Getting the most out of a car that [probably] can't sell

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ices, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ices

ices New Member

Hello, I plan on getting rid of my 15 year old car soon and buying a newer one. The problem is, I put brand new tires on all 4 corners and the engine is still very healthy. So why am I getting rid of it? Here's a list of things that are in need of replacement:

-Ball joints on upper control arms on both sides (ball joints are not replaceable so I'd have to replace the whole upper control arm)
    -Outer tie rod on drivers side and both on passenger side.
    -Sway bar bushings

In addition:
    -Tints are all peeling
    -Body damage on left and right side doors from being backed into. Drivers door doesn't close easily and there's some rust.
    -Rear defroster broken
    -ABS doesn't work
    -Trunk airshock (or whatever it's called) is broken
    -Cigarette burns on the passengers seat and back seats
    -Cigarette lighter adapter is broken
    -Passenger's side window motor about to go
    -Shift knob is falling off

I just paid $400 for tires and the engine is strong so it's hard for me to get rid of the car NOW. But to pay another $600-800 to repair the suspension just to end up with a car that's still mediocre doesn't seem like a good idea either. What is the best way to get rid of the car? I don't know if I can get much money for it with all the cosmetic damage. Should I sell it to a junk yard? If I part it out, the only parts worth anything would be the tires/rims and engine, so how would I get the car to a junk yard? Insight please.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Scrap it for the parts that are still good or go to a scrap yard and see if you can pull a whole upper control arm/spindle/lower control arm assembly w/o messing up the ball joints and replace it on your car so all you need is bushings and tie rod ends (cheap).

Or go to Rockauto.com and get the cheapest parts they offer for your car and drive it until they take a shit then rinse and repeat or scrap it at that point. BTW how bad is "needing" ball joints and tie rod ends? Need as in it is close to becoming a danger or you keep loosing alignment or are the boots just torn and they are starting to make a lil noise?

3. ices

ices New Member

I need them as in there's quite a bit of give when doing the "hands at 3 and 9" and "hands at 12 and 6" test. There's also enough instability at the passengers side that there's vibration under heavy braking (already checked the pads, they're fine). At this point, getting an alignment would be a waste of time since there's so much slop in the steering.

4. GammaRadiation

Do you have money for a newer, decent car or will you end up driving another car that will be in the same condition in 6mo?

5. pbjsammich

pbjsammich New Member

Agreed, we need a little more info on your financial situation.

If you have some history with the car, you know what's right and wrong with it. If you get rid of this just to get into another high mileage, older vehicle, then I suggest you keep this and invest some money into it. I got through college in a 1980 K-5 Blazer thanks to pick-and-pull type junkyards. As long as you know what you're looking for, you can walk out of those yards with a lot-o-parts for cheap. Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap NEW parts were for that particular older vehicle.

As with any major decision in life, write down all the pros and cons. I know this is somewhat of a cheesy scheme, but it actually works pretty well. I'm willing to bet the right answer will be revealed by that alone.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd agree with these guys.... evaluate carefully just what you'd be doing if you were to replace the vehicle. One option you do have is to take the new tires you just bought and sell them on craigslist (should get most of your money back out of them if they don't have very many miles on 'em) and buy a cheaper, perhaps even used set on your car before you sell or trade it in.

It almost sounds like you missed the boat on cash-for-clunkers, frankly.

7. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Craigslist

8. ices

ices New Member

I bought this car for $5k back in high school as my first car and drove it all through college. I graduated about a year and a half ago and now work as an engineer in the DC/Baltimore area. I paid off all my student loans and have no other debts. I have a decent amount of money in mutual funds. I can afford to spend ~$22k cash for a car although I don't necessarily need to spend it all. I've made it this far being frugal my whole life want to treat myself to something nicer before taking another deep breath and saving for whatever else comes up.

I mainly want to capitalize on the fact that the tires are brand new. I was thinking about selling the rims+tires on Craigslist, but then how would the car get towed to the junk yard? Can I have the car towed, and then take the rims off when it's in the yard?

I was also thinking about sticking it on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, "as is". Do you guys think that anyone would bite on it?

9. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I think you should get a new car, after that time you should be ready to get a new car and enjoy it.

10. GammaRadiation

Go to the junk yard and grab a set of wheels and tires that fit the vehicle for as cheap as possible then swap 'em out and sell the new tires then drive the car to the heap. Given that you're in good financial standing and that you've driven the same vehicle for I'm assuming 7+ years, I'd personally ditch the junker and get a vehicle I really like. This is no questions asked, you deserve it in all honesty. After all, you didn't spend all that time busting your ass in calculus and engineering classes to worry about a shit box.

11. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

junkyard may well be your best bet. body panels and a running motor/tranny are already probably over the KBB of the car.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You can certainly try selling it as-is, but I wouldn't hassle with it myself. Just pull the wheels/tires and sell them, call a flatbed to drag the shit to the junkyard.

With $22K cash to spend you have a LOT of nice options available to you for a replacement.