GUN Glock 23: Thoughts and opinions wanted

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MaximaDrvr, Jul 8, 2008.

1. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

First thread in WMD :hay:

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I just finished the CCH course for NC and now have 3 months till my appointment to get printed and get my permit.

I have shot on average, once a year for the last 8 years. Glock, S&W, Springfield, Kimber,.... almost every common brand has been shot at some point. I have shot .22, .38, .40, .45, and 9mm at some point.

I recently put about 300 rounds through a rental G23 and like it a lot. The only handgun I have been more accurate with was a Kimber (Custom 2 IIRC?). I have also shot G17, G19, and one other but don't remember the model.

I believe the G23 has a lot of benifits in size and stopping power for CC and home defense. Does anyone have any input before I bite the bullet and buy the first pistol? Both of my parents have revolvers, and I am set on semi-auto.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Get a G19, its a lot easier to shoot, just as much stopping power, cheaper to shoot and more capacity

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would go with the 9mm glock 19. You might like the feel of the 40 at first because it has a different power spike and the 9mm seems to flip more. With practice you'll find the 9mm is easy to shoot well. Again 9mm is cheaper to practice.

You can read all kind of balistic nonsense but what it comes down to is shot placement is king. In order to call your shots you have to practice. A poor shot with the large caliber defensive bullet of the month is only going to piss off a bad guy. The modern 9mm defensive ammo is plenty good if you do your part.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Oh also if you get a 9mm glock you can get those cool 34 round glock 18 mags. WIN

5. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I have had fun with a buddies G17 and 30some round magazine, some 3 years ago. Though, I don't see myself carrying a magazine twice the length of the gun on a normal basis, even OC.

So the + for the G19 is larger capacity, cheaper ammo, and easier to shoot.

The difference is only 2 rounds with the mag that comes with it, and they can all be changed. The ammo cost doesn't really concern me, as I am heavily involved in car modification and it has been beaten into me "pay to play". I will have to go and put a couple hundred rounds through a G19 to see which shoots better for me.

Thanks for the input so far. It really is appreciated.

6. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

even if cost and capacity doesnt matter, the 19 is a lot easier to shoot than a 23.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you like the 40 then cool. Nothing wrong with 40 if you go in that ammo will be 50% more than 9mm.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

33+1 actually :noes:

[​IMG]

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

It's not as bad as you'd think
    [​IMG]

They're both great guns, but IMO the G19 is the benchmark for an inexpensive reliable carry gun. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. I have a G19 and my room mate has a G23 so I have shot them back to back extensively, and the G19 is just a lot easier to place accurate follow up shots with.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

9mm Glocks FTW.

I just got rid of my last Glock. A 17 cut down to a 19 grip..... Still my favorite size for a general purpose type blueprint.

[​IMG]

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Try out an M&P if you're set on .40 cal.

12. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

19 > 23

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Although the stock ejector "can" work, you'll need a 9mm ejector to run properly.

to the OP:

The .40 in a compact can be snappy, at the least check out the G22 before you commit. You can't go wrong with either Glocks. Ammo costs is nill if you are a once a year shooter, but can be a big difference when you start shooting 1k a month, which is easy to do once you get into shooting.

Good luck!

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

just whorein through

[​IMG]

15. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i didn't like my friend's G23 at all. the checkering on the grip was pretty uncomfortable and it was pretty inaccurate when i shot it. i'm a pretty good shot.

oh, and I live in Raleigh also

16. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i mean, if lining up the sights and pulling the trigger applies to glocks then i do. I can call my shots pretty well but they weren't hitting where i was pointing. I mean, it was decent enough for self defense but i'm so used to the accuracy of my Sigs.

17. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

The 23 was perfectly comfortable for me, though I am sure something with less recoil would be even more managable.

I am starting to shoot more often, and will continue to do so as I get closer to getting my CCH permit. At this point, I may pick up a 19 and 23. I am not set on the .40, it is just what I have been shooting lately, and enjoying it. I spent over $100 in the last three days on ammo alone. The goal is to be at the range weekly, so my own gun and bulk ammo purchase are going to be neccessary.

I am really only interested in the compact models, and not full size as it will be a CC weapon for the most part. Any thoughts on the Compensated models? I have not had any experience with them, but a LEO at a store in charlotte spoke highly of it.

A 19 just to have a 33rnd mag makes it worth it by itself. Talk about scaring the guy coming through the door.

Thanks for the comments so far.

BTW:
    I am not a little person. 6' tall, 220lbs.
    Would classify myself as overweight, but fit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Steyr M40A1. :o All the power of diet 10mm, none of the snap.

19. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

I daily carry a 23 and absolutely love it.

As a round I highly prefer the .40 over the 9mm.

20. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I like my M40.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

I CCW a 1911 comfortably, and I am smaller than you are. It's all about getting a nice holster and gun belt.

As for compensated models, what for? Definately not on a shorter barrel as the 23, what did he have to say about it?

Just as a heads up, getting advise about guns from cops is like getting advise about cars from a used car salesman. They are perceived as knowledgable to your general non enthusiest, but we generally know they don't know any more than anyone else from the street, sometimes worst because they have a complex of all knowing. Most of the guys on this board shoot twice as much as your average LEO.

22. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i dont really want to go through the trouble but i'd trade my 19 for a 23

23. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

I like my G23. I bought the 9mm conversion barrel for it and use my dad's G17 mags and it extracts with no problems. If you want a more reliable G23 9mm setup, all you have to do is replace the extractor. With hot .40 ammo, it can make your hand sore after a few mags, but with regular plinking ammo I can shoot it all day.

24. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

[​IMG]

Infinite picture from awhile back

25. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Best advice...