SRS Getting worked up about a new job

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Ive been there a week.. and I know its too soon to decide if I like it or not.

When I am there.. everythings fine for the most part but the entire weekend Ive spent dreading going back.

I think I dislike the fact its pretty unstructured right now. Im the first in a new program designed to mentor people up to speed. Its a little aggrivating not knowing whats going on.I know.. I have control issues

Part of the problem is that I havent had a full 40 hour a week job in a loong time! Im used to jobs that are like 5am-2pm which leaves me the afternoon free. Now i spend about 2 hours commuting each day and that eats up the day. Basically I get up. go to work and come home and sleep.

Anyone got any advice? This things kicking my ass! I know Im not the first though

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Sounds pretty typical. I do pretty badly when it comes to big changes. I went from a full-time student with a part-time job serving at a restaurant (bullshit hours). Then I graduated and immediately started my first full-time job. I was freaking out to say the least because really I was just not in a routine. It honestly took me weeks to really accept and get used to the fact that I had to really grow up and deal with my 40-hour work week.

Doing it for a few weeks in a way sort of makes you numb. The way I perk myself up though is by rewarding myself. I don't even get home until 8 at night, so you can't really complain your day is gone if you are home by 6. There's plenty of things you can do before bed. I reserve all my errands for Sunday and try to go out at least 2 nights a week to do something fun. I look forward to those days and I'll also plan things for the weekends.

Just takes getting used to honestly :dunno: If you realize it truly is the job you dislike (which I doubt) then you can leave. But give it a month, give it a chance.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The saying goes that God wants us to bring order in chaos, now im not asking for some sort of religious swing in your life, but the idea that you need to be the one who brings order into chaos in your life is correct, i see it like this you spend so much time there. Why don't you help bringing structure,order and tidyness into the big mess it is now? Its a challenge and working on these things also gives you insight into the new job. A small person can conquer a mountain, so never be afraid of something that looks like a mountainsize problem, just take it one step by the time and you'll be fine.

4. Maestro

Maestro New Member

I was the same way when I first start my internships. I've done 3 all relating to finance, but different aspects of it.

While it's not a full time job, I still worked 40-50 hours a week, and it's pretty hardcore difference attending school then doing the full-work thing for 10-12 weeks.

It definitely takes time to get use to, I was pretty much like you; work, go home, and sleep. But, as you get use to the routine, you learn to manage your time better and things won't be as bad.

If you're helping people get up to speed, you obviously have exposure and experience in whatever you're teaching them. Setting up your own structure or asking around, whether it be other people at work or asking people you know who work in related fields etc.

5. Maximumjmz

Maximumjmz New Member

If this is your first 9-5 job and if you quit within the first few months, then you will have a much tougher time finding another one. Employers will not even consider your resume if you do not work at least a year in your current job.

6. Mr. Pelham

Mr. Pelham Guest

Its a numbing phase. After a while you will adjust and get into a rhythm and it won't be so bad.

If however, you still don't find that you fit then move onto something else.

I was in a similar boat. I was self employed working my own hours, coming and going as I pleased, made great money and then it all ended and I had to get back to a regular 9-5er which made me extremely depressed. After a few weeks I adjusted and its fine now :)

7. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

5 weeks later and im comfortable.

Thanks for helping me stay with the program!

Now the only problem is I expect more from other people outside of work. When I go out with women my expectations are higher and even with my friends i find myself expecting more. Nothing crazy but a noticible increase in expectations. IE.. if you say yours coming.. you better be there.. and when you say Ill be there in 20 minutes.. 1 hour is bullshit