Getting the most out of my plasma with HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jmezz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

First off, I don't know that much about tv setups. I can buy something and install it no problem, but with all this HD and HDMI shit I'm not sure what to do.

My gf just bought me a Samsung 50" plasma tv and I want to get the most out of it.

I moved into a new place and I have Dish Network. Right now I don't have my own receiver, I'm basically running off another receiver but that is going to change soon.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a way I can install some sort of cheap box and / or cables so that I can watch my tv in HD? Or do I have to start by getting setup for HD from my satellite company?

Set me straight.

2. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Same situation. We had two TVs with boxes. We would have to purchase new HD boxes, a new HD dish and new LNBs. I heard there may be more wiring work that needs to be done as well. So right here we're looking at $500 or so. Sure I can sell my old satellite boxes for $150 or so, but it's still like a $350 outlay. Plus wiring installation labor if that was required.

So we ended up going with cable TV. The channel selection is slightly worse, but the monthly price is about the same, there's no upfront fee, and no contract to sign. We ended up with a 50% off for 6 months promotion, and a $50 credit for switching from satellite. For our non HD TVs we don't even need to get a box.

Good luck man. It sucks.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DirecTV upgraded me to HD for FREE. Came out and did the new dish and wiring for free. I could have got a HD box for free but I decided to pay the $99 to upgrade to the HD+DVR.

If you're paying $500 then you either have really shitty credit and cant qualify for leased equipment, or you're a tard and don't know how to talk to CSRs on the phone.

If your TV has a HD tuner built-in then you can get an antenna and receive your locals in HD Over-The-Air. However, nothing else will be HD.

DirecTV and Dish both do not offer HD locals in my area so I have an antenna for my HD locals (looks great) and DirecTV for all the other programming.

I currently use cable for my internet because they're the only provider that can offer me more than 7Mbps (currently 16Mbps with my cable). I tried their HDTV and it was a nightmere. Honestly, I don't know why people put up with cable tv. Quality was shit. Digital artifacts were prevelant on every channel. Audio was noticably distorted when compared to DirecTV. And although they DID offer locals in HD, they only offered about 12 other HD channels.... With DirecTV I get much more choice in HD non-local programming.

I looked at the new TurboDish offerings and it's tempting. It would be a slight-bit cheaper, and they do the HD+DVR for free. However, I do NOT like their dual-tuner boxes. Quality in the second room is shit. Secondly, they require 2 dishes to get me all the channels, as where DirecTV can do it with only one.

4. CrazyInteg

I dont have DirectTV and I did all my research from web boards. Was looking to buy equipment for satellite, not lease it. We currently own.

Also your cable HD quality will depend on your provider. No problems here.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay, so you WANT to pay more :ugh2:

I guess you simply can't fix STUPID.

6. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

:bowrofl: You guys are brutal.

I could give fuck-all if my box has the dvr in it. If it would come with the HD receiver for free then badass, but I'm not going to pay extra for it because I know I won't use it. My gf would probably come over and use it more than I would.

Man all this shit, all I want to do is just watch football in HD. :wtc:

7. CrazyInteg

You probably got the same plasma I did. Anyways, hookup some rabbit ears to the antenna input on the back, let your TV do an auto channel search, and you can watch the main networks in HD. So if your game is on one of those networks you'll be fine.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yep. You won't get ESPN or anything... but you'll get CBS/ABC/NBC/FOX/PBS.