GF Has a virus.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Voltekker, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

My gf has a virus, i need a good free virus scanner any suggestions ? :wtc:

2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Tell her to wear a rubber next time.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

McAfee Stinger. It's free and it runs off a floppy disk, which makes it easy to download the scanner on a computer that's not infected, and then to transfer the scanner to the infected computer.

Run the scan with the infected computer in Safe Mode.

4. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

Thanks for the serious awnser going to try it now.

5. deusexaethera

Best of luck. Post the results if you find anything; various people here will be able to tell you what further steps you'll need to take based on the specific viruses that are discovered.

6. Terikan

Terikan Guest

stinger only goes for specific viruses and trojans. If it doesn't remove it, you can try AVG and Avast, both with free home editions at download.com

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Oh man...I had serious issues with McAfee back in the day ~4 years ago. I will never, ever recomend/use their products again. They were complete trash back then but because of their past history, people were very loyal to them and praised them constantly. Too bad that reality did not meet the hype....at least for me it didn't.

Norton on the other hand has been excellent. You can use the install disks as boot disks and scan an infected machine. Nothing is 100% effective but I've had much more success with Norton then I ever did with McAfee....and Norton has caught ever virus/trojan that tried to install itself.

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

avg free > norton > mcafee

9. deusexaethera

McAfee Stinger is not McAfee VirusScan. I hate VirusScan myself, but Stinger has removed viruses from office and college computers several times successfully for me. So, I'm inclined to keep using it when I have viruses that need removing.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Use AVG. Shit like stinger is used for a quick fix. She has one, who knows what else she has.

11. Coottie

But it's made by the same company right?? Well that's enough for me. :)

12. deusexaethera

Did you know that the Corvette is made by the same company as the Geo Metro? Yeah. Brand name isn't everything.

We're not talking about preventing viruses from infecting the computer, we're talking about removing viruses that are already present. The first thing any good virus does is position itself to hide from -- or attack -- any antivirus software installed on the computer.

The advantage of Stinger is, because it fits on a floppy disk, it doesn't need to be installed -- it runs right off the floppy disk, which can be very easily protected from viruses by flipping the read-only switch in the corner of the disk itself. It also runs in Safe Mode, which prevents all but the most tenacious viruses from being able to run -- no virus, no matter how nasty, can do any harm if it's not running.

Viruses that aren't running are much easier to catch. Using the AV program in Safe Mode is a good way to keep viruses from running. Stinger can run in Safe Mode. Do you see my logic here?

13. Coottie

Yeah those are good points. That's the way we used to have to clean viruses but we'd just use the Norton disk. IIRC it boots it's own OS which is very lightweight and then does the scan from there. I don't think it calls anything from windows to boot either...but it's been soo long since I had to do this, I may be confused.

I guess my hatred for all things McAfee comes from all my frustrations and headaches with their products. We originally had the corp edition of Virus Scan running at the office but had tons of viruses. Then I bought, EVP or MVP or something like that. It was a new product of theirs and provided some nice looking management tools but it broke other software on the machines. We also had numerous viruses defeat it.

When we got Norton Corporate, all headaches were gone and we never had to spend time working on cleaning viruses. I've used the personal editions for ~5-6 years now and every virus has been trapped and stopped immediatly. I've never had to reinstall my OS either.

So when I compare my experience with both, I just steer clear of all things McAfee.....but that's just me.

14. deusexaethera

For what it's worth, I have the same opinion as you, with the sole exception of Stinger. If I hadn't been forced to try it at one point, I'd never have found out that it can actually do its job fairly well.

15. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

its HPV

16. deusexaethera

(slap)

17. Coottie

That's good to know...thanks. I'll keep it in mind if I ever run into problems.

18. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

I'd grab the 30-day copy of Kaspersky, install it, update it, and run it in safe mode overnight, and set it to kill anything it finds.