MMA Gil Melendez is kinda douchey (interview)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

FiveKnuckles.com: How does it feel to be on the first MMA card in history to feature a woman's main event?

Gilbert Melendez: It's a little ridiculous him pulling out again. It's ridicluous for the fans that wanted to see this rematch but at least I get to fight the only other guy who's beaten me and try to avenge that loss. The way it worked out is just a little bit weird. I heard word of Thomson possibly not being 100 percent but didn't know if he was playing possum or what. To tell you the truth, the last time I fought Josh I wasn't a 100 percent. I had some problems as well and really nobody is 100 percent going into a fight. If you are, your not training hard enough. I think it's slightly bad business the way he's doing this. It's bad for the organization and unprofessional towards me. I feel if he had known three weeks before he should have been like, 'I'm just going to fight, screw it' or at least pull out completely. Not make me focus on him less than two weeks to the fight. I've never pulled out of a fight with that short of notice and wouldn't. I heard he went to a doctor and the doctor wouldn't clear him. I mean he's had this injury and he's been training on it hard but who goes to a doctor before the fight? If I train hard and I wanna fight, I don't go to a doctor to see if I get cleared. Apparently, he's been cleared forever to fight and train. It's been a go for the last 8 weeks, why go see a doctor two weeks before the fight? I'm really glad though because I don't have to talk shit about it. Everyone else around me is saying enough that I really don't have to say much.

apparently, it's "bad business" to look out for your own well-being :ugh:

entire interview here: http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/FiveKnucklescom-Exclusive-Interview-Gilbert-Melendez.html

2. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Eh, i understand where he's coming from.

Especially with this.

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

the way i read it, Thomson was cleared 2 months before, wasn't cleared 3 weeks before, pulled out a week after that, and now Melendez is bitching, saying that he shouldn't even have gone to the doctor the second time. is that right?

4. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Who knows what "he had known three weeks before" means i guess. Also what's the injury? It doesn't sound like anything really serious that he got during training, but more of a recurring injury that he's had, and known about for a while. In which case, it is dumb that a doctor has already cleared him to fight and then 2 weeks before the fight he goes to go see a doctor himself and probably tells him 'it hurts so bad' or 'i cant even train'; of course the doctor won't let him fight

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i think that his leg wasn't completely healed

seems like Gil's kinda insinuating that Thomson's ducking him or something

6. kenmei

kenmei squatty potty OT Supporter

Melendez is a little cocky...

that being said, I wish Thompson would have fought and knocked him out

7. kenmei

kenmei squatty potty OT Supporter

I had a hunch not to get tickets to this event :o then the card got stacked and i was hating life

now it's crap again :mamoru2:

JT was still in a cast when i met him at the Slamcock vs. Diaz card

8. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

thats alright, Ishida is going to smash his face in

9. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

The way i see it, he knew had an injury, he decided at one point that it wasn't that bad and that he could still fight with it; but then 2 weeks before the fight he changed his mind and no longer wanted to fight.

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

so he didn't re-injure it, oh let's say, during training, but it was rather injured the entire time and he just decided to pull out on a whim?

11. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

I didn't hear anything about him re-injuring himself did you? If he knew he was injured he should've been smarter about it during training, or if it was really that serious he should've been smart enough to know that he couldn't train with that injury.

Obviously we don't know all the facts, but just from reading the comment from that interview i dont think Melendez deserves ugh faces

12. Sammo

Sammo New Member

13. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

pulling out before the fight is much better than losing and then blaming an injury but i guess melendez doesn't agree

14. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i remember reading that he got reinjured training and realized that he hadn't healed as much as he had thought

15. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

he seems douchey because he's become bitter towards the MMA world. He was pissed that he lost his "-0" to ishida the first time because all he did was hold him down, and since then his career has stalled because of strikeforces weak lightweight division. he was unhappy about having to fight his training partner, and just as unhappy about having to rematch him.

16. Sammo

Sammo New Member

:bowdown: truth

he was ranked really high on the P4P lists for a long time which was kind of dumb, now he's just another guy

I'd rather see him fight in the UFC