GUN Glad to see its not just dogs they shoot

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 18, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cat case handed over for review
    Commission will make final ruling

By Jeanne Millsap
    Herald Correspondent

CHANNAHON - The matter of the village police officer who shot a cat last August has been handed over to the Channahon Police and Fire Commission.

The announcement was made by Village President Joe Cook at the end of Monday's village board meeting and after a 55-minute closed session where Police Chief Steve Admonis briefed trustees on the issue.

The police department held an internal affairs investigation into the situation earlier this month, and the results of that investigation were handed over to Admonis last Tuesday.

Admonis could have chosen to give the officer no punishment or a maximum of up to five days suspension without pay. That Admonis recommended handing the matter over to the commissioners could indicate the charges may be more serious than he is legally able to handle.

Phone messages to Admonis from the press on the matter have gone unreturned.

It's not known exactly what charges will be filed against the officer in the commissioners' hearing, but Cook said village attorney David Silverman is working on drawing up the charges, and Cook said he would make the charges public possibly by Friday.

Silverman will serve as the prosecuting attorney for the village in the officer's hearing with the commission. The officer may have his own union attorney representing him.

The Police and Fire Commission consists of three members who are not affiliated with the police department, but are governed by the state of Illinois.

It can choose from a range of punishment for the offenses from no punishment to termination of the officer from the department.

The case revolves around the officer responding to a 911 call about a stray cat on Aug. 5. What resulted was the officer carrying the animal to his squad car with a rabies pole, taking it to a nearby field, shooting it with his service pistol, and leaving its body in the field.

A Channahon family, Dean and Cheryl Campbell, says the cat was their housecat, Jeffery, that had escaped that afternoon and it was not sick.

The Campbells want to know if the officer involved violated village statutes or state laws regarding shooting domestic animals that are non-threatening (the officer's report stated the cat was passed out in his car before he shot it), laws requiring officers to report firearm discharges immediately, laws on dealing with animals suspected of having rabies or other communicable diseases, and whether or not the officer tried to cover up any misdeeds.

It's not known when the Police and Fire Commission will hold its hearing or whether it will be open to the public or closed.

A PFC hearing held in February 2005 regarding a village officer who was up on charges of using excessive force during an arrest was an open one on the officer's request. Officer Ed Bischoff was found guilty at that hearing and was given a 30-day suspension without pay.

Can't say it bothers me

ibkittahcrew :greddy:

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:rofl: :rofl: He should have just thrown it in the river.

3. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

bull fucking shit.

Unless he was attacked by the animal, where does he get the right to shoot it ?

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I hate cats so I can't say that I give a shit. The family that owned it should be compensated, though.

5. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Guy shouldve atleast said he was sorry, and offered to replace cat.

Other than that, its just a dumb cat. If it was a dog, maybe it wouldve been worse.

6. soccaian

soccaian New Member

:wtf:

why in the hell would the cop shoot the damn cat?

its not like it can maul him

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Holy hell, I know the family that owned the cat and the police chief. I lived in Minooka which is like 3 miles from Channahon. Wonder who the idiot was?

Anyways, even if you don't like cats, inhumane treatment of animals is on my top 5 list. When a cop does it, it demonstrates someone willing to use his weapon without regards to the consequences or life.

He also discharged his sidearm unnecessarily. Hope they yank his badge for this and the family sues. Since they have no Animal Control, the police does double duty but they are supposed to capture and transport to the vet who then takes the animal to hold or has the Animal Control from the neighboring county come and get it. Imagine if it was your dog that got loose and they just shot it in a field.

Apparently it was 2 officers involved, not just one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

jesus christ. That's a serial killer in the making right there.

9. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

ROFL, I live in Channahon.