GUN Glock Grip reduction, stippling, aluminum oxide.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, Oct 22, 2008.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I went and asked my boss (I work for glockworx ) about how he does the grip reduction and the various texturing as well as the stippling tool as mentioned in the other thread. Well I got an ear full. In fact he said if I was so interested in it and I was telling people about it I better learn how to do it. So I went about doing a aluminum oxide grip and a stipple grip on two of my frames.
    The first step and the most time consuming is the prep. The grip has to be shaved down and roughed up before it can be textured. We used a belt sander (2" wide belt) to sand the rear hump off the backstrap to flatten it out, and to take off the finger notches. The grip has to be turned/rotated as you sand on the belt sander to keep from making a nasty flat spot. There was also a trick of then to use the edge of the belt, when to flex the belt and pressure. Took me a while to get the hang of it and my boss had to step in a few times to correct little mistakes. After shaving 2 grip I was covered in polymer dust. It was fairly time consuming and messy. You can do all this with a dremel but it is harder to get everything even, and takes 10x longer. The finger grooves take a long time to sand flat with a dremel.
    Next we went at the grips with a dremel to cut the bottom of the trigger guard. This part was shapped to my hand. This part also took some time to get right. The sides and the backstrap were further shapped so the gun indexes naturally for me and I could reach the mag release without shifting my grip. The whole grip was then touched up for the next step which was texturing.
    Here are some pictures to give an idea of how much material came off the grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Some questions have been asked about the tooling for our stippling job. I did not ask specificly for permission to post these pictures so please use them for your information only and do not go posting them elsewhere on the net. Please refer other people to this thread if they are interested.
    A stainless steel rod or brass rod is lathed to fit a soldering iron. The rod is then checkered with a checkering file. This is what we use to create the clean pattern for our stipple grip texture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you try to make your own stipple tool we take no responsibility if you hurt yourself or screw up your grip. If you don't know what your doing you can screw something up big time. If you do not have a lathe, checkering file, and other files to finish the checkering pattern do not attempt. Also best to practice on something other than your frame until you are proffficent.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

OK here are my two finished grips.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

again on mo[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

On both grips a line is scribed on the top and the bottom to mark the edges of the textures. Since I'm a competition shooter I marked the bottom line so I could use a magwell.
    With the aluminum oxide you brush a even layer of epoxy on the surfaces to be textured. The trick is to get the coating as even as humanly possible. We use a paintbrush with the bristles cut down. Then the aluminum oxide is poured on thick onto the grip and the excess removed. The aluminum oxide is carefully worked in so there are no high, low or bald sports. The grip is retouched several times till it is perfect.
    With the stipple you just go around and stamp the whole grip with the pattern. You have to becareful not to press too hard and there are several tricks in making a strait line with a round stamp. I did a OK job and my boss went in and cleaned it up. It is not as pretty as some of his grip jobs but I think I did a decent job. He said I just need more practice but after a few more grip jobs I should be pretty good at it.
    Here is my stipple job on my glock 35 set up for uspsa limited division.

[​IMG]

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

GManBart on benos has a good little EDU on this as well. I will be doing some stippling and contouring on my SVI next week. I'll take some pictures as well of the development work.

Nice write up.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm curious btw what wattage iron you run? At some point its probably too hot and just makes a mess.

8. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

nice job. i still would rather have a beavertail, helps make master grip easier to obtain.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

So, where do you get Aluminum Oxide?

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

A+ thread