SRS GF suicidal on Seroquel, Prozac, Wellbutrin - advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PocoDiablo, Sep 27, 2005.

1. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

So my GF started a program of anti-depressants - Seroquel, Prozac, and Wellbutrin XL. 7 days ago she began, but within 2 days she had pretty much lost her appetite, and eating made her feel naseous. Over the weekend, she started to feel a little better, but then after one day of work at her over-loaded, ultra stressful job she pretty much fell apart.

Last night she was sitting in a ball on the couch, curled up, rocking back and forth. I tried to get her to come to bed, but she said she was not sleepy. Eventually she did, but after I fell asleep she was back up and in the kitchen. She essentially told me she was feeling very suicidal, and to put all the knives in the house away... :eek3: which I did. I got her back to bed, and she stayed all night.

This morning she called, still a wreck. The psychiatrist she is seeing said to stop taking the Wellbutrin and Prozac, and take a Seroquel now (10:00 am) and one in 3 hours (about 1:00, 1.5 hours from now.)

From my research I find that they all have a wide variety of side effects, and getting the dosage right can be a real lengthy process.

It's hard for me to take care of her, because I work an hour away, but if she is going to try and kill herself I don't want that, either, and getting her locked up will do no good because she's not normally suicidal.

Does anyone have any experience with these drugs? What can you tell me about experiences you've seen? Does this "stage" pass, or get worse, or ... what should I expect.

2. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I should have posted this in the asylum, my bad... mods move?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No one on here can give you medical advice for this. You should get her to her doctor (or another one for another opinion). That seems like an odd mix of meds. Was the doctor that prescribed them a psychiatrist?

Also, do not let her abruptly stop taking those meds without medical supervision.

4. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I don't think I would be looking for medical "advice" per se, but more of an idea of what other folks may have gone through... is this normal? I am trying to gauge what she is going through, and what options she may have.

Yeah, the psychiatrst prescribed all of those. I know that the Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, which seemed kind of steep to me. She's not psychotic, at least not in the classic sense.

The doctor told her to stop taking them this morning and just take the Seroquel, like I mentioned. I'm just trying to decide - really - if I should go home.

Quite frankly I am thinking it would be a smart thing to do. She's a wonderful person, but I believe she does have a chemical imbalance which meds may be able to help. IF the psychiatrist can get them right.

5. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

She needs God, not drugs! Shit, stupid chemical dependent society! If anything, get her some melatonin so she can sleep, and find out what's causing her problems.

6. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

I could not agree with you more. I have been fighting for years to prevent her from taking any drugs at all. I don't believe you need them, at least not in her case. She's a highly functional woman, no worse than anyone I have met. In fact, she's better than 99% of the women I have ever met! But she finally got feeling suicidal too much, so we decided to try some medication.

The drugs have some *whacked* side effects, as far as I am concerned, and I cannot fathom taking a drug that solves one problem but creates ten or twenty more.

But that is not the issue here - not any more. She *IS* on the drugs now and I could use some informed advice on what to expect.

7. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

she's on Seroquel,damn, I took one before and it had me more messed up than any drug i have ever taken legal or not, I'd get her off that, they made me feel super weird and i couldn't close my eyes because my mind would race out of control

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You probably should be around her today at least. She hasn't been on them long, but stopping an anti-depressant can cause a temporary depression.

I had a friend that was on wellbutrin and her reaction was bad as well. Not like your GF, but it most definitely didn't agree with her. Wellbutrin seems to be one of those drugs that either works very well for a person, or works very poorly. I can't even begin to imagine what that combo would be like.

9. Ivoryflame

Ivoryflame New Member

I don't like any of the drugs that are prescribed for depression and such. If she is feeling suicidal then my advice to you is to stay close to her.
    My brother was put on Meds for depression and anxiety and ended up committing suicide. If she is telling you that she's afraid she'll hurt herself...I would take that very seriously. Better safe than sorry....
    Good Luck

10. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Quick update, folks. I left work early and spent (and am spending) the rest of the day with her. We're trying to figure out if she should try taking more Seroquel at this point, or not. She's very upset, visibly agitated. She's probably going to have to end up quitting her job tomorrow due to the fact that the position is too stressful, but she canbarely even do that - she isn't comfortable driving (that drug messes her up) nor does she want to deal with them being mean, as it could upset her more.

Otherwise, she's doing ... well, shitty. But hopefully things will work out.

Thanks all for the info, it's helpful.

-J

11. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

There are documented studies that show a percentage of the population (10% - 20%, depending on the study) become suicidal when first introduced to anti-depressants. The majority of these folks pass through this stage and become more stabilised, others do not and may go on to attempt suicide.

It is not up to me to suggest what course of action is right for your gf, I can only suggest you stick by her while she adjusts to being on it, then off it. If she gets back to the point of feeling suicidal and it is too much for you to handle, head into your local emergency room and talk to a Doc. If you don't want to go to a Doc's, then head to your local shopping mall and sit amongst people... she is much safer with more people around, as compared to being on her own, or just alone.

If you have any specific questions or would like some additional guidance, please PM me and I can help you in whatever way you need. I am student clergy and part of what I do (and have done extensively in the past) is crisis counselling... including dealing with suicidal persons.

12. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:rofl: / :ugh:

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dude... CALL THE DOCTOR. CALL HIM EVERY DAY UNTIL THIS GETS BETTER.

14. make sure you get a second opinion. If they get the meds wrong, they can actually mess you up more than you already are! I know someone that this happened to. She was misdiagnosed and put on meds that we later found out made her crazier than she actually was. So make sure you get a second opinion on her meds.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You don't need a second opinion. It doesn't work like that. Jesus. If you don't like this doctor, go to another one. Sounds like your girlfriend was in a MAJOR depression in the first place, or 3 medicines would never have happened.

16. BradUF

BradUF Guest

So all doctors are right then?

17. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Well, she has been in contact with her doctor every day. At this point, the doctor is having her take the Seroquel a few times a day as it has a heavy sedative effect. She has stopped taking the other drugs. She is seeing a little improvement, but when the drug wears off she starts falling apart again. She quit her job last night, which was a major source of stress, so we'll see how she does today.

Ugh... what a mess.

18. no, it does work like that. And whats wrong with getting a second opinion anyway? Why are you so against it? Not every doctor is going to get it right every time. She does sound like she has issues, but it cant hurt to ask the professional opinion of more than one person.

19. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

She actually really likes this new doctor. However, with her quitting her job now she does not have health insurance. So now another issue to deal with will be to get her COBRA.

Shes doing much better today, what with not having to go into her hellish job. I think that has a lot to do with it, frankly. They hired her on as the office manager, which was a chill job. Then they dumped all of HR and Payroll on her, and hired 300 new people who have to be processed by Oct 1st. She was working 10-12 hours a day. They also tricked her - they offered to pay her $17/hr, but then made her salaried. Working 55 hours last week netted her $12/hr. She was kinda pissed when she found out about that, too, and I don't blame her...

20. bdunosk

bdunosk Whoops...

Well... the problem with putting a depressed person on antidepressants is that it gets them feeling just well enough to attempt to kill themselves in the early stages.

It's good you have a psychiatrist handling those medications, they're generally really complicated in terms of side effect profiles and interactions. I won't even begin to comment on combinations because I'd be making stuff up. After 3 months of radiology, and finding out I passed Step 3, I'm not retaining a lot of the details of "regular" medicine. Just rads. Anyway, good luck...

21. Chicago

Chicago Unleash The Dragon - Sexy Rexy For President

sorry i don't have any really good advice for you on this but i wish the both of you all the luck and i hope things turn around for the better.

i have a cousin who is suicidal, she lives in cali and i live in texas. I'm the only person that really knows that she's suicidal and all of the problems that she's encountered through her life. She's tried telling her family but they don't reallly care. She's about 24 or so i'd say now, been suicidal for about 3, maybe 4 years now, off and on for the most part. Just talking to her about life, future goals etc helps her. I guess basically just make sure you're there for her when she needs you most.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

First of all I'm against it because its expensive and wasteful. I'm against it because this is a routine matter, and wasting valuable money and time double-checking everything is rediculous. Second of all I'm against it because it strongly embraces exactly the opposite attitude that she needs. She needs to trust, and work with her doctor. Not second guess everything that he does to the point that you need to see another doctor. If you aren't sure about what he is doing: ASK. Work with him, not against him.

See what the second psychiatrist does when you call him for a 'second opinion' every time your meds are changed.

Sheesh.

23. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

So an update, for all those wondering. She's off everything except the Wellbutrin. And the change is amazing. She was practically giddy all day yesterday. I stayed home from work because I was physically and mentally exhausted from everything that was going on, and we had an amazing day. We didn't really do anything - we slept in, got a snadwich at a shitty deli, test drove a WRX, went to the mall and put something on layaway, had a drink at a little bar, and then went to the house and had some more drinks. It was really nice outside, so we sat in the back yard and just had tons to drink. Then we had sex for 3 and a half hours... :eek3: Then I made dinner and we watched some TV until she admitted to me that she was crazy horny, and she tried to jump me again, and she was totally giddy the whole time. I was too tired, so we took a bath instead.

I read that one of the side effects of Wellbutrin was supposedly "sexual dysfunction" but they don't tell you that it makes you horny. From my research, it seems that most younger women on W get horny, so now maybe I've got a nympho on my hands. :dunno: That's fine by me, by comparison!

So, at this point, everything seems to be better than fine. The Seroquel just knocked her out and made her mind race, which was bad. She's stopped taking that. Dunno about the Prozac. Wellbutrin seems to be doing a very good job, though, so we're going to stick with it for a while.