MIL Getting to be an officer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JSin, Sep 8, 2005.

1. JSin

JSin New Member

My officer application was declined (Navy). So now I'm looking for the next best route to get there. From the recruiters I've talekd to the best idea is to go nuclear and I would be eligible to be an officer in 2 years. Does anyone have any experience with this or know any other ideas?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Sticky for help.

(please keep the officer/noob bashing out of this thread)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  3. JSin

JSin New Member

I applied for 1. Aviator 2. Intel 3. NFO, I scored a 63 on my officer test, and had a 3.0 from college. Aviator and NFO were both closed to all except the perfect candidate's (80 OAR, 4.0 GPA). For intel they had 94 people apply and accepted 1. I was not that one.

My officer recruiter said it was going to stay more of the same, so if I was serious about this goal the most logical step would be going back to school to get my Master's or going enlisted.

I've looked through all the thread and spent hours researching on the internet and while there is a lot of information out there, there isn't much specific information on the details I'm looking for. So hopefully we have a nuke guy lurking around here who just applied to be an officer and got accepted and knows what the real deal is... otherwise, I'll continue to search.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I don't know if it would be helpful or even how it works, but what about enlisting and having the Navy pay for your school. By the time you get your masters, you'll have a few years under your belt and may make a much better officer candidate.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Un-sticking. Thanks, everyone, for jumping in so quick. :bigthumb:

6. JSin

JSin New Member

Not to be rude, but nobody answered my question. I was looking for an enlisted nuke guy that went OCS. I appreciate the help on the officer side, but I've basically abandoned that at this point, even though I wish gt07 the best of luck and anyone else.

7. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

In the navy right now if you went the E route first your best chance to make it is as a solid E-5 with your warfare specialization. Being a nuke is good but just as good is going the AECF ET/FC field or the STG/S fields. I've personally known 4 seperate people all ET/FC/ST that have gone on to the O community as E-5s.

From experience it's almost cake to get into OCS with all of your quals and sparkling evals. Right now the navy is so chock full of JOs that they send them to the fleet and on ships and have to make up jobs for them as it is and all the while still getting more and more from NROTC/Academy et al...

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

:wtc: Why do I even come into the barracks? :mad:

9. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

As far as army goes the answer is yes, you have to fill out an Active Duty Green to Gold packet which can be downloaded online and be accepted. (Application deadline for this year has been extended until October 1st.) There are several eligibility requirements such as you must have had 2 years of active duty and you must be accepted into a college as a junior.

http://www.rotc.monroe.army.mil/scholarship_HPD2/green/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  10. JSin

JSin New Member

What does FTW mean?

Based on the advice of a couple people, I'm going to look into the officer programs from some of the other branches. From my initial conversations with an Army recruiter they are taking basically everyone that applies. The only confusion is he wasn't clear on how your job/branch was selected for civilians coming in.

I also have a call into the Marine OSO and he is going to get back to me with more information. So thanks for that information gunsnwanker.

And based on gt07's advice I'm going to take a more serious look at my Naval officer application and improve some things (I had lame LOR's previously and didn't fill out all the extraciricular items) and reapply.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, and if you have anymore, drop it on me.