Gforce 5800 or ATI 9800 pro.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

Lets settle this now for those who haven't already bought one of these two cards yet.

Apparently there's no getting around the superior performance of ATI's cards even with the fx series barely able to call themselves even to ATI.

this debate seems to be moot point, but that's not the concern I have. I remember something like this happening from vodoo. I bought this $500 brand new card called vodoo5 and shortly after they went out of business. I don't like spending $500 every year for a new card. Every three years would be okay, but I was left high and dry for some time as games started to stray from 3dfxglide and vodooo card support. I'm guessing (guessing) they bankrupted themselves trying to compete with nvidia. Will nvidia do the same here with ATI or will ATI go down this road? You'd think the cold war would teach us something here. :-\

Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  2. MP

MP New Member

Do a search in this forum. Been asked many times

3. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

Ask John Titor, he'll know.

4. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

First of all the main problem with 3dfx is that they had their own technology with glide that died with them. Both ATI and Nvidia conform to Direct X which is developed by Microsoft. So if either company happens to go bankrupt within the next few years (highly unlikely) their cards where made to perform w/Direct X and will be supported as long as Direct X is still in service.

Now between the 9800pro and the 5900 ultra it is a moot point. Both cards are plenty fast to run the current games and games coming out. The 9800pro is supposedly more future proof as it has very good pixel shader 2 support which is a staple in direct x 9 games. But both cards will last a few years. Neither company will most likely bankrupt each other. Ati has a huge share of the oem market which is probably far more profitable than the enthusiast market. And Nvidia has its partnership with Microsoft(Xbox, and what not). Plan on both companies being around for a while.

5. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

ATi ain't going anywhere, they have better GFX cards, contract with Microsoft for the next Xbox and contract with Nintendo for the gamecube and future systems.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

ati for sure.

7. Azn_Bok_Choy

Azn_Bok_Choy Guest

i read on articles a few weeks before, that GForce 5800 was just a bit better than Radeon 9800

8. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

9800 Pro r0xx0rs my b0xx0rs.