GUN Glock peeps, slide function question...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Mar 19, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Took my 19 out the range and put about 200 rounds through it on Saturday. Everything seemed to run smooth but I have a question about proper functioning...

Situation is...

Shoot the magazine dry, slide catch works fine and I get a last shot hold open. I slap in a fresh loaded magazine, and the slide automatically releases and chambers a round. This only happens with loaded mags, not empties. I was under the impression that I should have to either hit the slide release lever, or manually cycle the slide to go into battery. I'm sure I'm not accidentally hitting the slide release when loading the mag.

So, pardon my ignorance, but is it proper function for the loading of a full magazine to automatically release the slide catch?

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

just about every gun will do that if you slam the mag in hard..

are you slamming it in real hard, or just pushing it in lightly til it clicks?

try putting it in more lightly, it should stay open..

slamming it in too hard can damage the mag catch

3. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

Nicely loading a full magazine with little to no force it should not go into battery, slapping one in with a decent amount of force will release the slide catch and automatically chamber a round.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

:rly:

I put a little pop into it. Not Chuck Norris round-house type of authority, but definitley not "lightly til it clicks".

I'll be more gentle next trip out.

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

:dunno:
    id always just thought that was a glock tacticool thing. ive never noticed it on other semis. i guess i have to start paying more attention

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You aren't going to hurt your mag catch by seating mags firmly.

The slide releases because the slide weighs more than the frame so it stays put a second longer than the frame when you seat a mag with force. It's simple physics and it’s no big deal. You should learn to tug your mag and rack the slide after all reloads anyway.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Shay, and anyone else in the know, is there a chance with Glock mags of overseating due to too forceful an insertion? I do realize that there is a lip created by the floorplate, but still, is it possible?

8. footratfunkface

Okay. Here's the practical application for my question:

I carry 17 mags as my spares for my 19. Is there a real possibility of tearing up that notch by forceful insertion, and ending up with overinsertion? I've heard stories, but never witnessed, about AR mags doing this, and being a bitch to get out, beyond just causing malfunctions. It's one of the reasons I don't fucking pound my AR mags into place, and I do a pull-check on them when I insert, simply because I don't beat them into place, which leaves a possibility that they're not seated all the way. Man, I think I comma-spliced like hell.

9. Aviator

Aviator Banned

But if the slide releases and chambers a round at mag insertion, then wouldn't racking the slide again pop out the unfired round?

10. footratfunkface

Wouldn't you like to know that you chambered a round in the first place? It is possible for the slide to close in such a manner as you described without actually chambering a round.

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

That's why you press check :hsugh:

12. Platinum_Thunder

I honestly don't know much about the mechanics of a Glock, maybe Nismotom does. I alway slam them in and always did on my Wilson.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Yes, it would, but wouldn't it be better to know there is a round in the chamber than just guessing?

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Also... I slammed around my G34 today and couldn't get it to release the slide at all from a sudden jolt to the gun. Had to rack the slide manually or hit the slide release.

15. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah, mainly if you're putting your gun away in your house and want it ready. But surely every time you load a mag you don't rack, catch the unfired round, unload the mag, insert the round, and then reinsert the mag?? :ugh:

16. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Thast my favorite thing about glocks.... when Im doing a fast mag change I love slamming it in there so it goes to battery and chambers the round so I can start acquiring my target.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you are doing range bullshit your question makes sense. If you are training for defense you:
    1. Seat the mag firmly.
    2. Tug the mag.
    3. Rack the slide.

This is for both emergency reloads and tactical reloads (or reloads with retention). I'm a firm believer in simplicity in defense and that means one answer to many questions. The worst case you have if you train yourself to rack the slide after all reloads is to dump one round on the ground. The worst case if you don't rack is to get back in the fight with an empty chamber. I'd rather dump one round than hear a click when I need a bang.

A press check is a possibility but it is a fine motor skill and takes the common action out of racking for all reloads.

18. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Understood. :cool:

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

its funny you mention racking the slide, chambered or not. When I was at a uspsa comp a week or two back, there was a stage with 4 sections, 6 shots each, mandatory reload between each one. Hence, leaving one in the chamber each time.. but I remember actually pausing, and taking the time to think, "oh yeah, I dont need to rack the slide".

I think I'll just rack no matter what.

20. Platinum_Thunder

This is how I do reloads.