GUN GIVE ME guidelines and advice on buying parts to build my AR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Oct 18, 2006.

1. give me ur 2 cents first then if u want i have some questions... thanks:hsd:

what brand lower receiver should i be looking for ?

upper receiver ? want CAR A4, without the handle.. brand??

suggest a good brand for a rail to replace the cone piece before the barrel..

is it better or worse to have a part with matte ??

what should i check out in terms of setups , mods, advancements etc...

2. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I'm in the middle of my build. I recommend rainierarms.com
    They delivered my Mega lower reciever with parts kit installed very quickly. They also sell sun devil billet lowers and now a new billet lower made by POF i think it is. I wanted the sun devil originally but they were sold out.

3. can u find your own lower online and have them send it to your nearest ffl ?

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes your FFL will need to fax a copy of his ffl to online dealer and you'll have to pay transfer fee which if they want more then $25 find another local ffl to do it.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

What state are you in?

Most receivers are built by the same 3-4 manufacturers and most are the same freaking thing. The main difference you will see is the type and quality of finish. So I would just suggest picking out the logo that you like :o Theres a few companies that you might want to avoid because of the general negative feedback I read online, I believe the company is Vulcan (sp).

As for the upper, you probably just should pick up a complete upper, so all you have to do is bolt it in. If you want to bu custom pieces, I am not too familiar with that. But I would just aim for a Rock River or Stag Arms. You cant lose with either. I bought all 4 of my Stag completed uppers from JKiser over at ar15.com. He is a GREAT person to deal with.

As for forearms, it depends what you need. They go from ~$100-$400, and probably more. YHM would be on the lower end of that price range, and something like Daniel Defense would be on the higher end of that range.

Matte is just a finish, its up to you. Personally I dont want a shiney rifle.

Check out ar15.com for a huge variety of builds.

6. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Ive been looking around for a few months now for a good brand of handguards to replace the ones that came on my Stag 2H upper from JKiser (Which I think is great btw)
    I think if I ever choose to replace my handguards I will go with Midwest Idustry. From what Ive heard and seen they are a great company.
    Some of their handguards come in 2 pieces and just bolt right on without having to remove anything.

Oh, and make sure you get a Hogue pistol grip to replace the original. Best $20 Ive spent on my AR
    Feels great in my hand

7. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

+1 for dealing with Rainier Arms...great guys to deal with and the products and service i received from them were top notch all around.

Id recommend any quality lower receiver such as a Mega or Stag. If you want something a little different, there is a company in FL called Spikes Tactical that sells stripped lowers with your choice of about 6 laser engraved logos on the right side under the magazine well. I got one with the "punisher" logo and it looks really sweet. The spikes lowers are made by LAR manufacturing.
    http://spikestactical.com

as for uppers, i originally wanted an LMT, but at the last minute i found a complete stag upper w/ bolt carrier assembly @ Rainier Arms for 495 shipped.
    I havent shot it yet but from just looking at it, its some of the best quality parts ive seen on any AR.

happy hunting and enjoy your build!

8. Crossett

Crossett New Member

9. sebeck

sebeck New Member

I bet thats the exact same upper i'm ordering from them! It comes with BUIS correct?