GUN Glock Sackriders

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by oakie, Feb 21, 2005.

1. oakie

oakie my ninja.

:naughty:

just acquired a Glock 23... haven't had one since my G22 in the mid-90's. since then, many companies have spurred up with products for the Glock besides Aro-Tek.

So i need some help and/or suggestions from those who own the following parts:

i'm gonna replace the guide rod and spring for an uncaptured setup so i can run both 40S&W and 357Sig. need a weighted rod, probably tungsten, and a good brand for recoil springs.

mag well. looking for something at least manufactured in black, preferably weighted also. keep in mind, this is for a G23.

reliable source for an original Glock smooth trigger with trigger bar, 3.5lb Glock sear, competition return spring, and reduced pull firing pin spring. a weighted tungsten firing pin would probably be in order to maintain pin release energy... any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Novak style iron sights, 3 dot preferred. no adjustables, no exceptions.

competition Glock 23 +2 drop free mags that are compatible with the above mag well design.

any other parts and suggestions are welcome. i'm looking to put this one into competition-ready mode for use as a secondary for defensive practical shooting/IPSC until i get my Sig Sauer GSR 45. or i may consider a G22 and go for mag interchangeability during competition... but i doubt this gun can be tuned to my liking i.e. converted to single action.

thanks guys! :wavey:

2. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I would recommend joining Glocktalk.com, I joined when I got my G19 about 7 months ago and there is just a wealth of information on that site.

Edit: Congrats on the Glock, enjoy!

3. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Well I riced out my Glock with all factory parts from the last gun show. I got a 3.5lb connector, extended slide release and and extended mag release. I only recommend the extended mag release if you are going to use A-grips ( www.brookstactical.com ). I have had Meprolight Low-profiles on since the gun was new.

I have to say that the Meprolights are by far the best night sights I have ever used with a handgun. They have far superior lamps to anything else out there. I think they use something like 20% more tritium than the next competetor.

As far as the uncaptured guide rod I have seen good products at www.glockmeister.com .

The best thing that I have put in my glock is the A-grips. I can't stress how awesome of an addition it is.

As far as any other goodies I have to recommend www.topgungear.com for a very nice, handmade, and FAST kydex holster. I have owned every other kydex holster out there and this one is even better than Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech. I recommend the Convertable Speed Cut.

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

did you go with the factory Glock connector, or did you get an aftermarket piece? i dont know just how close to 3.5lbs the aftermarket ones get. funny you say "riced out", as the Glock feels more "ricey" to me compared to my other guns... hence the willingness to convert just about anything on it. :naughty:

as for mag release, my hands are too small even with the Arotek mag extension. i normally overcome this with other guns by flip-flopping the mag release on my Sigs, or have the benefit of an ambidextrous mag release on my HK's.

as for slide release, this is my concealed secondary pistol... so if i run it out to empty, the course was too damn long, or i shoulda reloaded. :rofl:

i've used Meprolight and actually dislike them for the same reason you like them... too bright. :hs: i do like their Novak style option, though... unlike what Trijicon offers.

i'll check them out. someone mentioned "topglock" to me once, but the site is so disorganized, i started searching for others. :hs:

i'll keep that in mind... as for now, it's in an SOB holster since it's a secondary gun for competition, and my Sig is in a Safariland speed holster.

5. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Glock sack riders? Theres just a lot of ppl that like glocks cause they're flat out good.

6. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

i love the 23 yeah you can bascially buy converison barrels and switch to three different calibers 9,40,357 you need to check out www.lonewolfdist.com
    they have shitload of upgrades for glocks.

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

obviously you had nothing to add to this conversation.

go away. :rolleyes:

but just to give you what you're looking for:

as you said, they're GOOD, but i own better guns, and the Glock is by no means "the best". it's a GOOD service pistol... it shoots 3" groups at 7 yards with the best of reliability with all grades of ammo and a properly trained shooter all out of the box. it offers high capacity with a narrow grip diameter to offer the most amount of comfort for the greatest amount of shooters. it is priced in the mid 400 to mid 500 range brand new to fit the budget of most shooters. it features minimal parts (35 parts, 3 pins, and no screws used to be the original selling mantra) and no manual safety levers to turn the learning curve into a flat line for new shooters and use under stressful situations. it also features an ergonomically designed grip angle to provide a natural pointing angle for *many* shooters.

but along with it's serviceablity comes caveats... a "loose" gun is reliable in most cases as it allows for movement to assist in feeding of ammunition in the semi-automatic realm. loose tolerances also allow for dirty conditions to not hamper the reliability of a gun to some degree. unfortunately, a "loose" gun is not an accurate gun as judged by the amount of movement from frame to slide when a gun is in battery. there are guns that can shoot circles around a glock at 25 yards compared to a glock at only 7 yards, the Sig Sauer classics and HK USP series to name two.

but like you said, the Glock is a GOOD gun for what it was designed for... a service pistol. but even a "dog" service pistol like the Colt 1911 Government Model can be polished into a "great" pistol, which is why I have not sold this Glock in 9 years.

but thanks for your absolutely meaningless, useless, worthless, and completely baseless impression of the Glock Semi-Automatic service pistol made in Austria and designed by Gaston Glock for use by the Austrian military since 1987. :wavey:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  8. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

I have the factory connector. I didn't notice that much of a difference but the trigger reset is much better. If this is your carry gun then I'd stick to factory accesories.

The A-grips are a must.

9. oakie

oakie my ninja.

were there any other modifications done to the Glock in prep for the 357Sig calibre other than the barrel and spring swap?

i know back when they first made the G22, they added a third pin to strengthen the frame...

10. oakie

oakie my ninja.

nope... not my carry gun. this one is purely another of my "fun guns" and will only be used for stationary target and IPSC shooting as a "backup" gun.

11. oakie

oakie my ninja.

anyone ever install a new striker/firing pin spring? i have heard this can decrease take-up tension making for a more defined "break"... but i have also heard this can reduce reliability in some cases.

12. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

so far from what i read its 100% conversion

13. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

another thing the only thing i would be worry about is the 9mm conversion because its a low energy caliber in a high energy frame.the extractor and ejector on the 23 is angle differently to accept the extra force an in order for a 100% coversion on the 9mm you need to change spring,extractor,ejector for it to extract/eject correctly.

14. oakie

oakie my ninja.

it's all good on that front... i have no use for 9mm as i own no guns chambered for it anyways.

15. user32

user32 Guest

I would reccomend the following upgrades:

3.5lb connector
    Glock OEM Extended Slide Release
    Glock Extended mag realease

and if you want to spend some money a competition trigger with trigger bar makes a world of difference

I would also strongly reccomend picking up this book: http://www.ptooma.com/products.asp?Prod=Book
    It has over 300 pages of information on disassembly, reassembly, parts interchangability, customization, etc... This book also covers caliber conversions and what you need to do them correctly.

The book and the above listed parts are available through www.lonewolfdist.com, I have dealt with them for years and they are great.

16. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

17. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Wow.

18. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:naughty:

I bet the ATF has them bookmarked :hs:

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

This can be said of titanium after-market Glock parts in general.

20. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

interesting

I just filed mine down...

21. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

filed what down?

22. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

When we have a Glock that won't run right in a class the first thing we do is check to see if it is over lubed. If it still wants to act up we strip out all the aftermarket crap and replace it with OEM stock parts. I have yet to see that not fix a problem that wasn't due to mags.

People feel the need to "upgrade" something that runs fine stock. 99% of the time they decrease reliability and seldom increase the gun's performance in any way.

Plus it's always easier to blame the gun when you can't shoot rather than learning how to shoot.

"If only I had a titanium striker and a competition trigger bar I'd be able to shoot better."

Bah.

23. Bill2k1

Bill2k1 Simple Man

that appears to be the selector switch, not the sear needed to fire fully automatic. That video has been on the net for a long while, dunno if that site made it or just copied it.

24. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i've been eyeing this system here: http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/14_68/products_id/203

and combining it with a stock Glock Comp 3.5lb spring and connector set from their limited lineup.

i've also seen an aluminum trigger kit from Brownell's that i have heard nothing from anyone about located here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...x?p=9523&title=ALUMINUM+TRIGGER+for+GLOCK~<P>

but to further increase the pull feel, i'm still waiting on a verdict from anyone who has a lightened striker spring.

25. oakie

oakie my ninja.

the 45acp is an inherently more accurate round than 40S&W. the 40 smith's accuracy complaint is a longstanding one since it's inception by the FBI out of the 10mm shell.

but a fitted bbl cannot overcome the loose slide to frame fit.