MIL getting your old job back

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pen15club, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pen15club

pen15club New Member

Hey, I know i have never posted here before but I have a question if you could help me out. someone told me about a bill or law or something, that basically says that if you leave a civilian job to go into the military, when you get out you get that exact same job (and possibly any promotions at the job you missed) back, even if the position was filled because you were gone. Does anyone know the specifics or where I can find the actual wordings on it. Thanks

2. NPH

NPH Guest

Might be in the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act? I know what you're talking about and I've seen it before, but can't remember exactly under what act that falls under.

3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

http://esgr.org/userra.asp all the info you need is there. Basically you have to had given advance notice of your leaving with intent to serve, have less than 5 cumulative years of service, come back in a timely manner after you get out, and have an honorable discharge.
    This is a .pdf of the poster that all employers are supposed to have posted pertaining to it, it summarizes your rights in less legalese language than the full link I posted above. http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/USERRA_Private.pdf

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

Its either the same job or the another job of the same rank if I remember correctly. You have to give your employer 6 weeks notice prior to leaving and 1 month notice before you return. You must return to work the day after your orders end give or take a couple for travel time (negotiate with employer before hand). Make sure you get everything on paper, leave on a good note and you should be good.