Girlfriend spilled a little water into her Dell laptop through the keyboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sammo, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Not sure how much, but it sounds like "just a little".

Does anyone have any advice? I am pretty sure I have screwdriver that would fit the job. I know this would likely void the warranty and I am also worried about breaking the laptop by opening it.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

By the way, she turned it off when it happened (4 hours ago or so) and hasn't turned it on since.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i would let it dry out over a couple of days, at least overnight

you could attempt to remove the keyboard and inspect for damage, but it sounds like you'd rather not do that

4. Doneranator

Doneranator New Member

Just let it sit for a while and remove the battery to make sure no power is running through it. If id did not mess up initially, then letting it dry out for a few days you should be ok.

5. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

Your lucky it was just water. Like the guys above said, just let it dry for a day or so, and cross your fingers.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Most dell laptop keyboards are really easy to take off, there's a plastic cover that runs the length of the keyboard up top between the top of the keyboard and the 2 hinges for the screen. There should be a flathead screwdriver hole on both ends. CAREFULLY pry it up, all the way across. Once it's off, you'll see a pair of screws under it. Undo them and the keyboard lifts up from the back. There are still 2 little tabs under the front end of the keyboard down by the touchpad. Under that, there should be a single ribbon cable that connects from the back of the keyboard to the chassis of the laptop. It should pop right out.
    Take it out and let it dry, a day minimum. It will help to point a fan at it for a while, just don't use heat.

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

For some reason I just really want to say to dry it in a microwave.

I feel better now.

8. TomBrady

TomBrady New Member

wow dude..
    i have a wireless keybaord and wired before..ive spilled coke, milk water ice cream, soup, food , chips, spit, tea, coffee..basicaly everysingle thing imaginable..it still works fine lol..i just ripped the space bar to make itunsticky, air in a can , and alcohol wipes..