GUN GLOCK Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tragicher0, Nov 21, 2005.

1. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

Just got my first GLOCK (23c) and was wondering if a rumor I heard was true

Is it true that using the slide release lever to release the slide all the time, instead of pulling back and releasing, will cause damage to it, and cause the slide to not lock after last shot?

2. emad

emad Lost

yes, it'll wear down the notch on the slide.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

No it won't. It is a bad habit for many reasons but it won't damage the pistol.

4. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

Please explain why this is a bad habit

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

- Working the slide provides more spring tension, which means the pistol goes into battery with more force. This could be important if your using ammo with slight irregulararities, like the really cheap shit or worn out re-loads, or if the slide has grit in it.

- Operating the slide everytime gives you a consistent method for chambering a round, which is good for muscle memory. I.e., operating the slide chambers a round every time. Working the slide release only chambers a round after you've run dry and reloaded. This is amplified if it is a defensive pistol, and you normally carry/store it with the chamber empty. You want you brain to react with the method that chambers a round every time, not the one that only works part of the time. Along those same lines, the slide release on a Glock is fucking small, and not something you want to be fumbling for in stress situation.

6. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

The glock's slide is treated with tennifer (sp?) which makes it harder than a diamond. You're not going to hurt either part. Sometimes people (newbies) will slingshit it forward but not fully release and guide it forward and it won't go into battery correctly

7. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

although I have not heard that using the slide release w/o using your hand to guide the slide will damage the gun, I have heard stories where doing so has fired off a round. I'm sure if you search www.glocktalk.com, you will find more info on it.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

That's a Slamfire and is simply caused by the slide slamming forward and the firing pin being forward for some reason. Shouldn't have anything to do with the way the slide was released.

9. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

I'm sure if the slide was released by being guided by hand, the chances of a "slamfire" would be greatly reduced. In any case, I don't releae the slide by simply manipulating the slide release switch, I will guide it with my weak hand.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Why does the slide need to be guided? It slams home after every single shot and you don't have slam fires from regular shooting.

If I release the slide w/ the slide release, then I push it down and let it slam forward. If I pull the slide back by hand, then I pull it back to let the slide release disengage and then just let it go. If anything, the slide slams harder with the 2nd method since it has a longer distance to travel. I've been using the 2nd method all the time for awhile now. It's easier.

11. Henry47

Henry47 New Member

Hmm....that's true, I really don't know what to say to that. But why does the firing pin come forward only when being released, but not when a shot is fired?

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

It does sometimes. I've heard of people having 2 rounds fire w/ one shot.

It's a malfunction of the gun.

You can also get it where the firing pin is jammed forward and it slam fires and then continues to fire and dumps the whole magazine like a full auto.

13. mvizos

mvizos New Member

You're better off just letting the slide slingshot forward. If you do guide it forward and it does slamfire, you've now got your hand right there to get hit by it.

And, if you'll refer to your glock owners manual (at least, these are page #'s in mine: Page 23, Step 4 (top of the page)

After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open.

Remove the empty magazine from the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downward (see photo 2), or pull the slide slightly backward and allow it to spring forward. The weapon is now again ready to fire.

So, while it may be bad habit, glock apparently thinks there is no harm in doing it this way, since it's one of two methods they list in the manual.

edit: for my money, pull it back, let it go forward all on its own. Screw riding the slide forward.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

it might wear down your slide catch eventually, but I wouldnt worry about it.. even if your slide catch does wear down.. which would take awhile.. its like a $3 part