"Ghosting" a HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MorbidBlessing, Feb 18, 2006.

1. MorbidBlessing

MorbidBlessing thread killer

I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop a few years ago, and then I upgraded to a new one last year. The old one doesn't boot anymore, and the screen's blown out on it anyway.

I tried to take the HD out of that one, and put it in my new one to transfer my files to an external USB HD, but it won't boot with the old hard drive in. It says "remove any new hard drives and restart your system."

How can I get my files off of it?
    I'm assuming I can change something in the BIOS to allow it to boot with the wrong drive, but I don't know where to start.

Any ideas?

2. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Go buy a $3 Mini ATA connector and plug it into a full sized PC. Alternately you can buy an external 2.5" HDD case and make it into an ultra portable USB external HD.

3. MorbidBlessing

Thank you! I didn't know these existed. I'll look into the 2.5" case as that would be more efficient than just getting my files, and not using the HD.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've only been able to get the usb connection in ghost working a handful of times. it usually always freezes during the boot.

if you don't want to buy the connector or an external drive, you could send your files through a crossover ethernet cable with the tcp/ip settings in ghost

5. MorbidBlessing

I wouldn't really be needing to ghost it if I can just access the files normally.
    I'll just copy over the files I need, and format the drive to use the whole thing.