A&P gimme some tips for shooting a night v.newSLR

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, May 2, 2006.

1. I'm taking pics of my friend Lyndz tomorrow night.

Soo far all I know is that I should be shooting in apeture mode, and I'm going to probably have the iso around 800+

I want to try painting with light on her body, and maybe her face. I have a 6 in 1 reflector so I can maybe bounce some light onto her and maybe use the soft diffuser and a light. :dunno:

I might take her out around town and take some night shots also depending on if we're up to it and what the weather is like. :x:

Tips and/or suggestions welcome :bigthumb:

2. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

just keep your shutter speeds high and maybe use spot metering if the light is tricky

3. That's the new feature for the 30d and I don't even know how to use it :uh: :noes:

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the new feature on the 30d is spot metering? WTF?

5. never knew that?

6. mojito

mojito New Member

a reflector requires light to reflect. what are you using as a key light :dunno:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

she'll move and blur it

8. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

use a flash

9. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

i was wondering the same. :dunno:

but use flash and tripod if needed.

10. oh, my studio lighting consists of 2 shop lights. And 2 of those super bright as fuck flashlights used for hunting. Well actually 1 flash light, I think I lost one somewhere while having a paintball war in the woods. I will probably get a less powerful light though because I'm sure what I have will brighten up the room too much and not allow me to get what I'm looking for. I'll probably try out the lighting on a pillow or some object in my room, but that will not be very acurate because unlike an inanimate object a person breathes/moves. :hs: :dunno:

11. mojito

mojito New Member

what are you thinking it will look like?

home depot lights can work well, though you really need to diffuse them

12. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

How are you going to power your shop lights on location around town?

13. My 6 in 1 reflector comes with 2 diffusers. I was thinking about somehow hanging them infront of the light without touching the light because that thing gets hot as hell. Also I was wondering if putting a reflector behind a diffuser and pointing a light at it to bounce it would work. :dunno:

14. I have a power inverter and extension cords. I wasn't really planning on using the lighting for outdoors but now that you mention it it's probably not a bad idea but it will be alot to setup. I was probably just going to do some shots indoors at her house or something using the lights and diffusers and stuff.

now that I think about it one of the shop lights will probably pop a fuse in my trick if I used the power inverter. Maybe not but those things take alot of power and get really hot. That's why I have flashlights also. They're just as bright if not brighter than the shop lights, the flashlight just has a more controled beam of light than the shoplight.

15. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

If you use your lights outdoors I definately like to check out the results. I definately want to try some more on-location shoots with strobes. I just need some tight locations with some hot models :)

16. mojito

mojito New Member

17. mojito

mojito New Member

it can work, just be prepared for high iso or having her get in a position where she won't move

18. I'm sure you saw that alienbees portable battery packs. Those look pretty sweet. When I get more bills paid off I really am interested in lighting like yours and those portable batteries.

19. Yea that's the same shoplight I have. Only $20 ftw :o

Is that a bedsheet used as a diffuser or something else? Now that I see the amount of light on the bedsheet I know my little reflector diffuser will not be large enough to eliminate all the excess lighting that the shoplight will produce. I should probably just stick with the flashlight + diffuser.

20. if all else fails I can just take a 5 second exposure of a location using only the light from the moon or city lights and another shot with a shorter exposure with her in it and merge the layers in photoshop. :hs: But that's cheating and too much work :/

21. mojito

mojito New Member

its a calumet diffusion panel, basically a nylon sheet designed for that foldable pvc frame.

how far you put the lights from the panel makes a difference on light output. farther away the more even and diffused it gets, closer it is the more specular the light is and with more contrast

22. mojito

mojito New Member

I used a flash to take a pic on that setup btw, so it doesn't fill the room as even as it looks

23. I already can't wait till tomorrow night :coold:

24. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

I already own the Vagabond 300. I just have to put it to use. :(