GUN Glock crew: 31 -> 22?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dr. Fuckface, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

is the .40 barrel really all i need to run .40 in what was originally .357SIG? will I need G22 mags, or will the G31 mags function well with .40 ammo?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think it'll work, most .40 to .357sig conversions work with the .40 mags I think the opposite is true also.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

isn't .357sig just .40 necked down anyway, so everything BUT the barrel would be the same :dunno:

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup that's all you'll need.

As for the extractor, I'm sure it'll work. I don't remember what the .357 sig extractor looks like. If you can take a shot of your frame, from up top looking down at your extractor I can tell you if it works. It has to be the straight kind. I know I had issues with my 40-9 conversion because of this.

What aftermarket barrel are you going with? I have a KKM and my brothers LWD barrel is just as nice and shoots just as well.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

Or you can test fire, shouldn't be an issue. But if you have FTE's or you are getting weak ejection from your cases, that's all you'll need and that's a cheap fix.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, true dat. I just remember the problems I had with my G22-9mm conversion. With my XD's, my .357 sig and .40 I used the exact same mag. Springfield told me they are just stamped differently but the same mag.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, agreed. It works okay, but I had weak extractions and a few FTE's.

With all the paranoia of counter suits and legal ramifications, I use box stock everything with my defensive weapons.

8. Dr. Fuckface

Hey, I'm glad you're here.

Haven't decided on a particular barrel, yet. This pertains to my dad's G31 that's never been out of its case, much less shot. I think I can talk him into giving it to me, and I'd like to run 40 in it for idpa SSP. So i need to keep it within the limits of SSP. Also, what i've read indicates that the extra room in the factory barrels shortens the lifespan of the brass.

what i additionally wanted to ask you was, didn't you mod your glock up to what is basically a G35? how much did the the extended mag release and slide stop run you? the trigger? were you able to change it out yourself, or did you have to take it to a gunsmith?

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

For IDPA, the only mod I got done to my G17 was a Lone Wolf connector, some grip tape and a polished trigger assembly. Also stock G35 controls (mag release and slide release) Everything else is box stock. As per SSP division rules specify.

I've got two, my G35 is basically stock internally. Most of the money went into my shooting rig, extended mag plates, magwell, holsters and pouches and sights. I've been fooling around with my guide rod and matching my recoil spring to my custom handload ammo. but other than that, all I've got in it internally is a Lone wolf connector and some "minor" polishing to th internals. I wouldn't suggest you fooling around with that if your not comfortable. You can really mess things up if you take too much off.

As for the extended slide and mag release, it was easy as pie. Tell you what. If I have time tonight, I'll try and make a video for you and show you. Or I'll snap some pics as a tutorial for you. It's easy, but there a few "key" things you need to do.

the pieces are VERY cheap, I think i got them both for under 20$ from glockparts.com. they are very good and fast to ship.

If you are shooting in SSP, you are semi handicaping yourself by shooting .40. 9mm is a much better platform because of reduced recoil. It's the preferred round. Also, it's much cheaper to shoot, and nothing in this sport circumvents practice.

Start of slow, learn the safety aspect, shoot slow enough to get 0 down hits and don't feel like you have to keep up with the more experienced shooters. That's a new shooters biggest down fall. Get your 0 down hits, and your speed will come with experience.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  10. Dr. Fuckface

can i plz has a kkm? :wtc:
    besides, those are pretty pricey. if i can get by with an LWD for $100 I will, the main thing is to get into SSP for cheap. all other lootcakes are to be allocated to a 1911 or practical rifle setup :cool:

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

dude, get a LWD for 89$. they've done some tests on Glocktalk and the verdict was that LWD was every bit as good and accurate compared to the Barstols and KKM barrels. they are actually a very highly regarded company in the glocking world.

You also need one specific to a "conversion" from 357 to 40. It's not a "stock" 40 cal barrel you are after. make absolutely sure you mention that. They have them specifically for conversions for a reason.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm actually using my stock barrel now because my KKM was giving me problems with FTF. And I didn't want to go with an undersized die.

The barrel was so tight it actually affected reliability.

13. Dr. Fuckface

crap, I mean ESP, not SSP. mostly because I want the option of shooting IPSC as well as IDPA.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here are the only mods I'd suggest for you. dont' get too wrapped up in aftermarket accessories too much as you can ruin the reliability of your glock. and an unreliable glock is useless. they're ugly, boring guns. their only saving grace is that they are die hard reliable.

I'd suggest:

- good set of sights. I'd suggest Hienie race cut rears, with a Dawson Fiber optic front sight. the key here is quick/rapid front sight acquisition. I would highly suggest going with fiber optic rears. You want your eye's to dart towards the front sight.
    - LWD connector. It' makes your trigger a lot more crisp, it's cheap and shortens your reset. In this game, it's all about the reset. watch my double taps, Splits is what it's all about.
    - Mags, at least 5, there's no time for a faulty mag. Number them so you can track any problems you have with them.
    - Grip tape. I find it helps with recoil, as well as getting a good grab on the gun when drawing.
    - AMMO, tons of it. there is absolutely NOTHING that circumvents practice. And it will show.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

ESP is such a tough crowd to run with to start off. I'd suggest shooting in SSP. You're going to run against highly modified 1911's shooting 9mm in ESP.

I shoot my G17 in both IPSC and IDPA. I can go up to ESP if I wanted. it's all about the indian, not the arrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

True dat. But Glocks are the AK's of the world. I would never consider them ideal Bullseye guns. they are losey goosey and that's what keeps them reliable. When you fool around with ol Gastons design and tighten them up is when you get issues with reliability.

Besides, most of the tarets in IDPA and IPSC are within 7-10 yards. Although the last State Championship I shot at we had to shoot 3 tarets out to 35 yards from Prone. I actually did very well. :mamoru:

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

Agreed. Sevigney's I hear are also really nice. Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.

18. Dr. Fuckface

lulz, i thought i had this figured out :rofl: :confused: :doh:

#6 on page 21 of the rule book:
    but i guess it could be argued that a 17 is a 22 is a 31, just different calibers that were offered in factory models?

and, just to make sure i understand this correctly: the difference in SSP and ESP isn't caliber, it's the allowable modifications?

and finally, I could be completely off on this, but I always thought the strategy was to run a larger caliber at a lighter load to make the minimum power requirements. wouldn't you have to run a bigger load, with more recoil, in a 9mm than with a larger, heavier projectile like the .40?

Looking at the LWD site, i don't see a conversion barrel for a 31 to shoot 9mm. edit: nevermind, found it.

i know I'm overthinking this, and that the point is just to get out there and do it. i just figure that as long as I'm stuck in the office, I might as well try and learn as much as possible ahead of time. anyways, thanks for your time and patience, guys. I learn more here than anywhere else.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  19. AB13

AB13 New Member

crap, that's right. I forget about that clause in IDPA. Yeah, you have to shoot what the original gun is for. (whisper) all glocks look the same and they may not pick up. Don't ask, don't tell. (/whisper) Worst comes to worst, you can buy a stock slide and no one will be the wiser.

Yeah, ESP just means you can do slightly more modifications like magwells, etc. SSP is relatively box stock except for what I've done, sights, triggers, etc.

but no, for reals, just page me on here and I'd be more than happy to answer your questions in regards to IDPA/USPSA. It's basically been my world for a while and I enjoy talking about it so don't sweat it.

You're doing very well with doing all of the reading you can so you can be prepared. Too many folks I see at new shooters orientation with some goofy stuff on and have no clue. Which is why I usually bring extra gear to lend out to folks.

If you were local I'd be more than happy to coach you through.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

Okay, so for IDPA SSP/ESP division they don't have major or minor, powerfactors. It just has a minimum power floor. Which is 125 with a .355 projectile. which is why everyone shoots 9mm. Cheap, and less recoil = more practice and quicker follow up shots.

But in USPSA in Limited, Limited 10 and Open class, there is a "major" and "minor" powerfactor and it affects how your shots are scored.

In USPSA the minimum PF is .40 projectile and it must make a minimum powerfactor of 165.

You have it somewhat correct, but the principal is a little off. the strategy is to use a "heavier" projectile, with less powder to make powerfactor to have reduced recoil. Which is why I shoot 147 grain in 9mm with only 3.2 grains of titegroup to make minimum powerfactor of 125. Part of the factor of factoring in Powerfactor is bullet weight.

Bullet loads vary depending on what you shoot so you should test using a chronograph.

In USPSA Production (which is what I would suggest you start out in) it is shot ONLY in minor powerfactor. so use the bare minimum (9mm).

yeah, it's kinda confusing, let me know what you understand and don't understand and I'll try to elaborate. I'm multitasking while taking in a conference call rite now. :mamoru:

21. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I've swapped barrels between the 23 and 32 many times. The same is not always true with other brands, but with Glocks, the only difference between the .40s and .357s is the barrel.

The breach face, extractor, lugs, springs, magazine and follower are all the same.

22. Dr. Fuckface

dude, that was awesome. you'd be a great instructor, very clear and concise. you're right; I was approaching IDPA with an IPSC frame of mind.

I'm going to do SSR with my k-frame; now that I realize I won't have to run .357 and instead I can shoot a real light .38 load:wiggle:

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

K-Frames are awesome. And the SSR field is relatively small. Most of our matches that consist of 60-80 people, there are never more than 3-8 people at most in them. So if you are consistent with your wheel gun, you can dominate. Actually the most favored format is using a Smith 625 or 610 a round that uses "auto" ammo in either .45 or .40 so you can use Moon clips. Moon clips are the way to go in wheel gun in competitive shooting. It's very fast and easier than a speed loader. And cheap to shoot. And if you already shoot a .40 in auto, you can load for both your revolver and shoot very light loads.

24. Dr. Fuckface

I thought IDPA created a second class, ESR, for moon-clip revolvers:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_52/ai_n16498969
    either way, the point is to get out and do it :hsd: I've got some snap caps coming in, and I'm ordering the Enos book you recommended tomorrow.:wavey:

25. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, you got it correct. It's ESR now. good shit dude. That Enos book "beyond fundamentals" is considered by most serious shooters to be the bible to competitive shooting. it's one of those books you keep next to your bed and read over and over.