A&P Getting your digital pics printed?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by il_duce, Jul 15, 2007.

1. il_duce

il_duce OT Supporter

I just used a 20 free prints deal at Costco to print out some 4x6's of some shots from a recent trip. These were more than just "snapshots", and I had done a fair amount of post processing to get them to look just how I wanted.
    I picked up the prints this afternoon and most of them don't look like they do on my computer. Are there any tips (color profiles, color mode, etc.) for making prints look better? I realize Costco may not be the best quality... what other places have pretty good print quality?

2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I know kodak picture kiosk things "post process" your pictures for you, I hate them for that

3. sony

sony Active Member

The first thing you want to do is calibrate your monitor. This can be done with a colorimeter which measures the output levels from your monitor and creates a profile for it, or through software based calibration. The hardware route will be best, but it also costs money.

Some of the more affordable colorimeters are the Pantone Huey and the Eye-one display LT, or the Spyder 2 (there are probably others, but i haven't used or heard of them so i will not list them)

On the software side you haveAdobe Gamma and some others. You can also used charts and stuff found here (also gives a better description of what you should be doing)

After you calibrate your monitor, you can now trust it for post processing. See, before you might've processed a photo to your liking, but say your monitor was too warm.. the actual picture would end up being too cool, which is NOT cool!

The next step is to go here:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/

Hopefully they have the printer profile for your Costco printer. Download it and save it to where the site tells you to (go here)

After you process the pic on your cal'd monitor, convert the picture to the printer profile. Save all the pictures and bring it to Costco. When you get the pictures developed, specifically tell them not to adjust/post process your pictures!

edit: Also if you're getting yoru stuff processed online at places like mpix, adorama, etc. they usually have their ICC profiles available for download or if they aren't up you can request them via e-mail. Just make sure when you use those that you uncheck processing of the photos when you order.

good luck :(

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. mojito

mojito New Member

phi hit it on the head.

make sure you have the correct .icc profile, or keep it srgb and turn it off color correction.

costco can be great, but I would also look into WHCC and MPIX.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

costco is actually a very good place to get prints done...most of the problem is the user submitting the photos and the computer they're doing it on.

6. il_duce

il_duce OT Supporter

I'll check out the .ICC profile. I think they may have done their auto post processing on it. I'll be sure to request for them not to do that next time.

Thanks for the advices.