Getting Xbox 360 wired on our Network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JBknights10, Dec 18, 2007.

1. JBknights10

JBknights10 New Member

I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and want to figure out how to get it online through Ethernet. On our main floor in my dads office we have a Westell WireSpeed DSL Modem (model number 2110) connected to the phone line, with an Ethernet cable in between that and our Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54G). My dads work computer is connected directly to the router through Ethernet. Both of our other computers are connect wirelessly and are in the same airspace as the router.

I'm putting the 360 downstairs in the basement, and it will be right next to a phone jack. Is there a way to get it connected through ethernet on our home network? I don't really want to go the wireless route if the Ethernet cable is included and will be more reliable. Should I get another router, like a connection point or something or get another modem and just connect through there? I'm new to this, thanks.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Is the building already wired for Cat 5 (ethernet) cable? If so, is it a phone jack or ethernet jack that is located next to the Xbox 360? You'll need an ethernet connection in order to connect to Xbox Live.

3. JBknights10

JBknights10 New Member

Older house, only wired for phone. :wtc:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

run cat6

5. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

Depending on how old the house and whether or not you can drill a small hole, just buy a long ass cat 5 cable and get tricky with it.

6. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

There are many options for ethernet over inside power lines and phone lines. I've got no personal experience with using them, so I can't vouch for the speeds they get, interference, etc. Here's some information about HPNA.

7. JBknights10

JBknights10 New Member

Well if upstairs we have a DSL modem in our phone line which provides an ethernet port, can't I do that down in my basement and still be on the same internet as my computers?

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It doesn't work that way. DSL uses a phone line to give you access to the internet. The phone jack is not an internet jack.

Best way is to get a network cable down in the basement or go wireless.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Wireless will be the cleanest solution.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, wireless is the quickest to setup but will NOT be the cleanest solution. The cleanest solution would be the most professional and require the least maintenance, and wireless does NOT fit that bill.

cat6 is the cleanest solution.

11. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

If you have drop ceilings just run a cable, If you don't then it may be better for you to buy a wireless card for your dads desktop and move the router and dsl modem downstairs to that phone jack. That way the 360 will have a hard line and the computers should be fine on wireless.

12. JBknights10

JBknights10 New Member

13. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

14. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I hate to harp on it, but is HPNA so bad that no one will even acknowledge it as an option? No offense to the thread starter, but he doesn't even know what an access point is for...HPNA would be a plug-and-play, 100mbps connection as far as I can tell. I realize Cat6 cable is the most direct and solid connection, but he might not be able to do this.