Getting tested

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sapient, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sapient

sapient New Member

I'd like to get tested before I get too serious with this new girl. However, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever where to get a test done. I'd like a comprehensive one that covers pretty much all the common ones, just to make sure. Only problem is that I don't have a doctor, or insurance. I do have enough money saved up, I'm sure, but I'd still like to not pay a fortune for a test. Where can I go, how long will it take for results, how much will it cost, and are they going to do anything too invasive or just a piss / blood test?

Thanks a lot folks. :) Sorry if this is in another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere.

2. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

+1. I do have insuracne and a doctor, but the one time I asked her about it, she didn't really respond to me. So I am curious about where you can get this done at.

I am in the Bay Area and I have Kaiser (some people hate it, some people love it)

I am in the new market for a doc, but right now I am still good on my hypertension meds, so no need to see a doc now.

3. squid

squid braap

Your doctor is an idiot. Get a new one.

Your doctor should do it, if not there are clinics that specialize in these things. A location would be helpful...

4. sapient

sapient New Member

Columbus, Ohio

5. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Depending on your age/income:
    Planned Parenthood or the Health Department

6. sapient

sapient New Member

Ok, 22 and like $20k/year, which would I go to?

7. Nigel

Nigel Member

Just go to planned parent hood on broad street. its a little ghetto, but it will be the cheapest. they usually work on a sliding scale. not sure exactly on cost. ive always had insurance. as far the test goes, it is usually just a blood test plus visual inspection.

8. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Call Planned Parenthood first. I'm sure lots of things have changed since I used their services your lifetime ago :mamoru:

9. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

whatever is closer. search for planned parenthoods or clinics in your area. the cost is based on your income

10. sapient

sapient New Member

Ok, I'll do that today then. Thanks all :)

11. knucks

knucks Active Member

I got tested at the Health Department back home...I didn't have anything visual at the time but I was freaking out (well, I get cold sores from time to time, Herpes-1)

They told me all they can do is blood work, so syphilis + HIV.

12. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

Well, I can certainly help here :)

I went to the Columbus Public Health center.
    http://www.publichealth.columbus.gov/programs/programs_1.asp

It's located at 240 Parsons Ave, Columbus, OH

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=240+P...958405,-82.98038&spn=0.021612,0.04446&iwloc=A

Testing is on a sliding scale, $25 for low income/no insurance. They do a blood test for syphilis and the swab up the penis (hurts, but not as bad as many have made it out to be) as well as urine testing for the other STDs. They cover, I believe, the 7 most basic, but some (herpes, warts) they only do a visual inspection for.

I'd recommend getting there really early, and make sure you have plenty of time. I got tested on a Friday. The clinic opens at 7:15AM, I got there at 7:00AM, and I didn't get out until around 9:00AM. Also, make sure you do not pee for 4 hours before the exam (it might be 3, but I'm saying 4 just to be safe) and make sure you have been off of all antibiotics for at least a week before going or they won't be able to test you.

Good job on wanted to get tested before getting serious. If you decide to go this route and have any more questions, let me know. Good luck.

13. sapient

sapient New Member

Holy fuck!! :noes: Is there any other way, or am I pretty much guaranteed this no matter where I go? I'm terrified now.

14. XxvODvxX

XxvODvxX New Member

Get the test and don't worry about it possibly hurting i am sure the satisfiaction of knowing whether clean or not would be worth a slight bit of discomfort.

15. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

i've used planned parenthood as well. :)

16. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Good for you :bigthumb: Good luck!

17. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Good for you man :h5:
    I didn't know PP provided screening for men, stop by there.

The one on West broad is walk in only, you can't make an appt and need to get there way early to be seen.
    The one on campus takes a few days to get an appt, but you can schedule one and you won't have to drive to the other side of town and wait all day. I've had nothing but good experiences with PP, they're a really great organization.

Skype me :squint:

18. sapient

sapient New Member

Ahh, after reading your facebook status I understand why you're not on AIM anymore. How do I work this Skype stuff?

19. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Download it. You can use it as a phone over your computer, and its free to other skype users, you can also use it to chat (like aim)
    My name on there is just my first name and last name, no spaces.
    The internet in my hotel is super slow, and for whatever reason Adium and Mac Mail are both suffering.

20. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

:squint: wtf is the swab for if they're doing a blood test? They can have my blood but they're not getting anywhere near my peehole.

21. squid

squid braap

My understanding was that they could now do blood tests that checked for antibodies in place of the dreaded peniswab nightmare.

22. sapient

sapient New Member

Not my local branches. I called, she calmly informed me that yes, they would be use a q-tip, but it would be quick and she hasn't heard any complaints. Anyone actually have had this done to comment? My guess is that it's uncomfortable to mildly painful, but you psyche yourself out to the point where you perceive incredible tortuous agony.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

Just suck it up and get it done, it's for your health.

24. sapient

sapient New Member

Seeing as I don't have an alternative (not getting tested is not an alternative), I plan on it. I'm still allowed to be terrified though, right? :noes:

25. iwishyouwerebeer

Of course. Getting a biopsy felt like I was having my insides ripped out, but I did it for my health, you know?

The irritation of it goes away soon enough and it won't scar you for life :hs: