Girlfriend gaining weight

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by DC9, Apr 19, 2010.

1. DC9

DC9 New Member

My GF is starting to put on a little weight. Nothing too bad, but enough where her clothes are getting tighter and she has a noticeable gut. She sees this and is really upset about it, sometimes will cry when her favorite clothes don't look good on her, etc. She wants to diet but always fails at it. She'll be good for a few days then break it. She is really upset about the weight and really wants to lose it, but cannot keep with the diet. I can't be with her all the time too so I can't help her out too much. Any suggestions on what I can do to help?

2. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Diets don't work. Its almost guaranteed that you will put on more weight after you crash diet.

Do you eat well? Set the example for her.

I've found to be truly successful at losing weight and keeping it off you need to make a lifestyle change to eat better and exercise, not just crash diet for a couple weeks.

#1 for me.... don't buy nasty crap at the store and have it at home. If its there, I will eat it. If its not, I don't have anything to tempt me.

3. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

It's spring now, and summer soon. Get her into an outdoor activity/sport that'll keep her active.

Though she obviously doesn't want to lose weight all that much, otherwise she wouldn't fall off the wagon after a few days.

4. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

diets don't work. just start eating better like Zee says. Its not hard to be fit you just need to be motivated. people think its hard to get in shape or keep weight off.

5. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

This, diets do not work. If she wants a good program that will help her keep on track, I loved Weight Watchers. You can eat what you want, you just have to balance things out and keep within your points. Super easy to do and it's not about dieting, it's about staying healthy.

6. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

This is always an option:
    [​IMG]

7. DC9

DC9 New Member

I don't set a good example. I should start doing that. I work out regularly, hoping it would rub off on her, but it doesn't. She went on a diet in the past and lost 20lbs, but gained it all back. She is extremely stressed out now, always busy and tired, and we live on a college campus so our main source of food is the cafeteria. I'll try to change her lifestyle.

8. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Good luck with that.

The only way someone will change the way they approach food as a whole is if THEY want to. No amount of preaching/teaching/encouraging/etc will help, if it did there wouldn't be as many obese people waddling around.

If you can get her to realize why she wants to make the changes for herself, then you stand a chance here.

9. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

why do you fat lazy weirdos keep on saying diets don't work?

Diets work great. You are not doing weak willed quiters any favors by saying "diets don't work"

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

eat fewer calories and be more active if you want to lose weight.

Find out how many calories are actually in the things you eat and find out how to make sensible choices. I used to eat raisin bran. That stuff has more sugar then frosted flakes, captain crunch, lucky charms... I mean lucky charms has freakin marshmellows.

If you want to lose weight, eat fewer calories and exercise more. Consult scale and tape measure once a week, or every two weeks. If moving in the desired direction, keep at it. If not less calories and/or more exercise.

I'm on a diet. 6 pounds down, 10 more to go. DIETS DON'T WOOOORRRK!!! :run:

btw, make sure she KNOWS that if she doesn't actually make any lasting changes, shes not going to stay chubby, shes going to get fat.

10. DC9

DC9 New Member

She obviously realizes that she needs to change. She doesn't want this weight and wants to lose it, but says she doesn't have the motivation like she did in the past. Maybe it's because she's with me now and isn't trying to look good for other guys, or just doesn't feel like doing the work, I don't know.

11. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

Seriously look into weight watchers, it is a set plan instead just "eat better" and if she does the in person thing, she has to go in weekly and get weighed, so for me it was wanting to do well and be able to go in and show that I've lost weight. Plus everyone cheers when you do. :mamoru::bowdown:

12. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Diets work for the short term, yes.

However, most people that crash diet, lose the weight and then go back to eating like shit 95% of the time and gain it back.

Sure this is not the case all the time, but making a change for long term is a much better way to be successful and keep that weight off.

13. DC9

DC9 New Member

Does that cost much? She's graduating college in a few weeks, has no job yet and has 60k in loans, so she can't really start any expensive programs.

14. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Dude you obviously have your diet and health in check, just like everyone in F&N who knows how food works and can bulk or cut depending on what they want... But for the average fat ass that thinks a french fry is a vegetable diets don't work.

Sure if they starve themselves for 2 months and drop 20 lbs they'll have achieved results, but as soon as they get off the diet and go back to eating whatever the fuck they want because they don't understand how calories work they'll put that 20lbs back on before the end of the year...

When the average fat ass diets they don't learn a damn thing, they just essentially starve themselves without learning about calorie deficiencies etc.

You are right, it soooo isn't rocket science, but when the majority of people on our continent are over weight there is obviously a disconnect somewhere.

15. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

Right, but in order to actually lose weight at a rate that will not depress the hell out of anyone sane, you need to diet. Sustainable long term changes are not going to get the results you are looking for.

Look, there is what you should be eating to remain healthy and keep your body weight stable. You need to eat a LOT less then that healthy ammount to lose weight. going 500 calories under every day from your stable healthy long term diet will result in you losing 1 pound a week.

Thats not negligible. Long term healthy lifestyle choices are absolutely necessary to maintain weight, and a dedicated period of dieting is absolutely necessary to make any meaningful weight loss.

They are equally important parts of the puzzle. Getting to a healthy sustainable eating/activity lifestyle is great and it will stop the problem, but long term sustainable living is not going to make the clothes shes already gotten to fat for fit again.

16. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I think it's like 10$ a week? Maybe less, sometimes they have intro deals too, there is an online program too, but I'm not sure how much that is.

You can also go google for the info too, or have her look at it and see if it's something she is interested in doing. I love it because I don't have to cut out everything, you just eat healthier so you can have an ice cream later on or w/e. But, I never went hungry like I often did on other diets, which is good too.

I have all the books and stuff from it, and if she's interested I can pm you some of the info I have if you couldn't find it via google.

And I dunno all about what antihero is saying about you can only cut to lose weight, I was losing like around 2 lbs a week on this. :dunno:

17. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

Weight watchers works. It follows the very simple principle that if you want to control your weight, you control your calorie intake. It is nice because its no gimmicks. If you want to eat food with a lot of calories, fine. You just have to have less of it, or cut out other food to make up for it. Again, simple, no gimmicks.

uhh.. what? I never said that. and what are you trying to say I said? cut = cut down your calorie intake, which is what you did. :dunno:
    edit: and i very specifically didn't use any terminology. I never even said "cut". So uhh.. yeah...

eat 500 less than you use every day to lose a pound a week, eat 1000 less than you use every day to lose 2 pounds a week. I was just giving an example.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  18. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

You can try out these suggestions and see what happens, however I've found that people only do what they want to do, so if it's a huge deal to you make sure you find girls who make it a high priority to be skinny/in shape. :)

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Although a low rate of weightloss is kind of depressing most "normal" people who diet tend to cheat or get off the wagon pretty fast.

Basically, diet has a temporary change doesn't work for most people. I know it works on paper but most studies show that people screw the results mostly because they see it as temporary. A lot of people could lose plenty of weight just by making better choices. There's no point in dieting if the person's vegetable intake is composed of fries.

20. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

BD: are you talking about my comment that you need to diet to lose weight and that its different from long term sustainable changes?

You think once you are exactly the weight that you want to be, you will still have to count points every day? This isn't sarcastic, im serious. My guess would be that once you lose the weight you will be able to relax and not count anymore and just use your own intuition and newfound knowledge about the impact of what you are eating to eat sensibly without putting in as much effort and self control as is necesary for your current weight loss.

Or to put it another way, once you are done losing the weight and just want to maintain where you are, you could eat however much you are eating now and THREE 6 inch subway turkey subs every day and still not gain any weight. So you don't have to be as strict about maintaining weight since you have so much wiggle room vs how much it takes to actually lose weight. again, notice its a smart choice though. One large mcdonalds fries has as many calories as a footlong turkey sub... and nobody goes to mcdonalds and orders just fries.

21. Reign

Reign Banned

No, I'm pretty sure diets do work. It's not hard to do them, just have a little will power. It seems no one has that these days. Eat slightly less at each meal, drink more water, cut out soda, chips and candy.

You won't even have to eat at that much of a caloric defict to do so. And you can have a "cheat day/meal" 1 day a week. If you want to really get into it you can manage your macro nutrients to get faster results.

The thing is you just cannot eat what you want all the time. CHips, cookies, soda, all the shit that makes America fat. Eat right and after a short while, you actually enjoy it more. Eat lean meats (chicken breats, fish, lean cuts of beef), green vegitables, fruits, whole grain cereals and breads... I can't stand eating fast food anymore... it makes me sick. Not to mention with the way I eat I rarely have gas anymore.

Throw in a little running or something and that weight will fly off.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  22. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I didn't say that long term sustainable change was not just as important.

Look here is my point as simply as I can say it.

Losing weight is HARD. You have to be prepared to work hard at it. it takes dedication.

Eating sanely so you don't gain weight is not hard. Make sensible choices, don't overeat all the time and its easy to not get fat, yet never be hungry, and be able to enjoy eating almost all the time.

Saying that they are the same thing is just not helping anyone, in my opinion.

back in a few. off to get a turkey burger and baked potato.

23. DC9

DC9 New Member

Right now I don't think it's bad, she thinks its very bad, but isn't doing anything to fix it. I'm worried that she is going to gain more weight and I won't be physically attracted to her anymore. I'm all about fitness so fat rolls, etc will be a turn off for me.

24. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

You could suggest she try ephedrine for the appetite suppressant quality, might help with her having low willpower.

25. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Coaching normal people to lose weight sucks. It's one of the reasons why I didn't go into this field. The results could be easily achieved but they often are not.
    I'm just being realistic instead of optimistic.