GUN Getting UT CCW in CA...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by natelam, Apr 12, 2009.

1. natelam

natelam New Member

Happened to be back in CA for business/pleasure and met someone who teaches CCW classes for UT permits in Los Angeles...chit chatted a bit and I signed up for my class and will be doing all the paperwork and course this Wednesday!

The one bummer is that the state of my residency (MI) won't honor the UT permit since it's an out-of-state permit, but the state I'm moving to (PA) does, so I guess I'm alright.

Before anyone asks, I planned originally on getting MI CPL and then applying for PA LTCF but MI requires classes and things seem to be taking really long at most offices. PA LTCF requires references in the state and I don't know anyone there...

So I'm assuming with the UT, I can get reciprocity with 28 states including PA...

Anyone else have a UT permit, what were your experiences with getting it and how long did the process take?

2. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

If you get UT and NV, it is good in something like 37 states.

3. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I have mine all filled out sitting here, just need to get a photo taken and send it in :o

4. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

I'm not Asian :nono:

5. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

That's JDM babganoosh or whatever his name is.

6. The Cable Guy is one that works for an airsoft place.

7. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. You should prove it by posting more pics of your wife.

9. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Holy old picture [​IMG]

10. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

11. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

guys i work with kept trying to talk me into getting the utah one. but idahos i just have to fill out a single form, pay, and wait.

speaking of that. i forgot to renew my permit early, it expires today and i prob have 10 more days before i get the new one :wtc:

12. natelam

natelam New Member

Just came back from the class, it was a 1 on 1 with a guy named Ruperto Elpusante. Great guy, some range time, then a 3 hour class in his office that included some demonstration with a blue mock gun. Tons of different scenarios and interesting stories. Total cost was $150 plus $30 for range time and ammo. Notary and fingerprinting was $24. Application fee is $65. Not too bad, with a turnaround time of 45 days. Would do again!

13. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Better hurry, Utah is moving on ending the non-utah people getting utah permits. Hope they don;t end it while it's in process.

14. THT

Huh? I heard during my class a month ago that the state government loves the additional revenue generated by non-resident permits.

15. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

it slows in state resident permit issues alot.

16. SNDP

SNDP New Member

"Representatives from the Utah Department of Public Safety can expect to hear some very pointed questions from lawmakers about concealed firearm permits during tomorrow's Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee meeting.

"Can you quantify the benefits to Utah citizens and taxpayers of continuing to issue concealed weapons permits to people from outside of Utah? That's really what it comes down to. When we make a decision about whether or not to maintain a particular program or practice in the state of Utah, what we do is weigh the costs vs. the benefits," says Democratic Senator Scott McCoy of Salt Lake County.
    McCoy says the practice of issuing concealed firearm permits to non-Utah residents raises several concerns. One is an issue of public safety. McCoy says once a permit is issued to a non-resident, the state lacks the resources to make sure those people remain legally eligible to hold the permit. The other concern is fiscal. McCoy says the cost of performing the necessary background checks is using resources better spent elsewhere.

"Because we have so many concealed weapons permits applications from outside the state, our personnel at BCI are spending all their time checking the backgrounds of people from different countries and different states when they should be spending time checking the backgrounds of teacher applicants and daycare applicants and any number of other things for positions in the state of Utah," says McCoy.
    Tomorrow's interim committee meeting starts at 9 a.m. in room C415 at the State Capitol. McCoy says he plans to run a bill next session that makes only Utah residents eligible to apply for a Utah concealed firearm permit."

I don't have a problem with it, you can't get a utah driver's license in California, why would you get any other license?

17. THT

So? Not our problem :mamoru:

18. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Will be soon ;-)