GUN Glock crew: what the fuck slide release

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sp00n155, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

The slide release on my G30 can move out from the side of the pistol about 1/2 of a cm. When it is moved out is the only time I can use it to release the slide without pulling the slide farther back and letting go. If the release is pressed in against the frame no amount of downward pressure will release the slide (I pushed hard enough to cause my thumb to bleed yesterday)

Its a factory stock pistol, how can I fix this? Mag in/out loaded/unloaded does not change anything.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Make sure the wire nubbin on the slide release is under the locking block pin. If it is on top of the pin your going to get all kinds of issues, mostly the gun going into slide lock when it should not.

The correct way to make sure the nubbin is always under the pin is to install the top locking block pin first, then the slide stop next, then the trigger pin. If you do it in this order you will not have any issues.

We got some videos on www.glockworx.com that address these issues. Check them out

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

On glocks, the proper way to release the slide is to pull back on the slide, not use the slide lock. :hs:

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I recommend the overhand method for dropping the slide in most cases. It uses gross motor skill which is easier to do under stress. Using the sling shot method (pinching the back of the slide with thumb and index finger) is fine motor skill and more difficult to do under stress. Then there is pushing the slide release. Again fine motor skill, hard to do under stress.

I got junked in a debate with some IDPA guys by saying they should overhand their slides as it's more tactical, what they would do in a real gun fight, same as their malfuntion drills, develop muscle memory etc. They hammered me that because they are forever shooting to slide lock it is faster to use the slide release. Then I called them gamers etc, which they didn't like. whatever it was like 50 against 1. I love how when the tactical nut jobs game it's ok.

5. sp00n155

I removed the slide from my pistol and looked down along the release mech. There is a small wire/end of a spring that has a 90 degree hook into a small plastic "barrel" looking thing on the slide release. It is currently resting on top of the barrel and hooking into it. You're saying it should be underneath the "barrel" hooking into it?

6. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I don't use the slide release on any of my guns anymore.

7. sp00n155

I also agree the slide release is far more efficient/easier to operate in speed/stress situations, which is why I am concerned with my G30s slide stop fail.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Slide release is the faster. Of course if your gun drops the slide when you seat a mag, nothing is going to be faster than that.

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I think you misread him.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

What happens if you cant use your other hand? :run::o

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Truth is I thumb the slide release. I do not teach this to regular shooters though. It think if you learn gun manipulation for self defense and do not practice very much then you better standardize on using overhand.

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I do all 3. :o I personally prefer thumb, but in my case, trigger finger. Just what I'm comfortable with from using the HK USP. And that had a HUGE release. So hard to fuck that one up.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well of course in this case if the slide release was avaliable you would use that.

Actually this was also covered in a tactical pistol class I took. (yeah you fucks I've taken my share of training, I'm not just a gamer). You can rack the slide by catching the front of your rear sight on the heel of your shoe. Also works with tables or anything object you have handy.

14. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Or bite the back of the slide with your teeth and pull. :bowdown:

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

do not recommend do that.

16. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

point muzzle into sky
    slam mag into gun hard.

slide releases itself. :o

17. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Concur for accuracy

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I would disagree. After all, pulling the trigger is a fine motor skill, and apparently that isn't so hard to do in a high stress situation :dunno:

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Jeans work too.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

pulling the trigger is easy. Actually hitting anything is hard. Under stress many people don't shoot very well.

the difference is you have a choice between fine and gross motor skill as far as dropping the slide is concerned.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've heard people say this often but never fully liked it. The idea is that my fingers don't work well enough to use the slide release button but they worked just fine on the magazine release? I don't know I haven't been there but it sounds fishy to me.

And check your PM yar :big grin:

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Lock the slide back, and slam a mag in (hard). The slide will go forward.

23. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Actually doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

Glock does not consider it a "slide release", but a "slide lock lever". The intended function is only to hold the slide open on an empty mag. Glock's manual of arms is that if you need to manually manipulate the slide lock lever, it is done in conjunction with an "overhand" grip of the slide to release it.

The low profile stock lock lever can be very hard to manipulate by itself, especially on a new gun. You'll want to look into getting one of the extended slide lock levers if you want to use it as a release.

24. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Funny you should bring that up... I've got a S&W M&P that occasionally will drop the slide when i slap in my next mag, but it doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes it goes, and sometimes i've got to hit the slide release... Is that indicative of a problem with my gun?

25. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

No, most semiautos will do it. Some more than others. Its simply a function of the slide lock getting shaken loose with the impact of the magazine seating. I can make my Glocks and HK's do it like clockwork, SIGs not as often.