GUN Glock crue v.take on 33

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4thgenceli, May 24, 2009.

1. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Looking at a glock 33 w/ the .40 barrel on the side (chambered @357). What's yer take? Read that the trigger take some getting used to, as well as field strippin can be a bitch.

v.newb/glock/yaddayaddabullshithazing

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Glocks are very easy to field strip. .357 is kinda spendy, since it's a subcompact I assume you're going to carry it? Any reason you want .357 over a 9mm or just a .40?

3. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

The shop I'm buying it at is selling it as a .357, but with the .40 barrel. Yeah it's gonna be a concealed one. I have a .40 ruger and 9mm smith, but they're too bulky to conceal (at least for me).

I'm planning on keeping it as .357.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you can't field strip a Glock, then you shoudn't own a gun. It takes 20 seconds, literally. Who ever wrote it was difficult must be retarded.

.357 sig ain't going to be cheap to practice with, and you'll have to practice some to get used to the recoil of the round.

5. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

God fuck this medicine I'm on.

I'm buying it as a 357sig, and the dealer is selling me the barrel to make it a .40 as well. I figured that it would be a pricey bitch after seeing the ammo prices and whatnot, and thus the reasoning behind buying the .40 barrel as well (I have an assload of .40 ammo hanging around). If I don't like the 357, I turn around and sell the barrel.

I haven't checked out how to field strip a glock, this is just some reviews I've been reading (shakes fist at google)

<continues reading gt.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

It's not hard.

1. Drop mag, rack slide, make sure chamber is clear.
    2. Pull trigger
    3. Pull slide back about 1/4 inch and pull down the take down levers on the frame
    4. Push slide forward and it comes off.

After that, just take the barrel out and the guide rod/recoil spring assembly.

Use this as a reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-HqFri6DCw

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

How much is the guy charging for everything?

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Not even that much. Just need to relieve the pressure against the takedown "lever" and it will move easily. Actual minimum movement is something like 0.010" if that.

9. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

750 w/ tax (just shy of 850 after taxes and shit I'm buying with it).

10. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

I hope he'll knock the price down a little bit for you. I believe MSRP on the gun itself is 595 (dealer cost is more like just over 400) and you can buy the spare barrel for 120 from glockmeister. If cost isn't a big deal I certainly don't mean to dissuade you.

It sounds like a fun setup though. It'll be a great gun. People that invest in it seem to really like the 357sig and I guess Glock does a great job of applying the round to their CCW platform.

11. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Well then.. I think you just saved me cash :)

< orders barrel from glockmeister

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, that's a shitload for a Glock. You can usually find them for ~$500

13. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Well fuck.

I went and molested a XD compact & sub-compact. I like how they felt better in my hand than the g33 (namely the .40 XDsc w/ ext). Now I know why women bitch about buying shoes all the time..

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

So go with the XD. They are great guns despite the Glock love on this forum. Glock reliability is undeniable and does have the history that the XD does not, but the XD is a great and accurate gun and will do what you need it to. I got rid of all my Glocks after I got my XDm as it just felt so much better and I shoot it better and that is more important than anything else.

15. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

^^ I disagree insofar as one's ability to shoot at the range doesn't really translate into effectiveness in what is a probable self-defense encounter. In fact, most range training is done at distances that may take you out of "legal shoot" range entirely in all but the most improbable scenarios. If you can hit a 10"x10" area at six feet shooting one-handed, you should be able to hit an assailant. (This is as opposed to having a 8" group rather than a 10" group at fifteen yards, or whatever you shoot.)

My argument for the Glock refers to its stature as reigning champion in terms of ruggedness and durability, and also the extreme simplicity of design - particularly in that the only thing one has to do to defeat all of the system's safeties is pull the trigger. (I absolutely hate the backstrap safety.)

But get whatever you want.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Who said I was talking about strictly range shooting? I shoot a lot of IDPA and to a lesser extent USPSA (due to availability) and I most definitely shoot the XD much better than the Glock's. They are just uncomfortable to me, probably because I also shoot 1911s and 2011s and therefore the grip is just messed up on the Glock to me.

But I will disagree with the idea that if you dont shoot it as well its just as good. IMO, the best gun for you is the one that you can shoot accurately and comfortably without thinking. Its not like Glocks dont break and the chances of a failure on most modern day guns is negligible at best.

This whole idea of the Glock as the only gun for sd because of its reliability is just silly. There are a lot of fine and reliable guns out there that will serve virtually anyone just fine.

17. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I have that model. Shoots more accurate than my Glock 22 (Full Size .40cal)

I love it. Just be aware it's loud and has some kick to it. Glock doesn't call it the pocket rocket for nothing. :wiggle:

18. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

No point in buying a subcompact with a grip extension, and they make grip extensions for subcompacts glocks. Or you could just run G22 mags

19. bacca

bacca Guns, Pussy, Paintball, Cars- What theres more in

I love my 33 and paid WAY less than that.

20. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I paid $486 for mine slightly used from Scheel's. It came with night sights and 4 magazines plus the box and manual. :bowdown:

21. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I paid $560otd for my G27, which was high, and $580 for my G23C otd.
    I have a 33 barrel for my 27, and like the caliber, just can't afford to shoot it too much.

22. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Stick with 9mm

23. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Gotta love the .40 Glocks. I have a 9mm Lone Wolf barrel for my G23C and after shooting the new barrel for the first time this weekend, I'm probably going to buy a 9mm barrel for the G27 as well :bigthumb:

24. +1

Not that the .357sig is a bad round, it's just an answer to a question nobody asked. Either 9mm or .40 are going to be more available, and likely less expensive.

25. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

I ended up getting the XD40. Fired the 33 a few times, just didn't like the lack of grip even with the extension. The Xd40sc felt better, but with the extension is the same size as the regular one. Plus I was more accurate with the XD than the 33, and that's always better.

+1 for sharing ammo