SRS GF wants me to get rid of all female friends

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrflicharger, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mrflicharger

mrflicharger Put your lips on it

I have two female friends that I have known for many years. They have been there for me for all these years, they have been completely plutonic. She feels I should not have female friends. I could care less if she had a male friend.

What do you guys think?

2. kiri

kiri New Member

she is being psycho. no one can tell you who you can and can't be friends with. tell her to stop being jealous and insecure.

3. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

4. Battle Angel

Battle Angel New Member

if my bf told me i could not have any male friends i would dump him.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Dump her insecure ass. Never let anyone who supposedly loves and cares about you tell you you can't have friends just because they are of the opposite sex.

6. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT turn your back on your friends for your girlfriend.

I made this mistake and it cost me pretty dearly.

7. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Never let anyone tell you how to live your life...suggestions and advice are fine, but demands? No.

I would normally say "dump her", but I'm going to recommend you just be clear with her that you are not going to give up lifelong friends because she can't handle it.

Then, if she throws a fit or gets all upset, she can end the relationship.

Show her that you're not gonna put up with shit like that, and let her decide how she wants to proceed.

My guess is that you will end up apart soon enough anyways, but hey, at least give her a chance to learn.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Dump her. I'm a guy (26) and one of my best friends in the world is a woman who is 38. If a girlfriend told me I couldn't be friends with her anymore, it's bye bye girlfriend.

9. mrflicharger

The thing is I plan on marrying this girl. It really bugs me but I love her. She also told me I couldn't model with women anymore. That I really have a hard time with....but I told her she is being a bit unnreasonable with it.

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Well, because you said this:

There is definitely an incompatibility between what you both think is acceptable in a relationship. This will most likely cause problems that will lead to a breakup.

Are you sure you wouldn't be concerned if she had a male friend who she was flirting with?

She probably thinks you are flirting with this chick...

...because she is probably flirting with/messing around with some guy on the side and now that she has realized how easy it is to get away with it, she is probably afraid that you are doing the same thing.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

On the other hand, if you don't want your gf to have any male friends, then she would be justified in not wanting you to have female friends. But since you said you could care less, you therefore think it's ok to have friends of the opposite sex and it's probably going to become an issue.

12. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

bad bad bad bad idea unless her attitude/behavior changes and stays consistent with that change for a significant period of time.

The basic root of this is insecurity...and it will come up in other ways unless she works on eliminating it.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

Good luck then on that nightmare of a suffocating, insecure relationship then :dunno:

Stand up for yourself, unless you like having no balls in your relationship...

14. io

io New Member

what I want to know is, why are you treating your friends like igneous rocks ??

groan

15. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Sorry she isnt marriage material, this request is only the beginning trust me its going to get worse soon you won't be allowed out with guy friends you'll have to spend every waking minute with her. Marriage is her end game once that happens your life will become miserable b/c she'll think you won't leave

16. mrflicharger

She can have a male friend. I could care less. If this friend was an X, I prolly wouldn't like that, a plutonic friend is different. We talked about it today. I told her today, if she wants this to work, this kind of stuff is not going to fly.

SHe has been married b4, and he cheated, so I said I am not him, and do not want to be compared, and she needs to get a grasp of it, or it is over. I Left, she hasn't called me yet......

17. iwishyouwerebeer

Good for you man, you need to stand up for yourself. I understand she's been hurt but she also needs to realize you're not her ex husband and if she truly trusts you she would be ok with you having platonic female friends. Also, whenever you hang out with them do you ever invite her?

18. mrflicharger

No. because they both live far away, but she did call me today, and said she will do whatever it takes to make me happy, and she will try not let it bother her. I warned....I am not gonna take it....so so far things are ok.

19. iwishyouwerebeer

Rock on man, so glad you stood up for yourself. You would never ever be happy with yourself and your situation if you married someone who told you you couldn't do something you loved or see people you care about.

20. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

good for you..

21. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Did the right thing.

Any partner, male or female, who wants to stop you having friends of the opposite sex is not worth the time of day imo

22. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

This.

I dumped my fiance because he told me that I couldn't have male friends anymore.

23. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Good for you not taking that crap but she's going to go back to her old ways soon enough when a woman tells you she's going to try not to let it bother her that means it really bothers her and this issue will be coming up again...at least in my experience thats what I've seen happen

24. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Just tell her that you have had these female friends since before you met her... and if she continues on this track you will have them after you have known her.

Jealousy like that is highly overrated. I can either trust my partner or I cannot.
    She is free to have male friends. If she cheats on me then that isn't my fault for allowing her to do something.
    That is her fault for being a skank.

25. First Blood

First Blood Guest

don't do it, i'd dump my gf if she asked that, next she will be telling you not to hang out with your male friends or certain ones because she does not approve of them