Glass!!!ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Robb, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Glass is the one thing that has been my detailing dread, whatever i do i just cant get it streak free. Ive tred just about everything. My most recent technique is using nxt glass cleaner on an meguiars microfiber towel, clean the glass, then buff out w/ a clean mf towel. I thought this was working pretty well the last coujple times, but today i get in my car, cleaned my windows yesterday, and they are a streaky mess.

Ive tried most name brand glass cleaners w/ various mf towels. ive tried 20/20, stoners, a homebrew qew solution, the best luck i have had was w/ the nxt up until yesterday. i just dont know what my problem is. i spend a good amount of time buffing off the glass too, I use the good quality megs towels and am sure not to wash those towels w/ any other towels so that they wont pick up any other products. just dont knoiw what to do. thanks for any tips

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

When you clean window MF towels don't use any kind or washing softeners, make sure you rinse MF real good. Stoner's Invisible Glass works good as a glass cleaner. sometimes you have to use more then one MF on dirty glass. Have MF towels just for cleaning glass only and wash window MF's separately from other MF's. Clean glass in the shade if you clean in the sun you will always gets streaks.
    While cleaning the inside front windshield the dash more in likely has oils from your vinyl conditioner so try to avoid contact with the dash using MF. Also when applying vinyl conditioner don't spray it on your dash, spray in on a towel.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

i do all of the above, i even bought a 20 pack of ultimate wipes by meguiars and dedicated them to glass use. I have only washed them w/ tide liquid, 2 rinse cycles then dry w/ no dryer sheet, im very careful not to get any other chemical on them such as vinyl dressing.

4. firecracker

firecracker New Member

Use newspaper instead of microfiber towels or paper towels to clean the glass with

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Teh best combo I have used that actually works is NXT glass cleaner and a plush MF towel. I have used the ones that Wal mart sells for like $3.xx for a 2 pack. Absolutely streak free, even in direct sun.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Do you smoke? That leaves a very nasty film on the glass that takes 2-3 cleanings to remove.

7. Robb

Robb Guest

smoke free here

8. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I'm having the same problem here. Heck, I've had the problem since I got the car off the truck.

Basically, after I clean my window, it leaves some really bad streaks. Now that the winter has come and the heater has come in, at nights it really brings out the streaks when it starts to fog up a bit.

What exactly is the best way to go about cleaning these windows to eliminate all the streaks?

9. Scottwax

What n2_space said.

Newer cars are more prone to vinyl fog than older ones. Using real shiny protectants on your dash also causes a film on your glass.

10. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

i use invisible glass + costo Kirkland XXL t-shirts (same cost as all the other sizes, more fabric :big grin: ) cut into squares. never have had a single streak. my windows are tinted , and if they're dirty, its a mother to see out of.

11. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Toss the T shirts and get MF's... the closest a tshirt should get to your car is what you are wearing on your back.

12. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

If he saays it is working, than what is the problem?

13. lemans23

if anything, i think lint free 100% cotton is better, has been working for decades, mf towels aren't changing it :hsugh:

14. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

If you don't have tinted windows, try running over them with a razorblade. You'd be surprized how much crap can be missed by cleaners. Just make sure the glass is already clean with no debris, and you use a brand new blade. Watch the trim, stickers, etc., and obviously, don't do the rear window or any windows with imbedded antennas/defrosters. Might work. :dunno:

15. lemans23

^^ dunno about razor blade, but it is clear there is some underlying dirt that the cleaner is just moving about.

16. Scottwax

MF towels are far superior to 100% cotton. Just because something has been working for a long time, doesn't make it better. After using mfs, my cotton towels have mostly been regulated to interior duty.

17. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

I don't understand why people have hard time with streaks. I only have problems with hard to reach places on glass, such as a sports with headrests on the rear seats.

I usually just use a damp microfiber cloth and it works. :dunno:

18. lemans23

:shrug: i can get 50 "towels" for thr price of two mf towels. streak free, scratch free, swirl free and easy :)

19. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Please tell me you are not using those on paint too :hsugh:

20. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:werd:

21. lemans23

hell no, just on the glass :) i use poorboy's mf towels on the paint

22. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Thank God :o

23. Dorn

Dorn New Member

Ok, this might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways.

My buddy said a light amount of lighter fluid helps this out. Any truth to this?

24. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Naptha is used sometimes to strip Rain X, but that would be the only detailing use I would ever use it for. Just get a good glass cleaner (E/O 20/20, NXT, IG) and MF towels and you should be good to go. If it is streaking still then it is your technique you need to work on.

25. Scottwax

Where are you buying your MFs?

Oh yeah, let me know how well your cotton towels do after you wash them 200 times.

I used to use cotton/terry towels all the time on glass but I switched to mfs because they do a noticably superior job.