Girl spent a bundle on a gift for me...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by nerd9, Jul 31, 2007.

1. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

This was the first time a gift situation has come up between my new girlfriend and I. She purchased something very expensive for my birthday (which was just yesterday).

Is it expected that I reciprocate now? Natural instincts tell me that as the man, I need to one-up her each time. I never wanted to get into a pseudo-gift war like this but she drew first blood. Does anyone have any advice for me?

:hs:

2. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

one thing i noticed during my 2 year relationship

my gf bought me some expensive shit. I bought her concert tickets in the front row that were 800 bucks with my tax refund.

by far the gift she loved and cherished the most... a compolation of pictures I took of us in a frame I built and decorated.

my experience, dunno about your girl, hope that helps

3. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

The no-brainer is to hop into Tiffany's and drop a grand on a diamond necklace for her but there's something unsatisfying about that...

:hsd:

4. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

she mentioned that she loved a certain time period in american history, so i have already purchased a beautiful painting representing that era for her. it didnt cost me anything close to what her gift to me cost, but do you think this will suffice?

5. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Do what you can, when you can..be it a series of small things, or one big one. Give freely, without concern of if it will be too much or too little. It will be just right, bc you put thought into it. If she doesn't appreciate what you do give her....reconsider her motives for giving you pricey gifts.

6. sassy2424

sassy2424 New Member

the best gift I received was a photo album he made of pictures of us.
    the fact that he took the time to make it and print off all the pictures was a million times more romantic than him going to buy something that would of been out of his price range.

7. lauren

lauren Active Member

typically, it's polite to put out when one is adorned with expensive gifts. :mamoru:

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

:werd:

9. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

No, you shouldn't have to one her up everytime...Furthermore, it was your birthday...Isn't she supposed to get you a gift? Here are two questions I have. How old are you? and How long have you two been dating? I skimmed the thread and didn't see that. I feel that you should wait for the next occasion that warrants a gift and then go nuts. But don't start a "gift war" as you called it. Relationships aren't about that.

10. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

i just turned 20 and we have been dating on and off for the past year, but have been together "officially" for about a month now.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well first of all, I would NEVER expect a nice gift from my bf if I had just bought him a nice birthday gift. The hard thing for me is I have no money, I can barely afford rent. My bf on the other hand has a great, well-paying job. He has bought me really nice, expensive gifts and it doesnt excite me at all, just makes me feel bad because I cant afford anything that great and I secretly think he wishes I could.

12. Ricky_Blanks

Ricky_Blanks New Member

I am sure that isn't true.

13. demosnat

demosnat New Member

I know what you mean. Getting gifts in general sort of makes me feel akward. I never know what to say. They are usually generic 'girls like this sort of shit' gifts, and i'm always thinking 'thanks, but you clearly bought this because you felt you had to.' I hate people doing things for me out of a sense of obligation :hs:

That said, a well thought out gift is so fucking touching. My best friend just got me a really pretty antique tea set, it cost her nothing, it didn't get sold at an estate sale, but she knows i have a thing for tea and she saw it, thought i would like it, and got it for me.

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:mamoru: I beg to differ. He bought me beautiful earrings for our anniversary. Me, not thinking we were grtting eachother gifts just made a card... When he saw I didnt get him anything he looked so sad (probably because he had just wasted a few hundred on me). The next week I felt so bad I went and bought him a nice gift and he seemed ecstatic.

15. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

be pleased by the gift, be very pleased by the love behind it, but don't act like you don't deserve something this nice

16. Durka Durka

Durka Durka Guest

give her a blowjob