Getting stronger in a deficit?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Chris3G, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

I've been cutting since February, from 180lbs to around 160 currently. During this time period, i've gotten stronger in almost every area. Today i hit a PR on seated DB shoulder press of 80's for a few reps. (Which is my bodyweight, it seems like such a short time ago i thought i'd NEVER be able to do any more than 60's)

In the first week or two of cutting i kind of went in with the mindset that i was going to get weaker, and i did. Somehow though i was able to get over that and since all my lifts have been going up, despite the relatively quick loss of weight. Im definitely not complaining, but just wondering if there was any good reason why this could happen. This will be my 10th month lifting, it is possible to still be seeing "noob gains" at this stage?

2. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

:ughwerd:

You must have damn gorilla strength. :eek3:

3. Chris3G

i'm 5'7 - 5'8 , and i got 3 reps. i've been doing 75's for 5-6 for the past couple of weeks. I will take this as a compliment :)

4. iwishiwascool

iwishiwascool Lurker

Ive gotten a bit stronger on my Dead and Squat while cutting. 35lbs on the dead and 15 on the squat.

It happens. Muscles can gain strength in a deficit, especially for noobs or people back from a long hiatus. For the specific reasons, ill leave that to the more informed.

5. Chris3G

one thing i probably haven't improved in at all is deadlifts. i hurt my back a few weeks ago and haven't been able to do them for a while.

that being said i got 100's for 4 good reps on flat bench today, which is another improvement for me. I've been taking creatine at 2.5g/day for the past couple weeks, i'm going to bump it up to 5g/day and see how that goes.

6. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Show some cutting progress pics!

7. Chris3G

i have a thread already where i've posted some stuff, but here's a couple. The 2nd pic is about 2 weeks old now.

start
    [​IMG]

6 weeks
    [​IMG]

edit:

the lighting is different in those 2 pictures, here is a picture from today lit the same way as the original.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  8. Fucking nice dude. :cool:

What's the diet?

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Holy crap. Incredible results. Will you please do me a big favor and check out my thread (my cutting progress with *pics*) and tell me if I am going too slow or at the right speed to do as well as you? Thanks! Just comment on my thread, if you will.

Fucking fantastic results!

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Oh, and as said above, whats the diet?

11. Chris3G

i'm like 5'7" - 5'8" and little over 160 in the 2nd picture.

I really haven't been that picky about diet, aside from being sure i am in a deficit and keep protein up around 1 gm per lb. I've had days that could probably be considered PSMF, getting rougly around 1000 cals of almost all protein. Most days i was around 1600-1900 cals. Over the past week i've brougt it up a bit to low 2000's, and i'm going to eat at maintenance this week and next while i am in Las Vegas.

I generally go to the gym 4 days per week and i don't do any cardio, although i may start some light sessions when i get back from las vegas next week when the weather is a bit warmer.

I looked at your thread and it seems like you are making good progress. It's hard to tell because in your pictures you are less than 3 weeks in yet, but if you're down 15lbs already then just stick with what you are doing.

Also keep in mind i am FAR from an expert on any of this. As i said earlier in this thread, my first day ever in the gym was 10 months ago. I just go with the information i've picked up on this and other sites, as well as what seems to work for me.

12. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Are you boobs rock solid now ;D

13. D-GUy

D-GUy Guest

Good progress man, your other pics before didn't show half as much progress as the new ones do. Nice job, as for the PR's. What about better form or just better muscle utilization? You know, practice makes perfect(in a sense).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.