GUN Glock 17, First, Er Second First Hand Gun.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by lvkyle, Sep 15, 2004.

1. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

I just turned 21, YAY, and besides the benifits of living in Las Vegas, being able to drink, gamble ect now, I also can buy Hand Guns and Hand gun ammo.

I forced my uncle to buy a Kimer Pro Tactical II for me 2 years ago and give it to me as a *gift. But I ran into some debt and had to let her go with prob less than 200 rounds through her.
    Anyway she only held 7 rounds, and it wasnt exactly what I wanted and I know now my next 45 will be a 14 rounder heh.

So I got a AR15( Olympic Arms Plinker) I know I know, cast receivers suck, but i saved $300 and been shooting her like a bitch since and plan to switch to Forged Receivers soon. The plinker served me well though, no jams, Very Accurate and with a life time warrenty she is well worth it.

I got a 30-30 Marlin Lever action made in 1983 21 years ago just like me. My first gun and rifle I will never let her go. She's my kicker and cowboy gun.

I had a Mossburgh 500 12 gauge 16 inch barrel that came with a 22 inch barrel but again I ran into money problems and like the idiot I am I sold her.

Anyway after I brought home the marlin when i was 21, my uncle went crazy with guns again and bought himself some 12 gauge shottys, and two Glocks.
    He's got the Glock 23 and Glock 27 which are .40 guns.
    I love shooting both, the kick is reasonable and a lot less than my old 45, the only down side is the smaller mags. 10 at the time, now he is getting 13 and 15 rounders of coarse.

My decesion is to get the Glock 17. 16 round mags + one in the chamber plus the 30 round g18 mag is just to great to pass up. The gun is full size yet small enough to conceal, and with +p+ loads im sure it has the stopping power to knock anything down, and with 17 rounds If im still in danger then it's just my time to go lol.

Priced at rounded $500 it seems best bang for your buck with 17 rounds, the only saftey is your finger, light accurate, easy to clean take apart, resale (j/k) and show off with flash light and laser accesories. Plus cheap plinking ammo, you just can't beat it.

Any current or fomer Glock 17 owners wish to comment. How is the accuracy? Im bullseye with my uncles 23 and 27 and from what i read the 17 is even better with less recoil and accuracy.

This gun will be my primary carry, CCW, and perhaps combat (I enlisted in NAVY UNDER SWCC, which is SPEC OPS) all around protect my ass side arm.

Some questions.

Can you conceal it easily, and is it comfortable?

Have you fired the hallowpoints, +P +P+ ammo at any various fruits and melons and surprised at the destruction it causes?

What's the range of accuracy? Will it preform better than my buddies P89, and my uncles 40 cals?

With enough pratice, Will I, or can you, out shoot the old timer 45 cal profits who think one round is the god of all guns?

How much fun is it. My AR = FUN. Anyone with 31 round clips wish to comment on the fact that your still shooting while your buddy is over at the bench reloading?

Anyway thanks for reading. Now All I got to do is find a way to get the extra $350 i need to make the purchase and wait those three gruling days to go pick the bitch up.

Soon my friends, I will be a man. :)

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The Glock 17 is not a target pistol. It is a combat pistol designed first and foremost for reliability in combat situations. Accuracy falls somewhere down the list.

With that said, it is more accurate than the vast majority of people who will shoot it. I can easily hit a body sized target at 100 yards and beyond with my Glock 19. Don't worry about pistol accuracy.

A full sized pistol is not the ideal carry piece. Especially in NV where you will be wearing hot weather clothing most months of the year. A compact (G19) or subcompact (G26) would make a better concealed carry handgun in my opinion.

Don't take this as too much criticism but Glocks don't take 'clips'. I have several 33 round magazines for my 9mm Glocks and they work fine. If you are planning to carry this gun, you should start training like you are going to fight. Don't use 33 round mags at the range and carry 17 rounders in your gun. It does make a difference.

On average Glocks are 92.7% fun.

I hope this helps.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I carried a Glock 17 concealed for 5 years. Several of those years were in college where discovery would have meant my expulsion from school. It can be done but it isn't ideal. I’d still advise you to get a compact or subcompact for daily carry.

4. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

Shackle, I,ve thought about the G19, but I've read some reports of maulfunctions and jamming with the 3rd gens, and to be honest I feel more comfortable with a full sized pistol with 17 shots.

Clean97GTI, About the Forty-Nine, How much can I expect to get one at a local gun shop here in vegas. Now that AWB is dead, are there 16 round mags out on the market and are they cheap? How is accuracy and the trigger pull. 11 pound trigger pull seems like a lot. Can you shoot +P with it?

Thanks.