GUN Glock 19

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by monolith, Aug 11, 2004.

1. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I will be turning 21 in about 10 days, I have been shooting shotguns and rifles for the past 5 months, but I haven't shot a handgun yet. I went to the range today and asked a bunch of questions about how I go about buying a gun, what I need to do, etc...I told the person there that I was planning on either buying a Glock or a Sig but since no one around here has a Sig for me to hold/shoot I am leaning towards a Glock...which the range does have.

I want a 9mm and I held a Glock 19 today and I liked the way it felt, when I turn 21 I will go back and shoot it. Here are my main questions:

- Anyone have experience (good or bad) with the Glock 19?

- I told the person working there that I will probably buy the gun online since I can get a Glock 19 for ~$460 off of www.topglock.com instead of the $560 at the range...she informed me that there will be a transfer fee ($35 dollar for the transfer and $5 for the background check), shipping and she also said that if those prices are for LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) that the price for me would be more.

Now that I look at it as I type it I might just get it at the range, S&H from topglock.com is $15 plus $40 for the transfer and background check so that's $65. That saves me like $35 and the wait for the gun and also the off-chance that something gets screwed up with the mail or something, plus I love that range and they have catered to me hand and foot and I guess they deserve the money.

Does this sound ok?

Any advice, suggestions, words of wisdom, etc...are appreciated.

Thank you,

Derik

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If the price isn't much different buy local and establish a life-long relationship.

I carry a Glock 19 all day, every day. It's a GREAT gun.

Get some training early in your learning process. You need to develop good habits in both safety and technique from the start rather than have to unlearn bad habits later on. The NRA's basic pistol course is very simple and can get you started safely. More advanced training in tactics and pure marksmanship is available in most areas of the country and is well worth the time and money.

What state are you located in?

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Try the XD-40 /XD-9 before you buy

4. monolith

Thanks for the reply...I will look into the basic pistol course, I believe the range has them once a month.

I am located in Winter Park, FL.

5. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Glock 19 = perfect carry gun. Lightweight, reliable, easy functioning

I carry mine everyday in the heat and cold no prob. I have dropped it in the mud rinsed it off and fired it. No problem.

Get it. But find a place that will do the transfer for a flat $25. It shouldn't be a problem in FL.

6. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

7. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

san francisco :wtc:

the only places that are below 50 are about 45mins to a hour away.

8. ryanbum

My transfers are free!!

9. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

If your in Winter Park.. Check out http://onpointfirearms.com/home.htm

They are over in St. Pete. They have really good deals on Glocks, they will prolly do better than what is says on their website.

Evan and some of the other guys comes up to shoot FDCC with us, good bunch of people!!!

Our FDCC website http://www.fdcc.us/

10. monolith

That's a great deal, I thank you for it but like I said before I want to make a good "relationship" with this range since they really have taught me almost everything I know about firearms.

But I will definitley keep it in mind...

11. user32

user32 Guest

I own a Glock 19C. Great gun. The compact frame size is perfect for conceiled carry, but is still big enough to make it fun to shoot at the range. The G19 was my second Glock, I had a G36 before. While the G36 was fun to shoot, you can't beat the G19. Plus the G36 holds 6rds of .45, and the G19 holds 15rds of 9mm (if you get standard capacity mags for it).

Here are a few accessories I recommend for the G19. Get an Extended slide release, they make a huge difference (I have a Glock OEM one), get and extended mag realease (again Glock OEM works well). I also have a Ghost 3.5lb connector, competition short reset trigger group, and a M3 light.

You may not want to lighten the trigger pull if you are using it for an every day carry gun.

[​IMG]

12. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Personally I'm not a glock fan (personal preference), but they are good guns.

Just buy it from the range. Talk to the manager, they may lower the price a little... because they would probably make more than they would with just the trensfer fee if you order it.

Personally if I owned the range and you asked me to do a transfer on a brand new gun that I had in stock myself, I wouldnt do it, especially if you didnt first try to negotiate on price with me.

Support your local dealer.

13. ryanbum

There are more than a few cockjockey dealers here in Houston that charge outrageous prices on their guns. Collectors Firearms is one that really marks their shit up. I'm talking like $700 for a Glock. I would never ever buy from them. I only go there to finger fuck their guns. Top Gun is another place, their range is nice but that is outrageously priced also and you have to buy their ammo at $20/box for 9mm.

14. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Well said. I have a great local dealer who I buy from. I get things transfered there as well, but it's always used shit. (Prebans, RemAICS, etc)

Don't know how they compare with other dealers in the area with Glocks, but I don't care either. If I want it, I buy it there. I'm not going to support some asshat just because they're $20 cheaper. My dealer has always treated me good and I will keep going there until he doesn't, even if it costs me an extra $10 or $20 here and there. As long as their in the ballpark.

Customer service goes a long way. :bigthumb:

15. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Does the $550 include tax and dros fee's? If not remember to get an out the door price from them. Unless the wait really bothers you I would get it online.

16. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

Why would you want to make a good "relationship" with someone that price gouges you. I run into that same shit here in the in so. cal. One asshole even tried to tell me that glocks are more expensive in California because the laws. Now I could understand if he meant like a tax or fee on all hanguns but he was trying to convince me that there was a specific tax on just Glocks. :slap:

17. ryanbum

:greddy: Glock 19 w/10lb. NY connector > S&W

What do you carry btw?

18. Jefferson Darcy

on duty: Sig P226.... but its DAO :greddy:

off duty Kahr K9.... smaller than a G26 and the best DAO trigger I've ever used.

for the on duty guns the glock 19 is the easiest to shoot well tho, even with the awful NY2 trigger.

NYPD thinks heavy triggers is better than proper safety training :mamoru:

19. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Jefferson Darcy.
    I sent you an email through the board's email system. Did you get it?

20. ryanbum

Fahgetttaboutit......

So is NYPD anything like the show "Third Watch"? If so where do I join?

21. Jefferson Darcy

no i didnt.

try a PM

22. Jefferson Darcy

yea, except the pay and the fact that we get treated like shit.

Third watch used to be a little more realistic. THe radio codes they use are mostly right tho.

I drove thru a third watch set the other day in Brooklyn in my RMP (police car). It was by my favorite Burrito spot.

23. ryanbum

You should have stopped and pretended to be an actor. And then say, "Where do I pick up my check?"

Hey I'm coming to new york city towards the end of the year, am I allowed to bring my Glizzle 19?

24. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

New York City just changed its laws regarding carrying weapons. You can carry a pistol concealed as long as you inform every cop you see that, "I'VE GOT A GUN!" Be sure to shout it loudly as it can be tough to hear with all the traffic noise and commotion. If they don't believe you at first you may have to show it to them. It’s a pretty progressive policy on weapons because you don't even need a permit or anything...

I'm joking of course.

I'll be in NYC bright and early tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I'll be without my G19.

25. Jefferson Darcy

if your not LEO, NO.

I heard that in the airports they are completely ignoring FOPA and arresting people for having guns in their luggage... even if they are just passing through to change flights.

I hope someone files a suit against the DA behind this, and then he gets collared by the feds for civil rights violations :bigthumb: