MMA gi takedown series

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Jun 10, 2008.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

this thread is for those of you who have extensive judo or for those who were able to figure out how to wrestle from neutral with the gi.

Being a short and somewhat stocky guy, I feel that the following game plan suits me best:

I fight for an inside collar grip with my left hand and either get a collar tie with my right or wrist/bicep. From there it depends on how they grip with their right hand.

If they grip over my arm or across my neck (somewhat rare but happens), then I circle to the right and snap their head down hard with my right arm and either take the front headlock or go for a high crotch if they step to me.

If they don't step then I do the head snap and go for an outside single on my right.

Lately though, one of my training partners is so used to this he is able to disengage by ripping my grip off and pushing away over and over.

I feel that if I get better at other series of gi takedowns from different grips then Id be much better off.

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

our instructor just started doing takedowns with the GI using judo techniques a few weeks ago. It feels very awkward but he's teaching new ones every class and has us sparring just standup and it's helping. Since i'm a little bit taller my best success has come from just doing the collar grip on the left and holding the gi sleeve with the right. From there i just shoot my hips in and just hip toss. But we are all pretty much inexperienced and you can kinda get it easily.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I feel like its super difficult to get throws like that on the guys I roll with most frequently, mostly because of the stance they have when standing. They stand with their hips REAL far back and lean over a lot to avoid getting thrown and leg attacks, which make them more vulnerable to front headlocks. But I do feel that there are other things I should work on, like trips, a gi lateral drop, and a series of throws.

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

In tournaments though, most opponents have just pulled guard in the first 10 seconds =/.

Ugh... I think i have food poisoning...

5. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

too many chechens out there who just pull guard

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

but chechen has a really good top game :hs:

7. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I can't tell I'm helpless everywhere

8. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

another one that has worked for me where the person is hunched over is grabing hold of a sleeve, pulling it over and then getting it over your elbow and following the elbow with your head and going for the leg, kinda like a single. Still hold for the sleeve, trap his leg with yours and sit down on your shoulder. But it's just a matter of grip, if you can get it or not. Thats another thing thats frustrating is you gotta have the right grip to do any kinda takedown with the gi, so for 3 minutes i'm just fucking with the grip before i go for anything :hsugh:

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I was told by the judo teacher at my school (haven't been going to this class much), that its really just grip and go. But yeah I also waste a lot of time fighting for grips when I probably could have scored points earlier.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

with throws its all about the off balancing. a lot of the bjj guys try to power through the throw and thats retarded. Ideally you want to ideally do very little and get a big bomb fro m it. When people crouch down like that try to fight for a grip. If you can get the colars it will set you up for a good tomonage to arm bar transition.

When you get your grip on squaters with the gi you can control them better and you have some options. Getting a grip is your first step. Usually I go like this with squaters I go for a colar and based on how they react you react.

I usualy get the colar and then they will try to break my grip and abandon the squat or try to pull guard hard. You can control them with your arm by pushing and pulling you have to try and control their balance from what ever grip you can get. If you have one colar you have some options

work a tomo nage
    try to get a better grip
    or work a seionage
    set up for a leg sweep
    or set up for a body drop

http://www.bestjudo.com/brgrips.shtml

check out that book it will help you alot. Good grips and foot work are the most essential parts of judo. If you can get your grips and can explode through the foot work required for each throw you will do good.

The judo grips are very similar to the greco grips except your doing them with a gi over and unders double under hooks etc you get the same effect with different grips. The most important part of judo is the off balancing and the grips are the key to the off balancing.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah you have to see what you can work with. If some ones defending your grip a lot then use the grip to advance position into a better or different grip and then use that to perform a technique.

Like how BJJ guys stress lock flows judo guys have throw flows. for example I might intentionaly fail a hip throw to set them up for a inside leg sweep

12. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: