getting truck next year

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by amac88, Dec 24, 2008.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

I plan on getting a new truck next year. Im gonna be trading in my 07 Toyota Yaris (really not my style of car, I need somethin that has power meaning a truck or V8 car) towards it. My girlfriend is also getting one, though not til much later.

My dad just got an 08 GMC Sierra, he likes it. Before that he had a 99 Dodge Ram 1500, the water pump went out twice, he ended up selling it after replacing the whole engine.

Should I stay away from Dodge? Im open to anything, though I would never buy a Honda, Mitsu, etc. truck because those just arent real trucks. I was looking at Chevy Colorados, though I heard they arent the best for towing stuff. I wouldnt be towing/hauling tons of stuff, unless I go camping or if I move or something like that. Can someone help me out in deciding?

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

What is the most you will be towing/hauling?

How much room do you want in the cab?

If you aren't going to be towing more than a small-medium boat and just need two seats and some cargo area, an extended cab mini like the Colorado or the Ranger will suffice. With the ranger, be sure to get the 4.0 v6, though.

Those trucks can usually haul 1000lbs of stuff easily and even with my 3.0 in the ranger (mazda b3000) I towed a a 19ft bayliner and pulled it out of the watter on a steep ramp with out much drama. On flat road I barely knew it was there. That was with a manual tranny also.

If you want more space for passengers, something like a 4dr colorado or explorer sport trac or 4dr dodge dakota will suffice.

If you want to tow a 20' RV or a heavier boat or haul quite a bit of stuff, a full size like the sierra or F150 or Ram will suffice.

Of course, it's always nice to have a full size, even if you are just towing what a mini could handle, just because it makes eveything way easier but the initial cost and cost over time is going to be much greater.

Dont discount Toyota mini trucks. The Tacoma is a good truck.

3. Pavester

Pavester New Member

foreign trucks are good. if you can find a tacoma with a trd s/c it would be a sweet little truck.

i have a 01 ram 1500 and its a reliable truck, the only problems ive had is bad wiring from the previous owner (botched system) and thefts and wrecks. they are cheap to repair. only going to cost me about $300 or so in parts to replace my bumper and around $500 to fix some theft damage (door,dash,stereo)

4. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

Trucks are so cheap right now there's not any real reason not to just spring for the 07-08 Silverado/Sierra.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I love my '08 Sierra :bigthumb:

6. amac88

amac88 New Member

Thanks guys, I really like the new Rangers, havent checked out Toyota trucks though Ill do that soon. I doubt Ill get much for the trade-in though, its an 07 Yaris with 52k on it and a small dent in the driver door.

7. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

:werd: but you can get a hell of a deal on used trucks too.

i :love: my 04 silverado..

8. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

fwiw,

my 04 silverado duramax has been great to me. bought it used with 99k, only problem so far has been a leaky water pump, which i replaced myself for about $100. over 120k miles now. when i bought it, the carfax showed the only thing being replaced was the Fuel injection control module at about 90k (electronic part).

my dad bought his 03 f150 new, 4.6v8 4wd. that damn thing has literally been rock solid and problem free except for a coil pack on one of the spark plugs at about 80k miles, easy fix. he has over 100k on it now.

my old 94 dodge was good to me too. my grandaddy bought it new and only replaced the clutch in it, i believe. he sold it to me with i think 89k and i drove it around for a while without any problems. 3.9 v6, manual, no options but a radio and A/C :rofl: not even a tape deck.

everyone knows though that the dodges didnt have very good auto transmissions, but that didnt matter since i had a manual. i hear that the new dodge autos are much better though.

domestic trucks are the way to go, IMO. the only experience ive had with foreign trucks is a friend with a tacoma and its a giant pile of shit.

9. amac88

amac88 New Member

My dad had a 99 Dodge Ram. It went through two water pumps in about 5 years, and he had to replace the engine once for about 2 grand. He sold it not too long after that.

10. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

x2 on the silverado with the duramax diesel.

i have one with 156k, and one with 130k and they run like champs.

11. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

X3 on duramax option

mine has 100k with the tuner set to 230+hp and she runs great. I dont tow things often. but its nice to know that when/if i need to i can hook onto whatever i want.

like when i was building my house
    [​IMG]