Gigabyte 7600GS AGP card...any news?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 13, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I was digging around, trying to find a newer heatpiped video card for my computer -- the 6600GT that I thought I'd purchased ended up being nonexistent, as I discovered when the purchase was refunded with no warning or explanation -- and I ran across this:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2334

It looks pretty, it's newer than the 6600 I was trying to get my hands on, and assuming Gigabyte isn't cheaping out, it doesn't even need a heatpipe -- a regular heatsink will do. Only problem is, I can't find it anywhere west of China.

Has anybody heard anything about this card, and when it might come Stateside?

2. PFC Lowell

PFC Lowell Velox et Mortifer

3. deusexaethera

Yeah, I've seen those Zalman heatpipes before. The one huge problem with them is they turn any card into a two-slot job; I like micro-ATX motherboards for several reasons, but its lack of extra space is not one of them.

Frankly, I don't know why Zalman made the front-side heatsink so big that it had to be elevated off the surface of the video card like that; the front-side is supposed to stay hot, so it can boil the water inside the heatpipe. That heatpipe kit should have a huge backside heatsink, like it does, and a small front-side heatsink, which it doesn't have. Maybe they were trying to avoid the cost of having two heatpipes.

4. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Imtoodumbtothinkofone New Member

On a thing similar to this, i basically know fuck all about video cards, but, in general, is the higher the number the better/more powerful the card?

eg 7300 > 6600?

Or is there alot more to it than that

Any good links to articles that anyone knows of that may explain it all?

5. deusexaethera

It's all marketing strategy. ATI started numbering their cards at 9000 or so, and the hundreds digit indicated the chipset version. So 9600 was a newer chipset than 9200, and 9250 was a refined version of 9200, and so on. When they ran out of room in the 9000 range, they started using the roman "X" to mean "10"000 without having to actually use five digits -- not to mention using "X" in a product name makes it instantly 50% better than non-"X" products.

I think for the newer nVidia cards, the thousands digit indicates the chipset version, and the hundreds digit indicates the power of the card compared to other cards with the same chipset. So 7000 is a newer chipset than 6800, and 7600 is the same chipset as the 7300, but with more RAM or a faster clock or whatever.