jam (usually just failure to eject tho which is easily cleared by racking the slide). Least accurate of the three. Ugly, but beautiful in its simplicity. And a baby glock owns for concealed carry. Trigger sucks,

Sig. Excellent quality weapons. I chose a P226 for my duty weapon, shot it yesterday for the 1st time but and NOT happy with it (because of dept. regs, not anty fault of sig sauer)... more on that later

HK: Kisk ass cuz they are available in the most configurations. On a USP, you can get one that can be used DA/SA, or SA cocked and locked (ala 1911). Bout the same quality as the Sig.

As I said, I chose a Sig P226 for my duty pistol and I am not happy with it, I regret not choosing the Glock 19 and when I finish with the academy I will probably buy one and carry that instead. The 226 is an awesome weapon, however, NYPD regulations require that all guns be double action only (except the glock which has that "safe action" as its called). I was not aware of this when I chose it. I've shot both a normal 226 and my NYPD issued one. The normal DA/SA one is awesome. My issued, DAO one sucks because its DAO, and the weapon was never designed to be DAO. I shot reasonably well with it yesterday (far better than most of the other recruits around me, but not up to my standards) but I just don't like DAO (as you can probably tell).

Of the 3 weapons you can choose, teh G19, sig p226 and S&W 5974 (?), only the glock is not DAO. For off duty weapons, of the 5 you can choose, again, only the baby glock (G26) is not DAO so that will be my choice.

10. kellyclan

Hey, hey, let's leave NY's problems in NY. :fawk:

11. SoundSpeed

SoundSpeed Guest

I am interested in a .45 It would be a duty weapon (security not police work) as well as concealed carry. I currently have a beretta 96FS. It is heavy and I do not feel it is entirely accurate, though it feels good in my hand.

I have fired a sig and I like it a lot. It has a good feel and smooth recoil that I was able to recover from quickly. It was a .40 cal. I also like it because it was simple in that it had no external safety to deal with, only a decocking lever.

I am leaning toward the glock because of its simplicity and light weight. With a glock you pull it, you fire it, you put it away. No decocking levers or safeties to deal with. I have held one before (full size .45) and it felt good, though I did not fire it. I truly want an HK for its quality and configuration freedom but price is a deterrent. Sig is nice but heavy like my beretta.

Thanks a lot guys.

12. kellyclan

You might look at the Glock 30 then, if you like them. It's grip is the same width as the full size you held, but shorter by about an inch. The barrel is 3.78" as opposed to the full size 4.6". It basically fills your hand, but conceals 10x better than the full size Glock 21. Comes with 10rd mags, but you can use full size G21 13rd as well.

The USP45 Compact is similar in size to the G30, though with a narrower grip due to a single stack 8rd mag. $650-700 seems to be the starting rate for these, so yeah, the Glock will likely be at least $150 cheaper.

i have abused all of these brands extensively, in ways that would make you cringe if it was your gun. Glock, HK, and SIG are the names to beat for reliability.

13. Jefferson Darcy

Nah, I'm not even talking about NYPD glocks. I'm talkin about ones I've fired outside of NYPD.

But then again those were from rental ranges and god knows how often those are cleaned.

14. SoundSpeed

SoundSpeed Guest

Do you feel that the shorter 3.78 barrel will have a significant affect on accuracy as compared to the longer full size barrel?

Which gun out of the 3 do you feel is the most accurate?

My sticking point is of course price, but I am also very interested in accuracy.

15. kellyclan

Not particularly. In theory, yes, a shorter barrel would have some effect, but i haven't seen it to be significant at all. In my hands, they shoot the same size groups.

Some are even of the opinion that due to the dual recoil spring keeping the chamber locked up just nanoseconds longer before cycling the slide actually makes the G30 inherently *more* accurate. It's possible, but like i said, in any matter, i've found them to be at least equal.

Having never used the SIG P245, i can only go on experience with other SIG models and say i've found SIG to be marginally more accurate than HK or Glock and those two to be on par with each other.

Like i said, we're discussing all very good quality tools here, finding what ammo you shoot best and how comfortable/capable you are will make much more of a difference than the manufacturer.

16. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I don't think any are bad choices and I currenly own all three guns. For use in a life and death situation, I would carry the SIG.

In your DAO situation, buy the Glock. I would also shoot only it for practise. I have a tough time staying accurate bouncing back and forth between my SA/DA guns and my Glock.

17. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

what does 'double action only' do??

18. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

what does 'double action only' do??

19. Jefferson Darcy

This takes a bit of explaining.

On a pistol or revolver with a hammer Double action meas the hammer is down. When you pull the trigger, it first makes the hammer go back, then snap foward, firing the round. Pulling the trigger does 2 actions, hence the term double action. It is a long trigger pull. Single action is when the hammer is already cocked back, pulling the trigger simply releases it. It is a short trigger pull.

Two different configurations of Semi-auto pistols are SA/DA (single action/double action) and DAO. On a SA/DA pistol, when you first rack the slide manually, the hammer will be cocked back. Using the decocking lever, you decock the hammer (put it in the down postition) so the pistol can be carried safely. The first shot will be a double action (long) pull. All subsequent shots (unless you use the decocking lever of course) are single action because when the slide goes back it cocks the hammer. On a DAO pistol, the hammer cannot be cocked back, so every shot is fired double action.

Another configuration is Single action only. On these pistols (1911's and copies) the pistol cannot be fired double action at all. When you rack the slide, the hammer cocks back, but you don't decock it to carry it, you carry it cocked and locked (cocked with a manual safety engaged).

I prefer SA only and DA/SA pistols, but my department only issues DAO for safety reasons (not because DAO is intrinsically any safer, but because it is simpler and safer for people with little firearm expereince).

20. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

I don't get the paranoia of double vs single action.

In a weapon with a hammer you pull the trigger and it's gonna go off. Just like a single action or "safe action" pistol.

What's it matter where the hammer is?

I never understood how a 1911 is more dangerous than another gun with a decocker. They're both going to bang when the trigger is pulled.

21. kellyclan

SA pistols have trigger pulls typically 100-400% lighter than your normal DA trigger, so they're more prone to accidental discharge from unintentionally squeezing the trigger. They're only "more dangerous" in the hands of those of lesser experience.

i think the "more dangerous" stigma came from many police depts, whose primary concern is liability, avoiding SA after seeing many AD's with new recruits. These days, easily 80% or more of recruits have never touched a gun before in their life and they only have a few monthes to get up to speed.

22. Jefferson Darcy

Exactly. I think its also teh length of the trigger pull. THe DA pull gives a much bigger margin of error. Of course, if you know what you are doing, keep your finger off the trigger until its supposed to be there and use proper trigger control, it's not a problem.

And we don't have months to get up to speed, we have a total of 12 days firearms training (unless you dont qualify, then you get extra help). Obviously, since it is NYC, the majority have not fired a pistol before. Tho I was surprise when I was at the range last week, when the instructors asked how many people shot before, there was a good amount of hands up.

23. kellyclan

i didn't wanna scare anyone. :o In CT, you actually get a full two weeks. You'll usually get "Who's shot a gun before?.....Okay, put your hands down, cos now you're gonna learn how to do it properly." :big grin:

24. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

Makes sense. That's what I imagined but I've always kept my finger on the slide until I'm on target.
    My stepdad was an ex marine so he was huge on the "Keep your finger outside the trigger guard" speech. Gettin yelled at by him the first time I went shooting scarred me straight.

My first gun was a Glock 23. So with no selectable safety I had to know the right way, or I would have shot myself.
    I guess it's best to learn the right way first before having to reteach it to myself.

25. gLok

gLok Offshore Member OT Supporter

I believe you are wrong. Ive owned my Glock 23 since the mid 90's. I havent experienced ONE jam and its damn accurate. Matter of fact we had a rental Glock 17 at the range and i dont remember anyone reporting a jam while they fired it unless they limp wristed it. I can hold as tight of a grouping with either of these three guns. You can't put all Glocks in on big group either, shorter barrel = slightly less accurate but hardly noticable to the average person. My trigger is worked to be a little lighter which is dangerous for carrying but i wouldnt change it.